Why do modern day fighter pilots wear hard helmets?

dizietsma

Banned
Like this

f16_pilot_ted_carlson.jpg

I'd have thought they would be better off without it in high g dog fights.

And lets face it, it probably won't help too much in a crash unlike the ejector seat.

To my understanding (I could be wrong), it's not for protection. Modern fighter planes do not have pressurized cabin like a modern passenger jet, so the helmet is actually connected to a oxygen supply system to keep the pilot from fainting. Many fighter jets supply pure oxygen to assist the pilots sustain very high G maneuver better.

How are you going to connect an oxygen supply, microphone, headphones, a visor and a helmet mounted sight to a fluffy hat

I imagine there's some thought of protection as well. The pilot may not be conscious after ejection (especially if there's an issue with the canopy). Ejection isn't necessarily going to occur during flat level flight at altitude.

I imagine it's built to provide protection from head injuries inside the cabin, as well as during ejection. I could see a pilot without a helmet getting knocked out just with whiplash, hitting their head on the headrest or the canopy.

I don't think the canopy is within reach with their head, assuming they're properly strapped in (and I would assume that to be the case if they're flying a fighter jet... :p), but getting knocked out from slamming into the headrest would seem a very definite possibility if not wearing a helmet...

Speaking from experience, b/c i've been up in one of those damn things before. It's for protection!

You bounce around and hit everything in sight when the pilot decides to mess with you.

I don't think the canopy is within reach with their head, assuming they're properly strapped in (and I would assume that to be the case if they're flying a fighter jet... :p), but getting knocked out from slamming into the headrest would seem a very definite possibility if not wearing a helmet...
It is when they eject. Didn't you watch Top Gun? Poor Goose...

Bah, human pilots are going to become extinct anyway. UAVs will be the future. Skynet here we come!

Don't the pressurised fighter pilot helmets/suits actually push oxygen into the lungs during high-G manoeuvres, effectively breathing artificially for the pilots? I vaguely remember watching some TV science programme about this and the presenter found it a very unusual sensation. Understandably so, I'd have thought.

Don't the pressurised fighter pilot helmets/suits actually push oxygen into the lungs during high-G manoeuvres, effectively breathing artificially for the pilots? I vaguely remember watching some TV science programme about this and the presenter found it a very unusual sensation. Understandably so, I'd have thought.

It does that and more. The suit actually acts to somewhat counteract the G-forces pushing blood into your feet or your head depending on whether you are experiencing positive or negative G-forces through pressure applied to the body.

Regards,
SB

What do you mean by pushing oxygen into the lungs? You mean the suit compressing and pushing blood upwards? because it does that but I'm not sure if you could actually force oxygen into the pilots lungs using his throat/nose. Seems to me if you are doing some high G turns and have a couple of hundred of kilo's pressing on you chest and you try to pump air into the lungs that they could burst?

A quick google found the following information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-suit

I think that the bit I remember from the TV show was the partial-pressure breathing which automatically reinflates the lungs to some extent. The pilot has to actively expel the air from his lungs more than would the case when breathing normally.

That's not a modern day fighter pilot with his helmet, that's a 1970's one.
Take a look at F35 helmet and ask again:
http://www.dailytech.com/Fixes+for+Problem+Plagued+F35+Helmet+in+the+Works/article21023.htm

That's modern day for you - fancy, badass looking and they'll probably never get it working completely. Just like smartphones.

At the end of the day, the squishy human center is still the weak point of that plane. At least in terms of how many G's they can pull on a turn. In this article the manufacturer actually claims that rather than turn and face an enemy when they fire missiles at them, they just let the missiles do a 180 which I'm kinda skeptical about since I'm pretty sure the rockets only fire for a few seconds. It basically looks like we're already at the point where the human brain is not necessary in these jets.

Back