Why do desktops GPUs lack even the most basic power management features?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by corduroygt, Aug 24, 2010.

1. corduroygt

Banned

How hard is it to prevent the discrete card from powering up when you don't want to use it? Currently, the only way is to physically remove it. A solution that just requires a reboot could be easily implemented by a motherboard manufacturer by just not sending power to that card. A more sophisticated solution that enables switching on the fly like Nvidia Optimus on desktops should also be impelemented by Ati/Nvidia. Why can't I use my 890 northbridge gpu for all desktop tasks while only powering the discrete card(s) when 3D is needed? How hard is this to implement?

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Where would you plug in the monitor?

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

On a desktop the bus is designed to always be alive and turning off the power to the GPU effectively hot plugs/unplugs the device on the bus. Not great without a ecosystem to do it. It is achievable, but systems need to be designed for it; notebooks have the luxury of the specific GPU being designed into the system and features like this being design and qualified specifically for those components but desktop qualification needs to ensure that features work on a plethora of platforms.

Secondly, on a notebook the VBIOS is part of the system BIOS, so it is always loaded even in a switchable graphics system. On a desktop the VBIOS is on the graphics card and would need to be loaded everytime you power the device off and then back on again, which causes a delay reactivating the device.

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

hmm maybe ATi PowerPlay for desktop?

on laptop it will downclock the gpu and ram clock to save battery. Currently i usually underclock on PC using ATi overdrive (to make the fan very quiete), but its manual.

it will be great if it can detect game being played and go fullspeed. back underclock when exit game.

5. no-X

Veteran

Does it make sense? Are there any reviews comparing optimus system with standard system equipped by a GPU with good power managemenet features?

At the time of optimus launch I checked some reviews of mainstream laptops (I skipped high-end models and low-end atom-based systems, too). 2D power drain was very comparable independently on the GPU...

Code:
    Compaq Presario CQ61 - 315EC (Intel T4400 + Intel GMA 4500 MHD): 23W
    HP ProBook 6545b (AMD M600 + ATi HD4200): 17W
    ASUS M60J (Intel i7 820QM + NVIDIA GT240M): 22W
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y550 (Intel P7450 + NVIDIA G240M): 20W
    Lenovo ThinkPad SL410 (Intel P7570 + ATi HD4500): 17W
    Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 (Intel T6670 + Intel GMA 4500 MHD): 18W
    Why to implement such complicated solution, if the chipset-integrated GPU has nearly identical power drain as the "discrete" one?

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

To what end? Power consumption? On normal desktop mode the 5000 series use very little power already downclocking the GPU and RAM far below peak levels.

7. corduroygt

Banned

What's your definition of very little power, as it still seems to be at least 30W, whereas an IGP will consume 10W or less...

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

At least 30? Where did you pull that number from? The 5870 uses more like 15 on the desktop.

9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

The 5770 is rated at 18w idle.

10. corduroygt

Banned

The difference between 3.2W vs. 14W is a lot, and that's only a 5770, (5870 will be more) not to mention the excessive consumption during HD video. It'd help If I could use something with the footprint of a G210/5450 at all times while only using a 5870 during gaming....

11. Davros

Legend

even worse if you use a nv card for physx its always running even when your not in a game

12. AlphaWolf

Legend

Yep the 5870 is more. But not much more.

If you had to pay $10 up front for the extra chip to save you 12 watts. It's going to take you ~6000 hours to pay for it.

13. corduroygt

Banned

Why would I have to pay up for it to begin with? AMD could integrate an optimus-like solution in their IGP's, to have it as a selling point for their platform and cpus for example. If you're getting a radeon, get an AMD cpu/motherboard and we'll turn off that extra video card when you're not using it...

14. AlphaWolf

Legend

Building it in doesn't make it free and it wouldn't be a selling point for me if it cost $5 extra.

15. mczak

Veteran

10W more isn't really a whole lot. Dim your backlight a bit and that will save a similar amount of power...
    Really, I can't see Optimus-like solutions on the desktop anytime soon.
    At least nowadays graphic cards have quite a few power saving features which didn't exist until quite recently on desktop cards, even though the asics would have supported some (and those features were enabled in the mobile parts). Lower 2d clocks (with lower voltage), clock gating often weren't enabled - I think even for cards like 8800GTX that stuff was often (depending on card and maybe driver revision) disabled. That's not to say it couldn't get better - newest addition is lowering voltage for gddr5 memory when downclocked, so far a GTX460 exclusive on the desktop side.

16. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

ok, here's my question.

How do I disable my second GTX 280 in my SLI system?
    I don't want it to draw power when I'm not playing.

By simply disabling SLI, will the second card shut down?

Thanks.

17. Davros

Legend

Powervr managed it

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Check out some of the numbers here. There are some frugal chips out there, just not usually at the high-end.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-6.html

I remember that somewhere around the X800 that ATI added clock gating to the desktop. It was in the Mobility Radeons earlier though. The thing is that adding 10W doesn't really mean much to a desktop PC, but in notebooks it means a whole lot for battery life and that little bit of extra heat that's very tough to deal with.

19. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

there can also be a multi-monitor scenario where the second graphics card (primary being either integrated or discrete) could be switched off. so you third screen gets switched off in the process as well.

it would shave a few watts in a mainly 2D/low intensity 3D workstation, or some more in a surround gaming setting.