Why do ATI drivers like to get stuck at UVD clocks?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Broken Hope, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Broken Hope

Regular

This has been happening ever since flash 10.1 came out, it's rare but incredibly annoying when it happens. I was wondering why Starcraft 2 was only giving me 30 FPS when it's usually much higher, I check the overdrive tab and my card is running at 400/900 clocks and won't go any higher or lower.

This bug has been happening for a few months at least, using the 10.7 Catalysts. Why are ATI clock switches so buggy? The only way I can fix this is to reboot the entire computer which is the main annoyance.

[edit]

Adding some links to other people having the same problem.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15697889
    http://www.overclock.net/ati/661337-5770-getting-stuck-400-900-uvd.html

#1 Broken Hope, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
  2. tinokun

Newcomer Subscriber

Running the AMD GPU Clock Tool with the -restore switch fixes it without needing to reboot. But yeah, annoying as hell.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I've never heard of this problem before.

EDITED BITS: Those two links you gave are for a bug in the 10.1 drivers, from January.

4. Broken Hope

Regular

Yeah I downloaded that earlier after a bit of googling and saw someone say it could be used to reset the clocks, why the CCC doesn't have a reset clocks button is another thing.

[edit]

Yes those links are from Jan, that's how long the issue has been around, if not longer.

5. Broken Hope

Regular

The 10.9 drivers list they fix a problem where UVD wouldn't return to normal clocks when switching between HD and SD, does anyone know if this fix was for this particular problem?

6. Vadi

Regular

I get the issue with 10.9 too. An easy fix seems to be closing the IE9 window.