Why do all WoW clones stop short of the finish?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by MfA, Jan 25, 2011.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I was going to play the Rift beta tonight, but reading up on it the lackluster PvP support has turned me me off completely.

Class balance issues aside I think WoW PvP is the best PvP possible in a dual faction game. World PvP is never going to work well in a dual faction game, it was fun early in WoW because it was novel for a large group of people at once ... but that novelty wore off, and the situation is never going to occur again (because every game now starts with a group of players for whom it isn't novel to begin with). PvP in BGs is fun for a while but Arena is simply necessary for PvP ever to be an alternate end game apart from raiding ... despite all the hate it gets.

I actually quite like MMOs (enjoyed Warhammer for a while, but the dual faction aspect prevented any long lasting appeal) but I'm too much of a graphics whore to play WoW or Darkfall, too jaded to play poor WoW clones with better graphics from developers who think they know better than Blizzard (they don't) and not interested in spaceships. Oh well ... guess I'll just get some more hats in TF2 and wait for GW2.

2. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I have no idea.

I don't like MMOG anyway, as it's all about making you pay for long, and so dilluting gameplay.
    There's no reason combat is as dull as it currently is...

I'm playing Guild Wars since it was released, just finished Factions, so I now have completed all games.
    Not sure what to think of GW2, it's too much of a departure from the game I really like not to make me fear for the worst.

Anyway, 1 minute thought about WoW clones : Why play the same game w/o all your friends ?
    (Who likely play WoW.)

3. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Most WoW hardcore's are always looking for The Next Big Thing because they finish all new content introduced into WoW in the first few weeks then /afk in Dalaran doing LFD on alts because they're bored.

4. aaronspink

Veteran

You're joking right? Arena is boring. Extremely boring. And Arena is pointless and doesn't provide any real sort of endgame.

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

In my opinion truly competitive PvP (ie. ladders or seasonal leagues) is a form of endgame.

6. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Personally I was never interested in PvP but as far as other content goes WoW is still in a class of its own. It's just so well designed to always give you something to do that is more or less useful/leads to some reward you want/isn't too offputing, regardless of whether you're solo or in a small or large group. And when they introduced achievements its timesucking abilities just went stratospheric. To me, other mmorpgs I've tried tend to feel a little empty compared to WoW as far as different things to work on go. And when I imagine all that AND being into PvP I'm really glad I managed to let go at some point..

7. Davros

Legend

Ive tried a couple of mmorpg's and they all start in a similar way kill 50 rats/lizards/spiders/weird looking things by clicking on them and i just thought f*** this

8. aaronspink

Veteran

If I wanted to do ladders, et all, I'll play a game that actually does that well, which isn't WoW. GW has a much much better arena implementation or the various FPS that are available. Ladders aren't really even PvP. there is no there there.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Most MMO players don't want PvP so in that sense WoW's version of PvP is perfect. It is entirely and completely opt-in for the most part. Warhammer Online's PvP on non-world PvP servers was even better IMO. They made it extremely easy to jump into realm vs realm or arena based PvP if you felt like it, while avoiding PvP if you didn't.

For people looking for PvP though, it's anything but good. I hate PvP myself, although I somewhat enjoyed Warhammer Online's PvP.

The problem I have with WoW is that it's too easy, content is finished too quickly, good items are too easy to get, etc. And the problem I have about the WoW clones or games that attempt to WoWify themselves (EQ2 and VG) after launch is that they are moving away from their vision which people bought into and trying to make a game they didn't originally intend, which then drives away all the people that bought into their vision while not usually bringing in enough new players to counteract the mass exodus of players that DO NOT WANT WoW. :p

Regards,
    SB

10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I think you forget what wow was when it launched. IT was a buggy piece of shit that didn't even have pvp.

Wow is what it is because its 6 years after its launch and every patch and expansion has brought it to this point. If rift can last 6 years i'm sure it will offer a similar performance . Look at lotro its a good solid game and in some ways better than wow , eq2 is another solid game that has developed quite nicely . Some games like swg has gone the wrong way started off good and went to hell

11. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Your way back machine is apparently broken, WoW had PvP from day one. It didn't have rewards for PvP, it didn't have arena and it didn't have battlegrounds, but the ability to fight players from the opposing faction existed from day 1. 4-5 months later they added the honor system and rewards that you could buy based on a ranking system. 2-3 months after that they added the first battlegrounds alterac valley and warsong gulch. Arathi basin added a few months after that. About a year after initial release arenas were introduced etc. As for being a buggy piece of shit, it really wasn't that bad in terms of MMO's. Better than the vast majority of them.

Blizzard has done a good job with the carrot. They've constantly been adding something that players will hang around to see, or will come back. However, they really haven't been very good on maintaining that older content, they pretty much depend on the carrot. Fixes are low priority.

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

thanks for correcting me on the pvp.

However it was a buggy pos i remember the loot bug that would send your client into a nice long freeze for 20 minutes while it looted and i remember the first month or so of the game being down more than it being up .

Wow was not polished when it launched and wasn't polished for many years

13. hoho

Veteran

As was said it did have pvp when it launched but you are somewhat correct that it was a late addition they made during (public?) alpha or beta.
    True but problem is rift must compete with what wow is today, not what it was 6 years ago. If you need to wait for 6 years to get to where wow is today then wow will be something completely different and quite likely far better than it is today so rift would still have to play catch up if it targets what wow used to be.

14. green.pixel

Veteran

I personally am not interested in MMORPGs (I've played WoW and GW for couple of months) since your actions don't have an impact on the game world, there is no plot interactivity. You are just a peon in a world full of other peons. For me, role-playing is "interactive storytelling".