Why are tablets much cheaper than phones?

Modem adds a lot to the cost. Same tablet w/ and w/o LTE modem usually makes a difference in the ballpark of $100.
(...)

But it's a difference to the customer. There's no way that difference comes from BoM and IP licensing alone.

A bit off-topic, but aren't phone service plans even worse in Canada or is that changing? For that matter, are there countries that are even more expensive? Just curious. From the little I've heard, it can be even worse.
Canadian incumbents were considerably cheaper than Verizon and AT&T with 3-year contracts for subsidized smartphones. Now, with the CRTC mandated 2-year contracts, they've become a little cheaper with 1-2 lines and more expensive with additional lines per account plus some financial benefits for bringing your own device.

Most expensive is probably Telstra in Australia but in reality, most incumbent plans for large amounts of high-speed data and subsidized smartphones are expensive in most rich, industrialized countries. Check out the pricing for incumbents in Germany, France, Spain, etc.

Not all and not everyone. Today I saw that my mobile HTC One at goodguyselectronics costs cheaper than many tablets. But is really great cell phone!

Especially because this isn't true anymore?

At least with the arrival of dirt-cheap midrangers using Snapdragon 400/410 and mediatek chipsets, smartphones aren't generally more expensive than tablets anymore.

You can find budget smartphones at say 50 bucks as much as you can find a budget tablet in that price range.

"Miniaturization in phones is also something that needs to be considered"

What he said. I read an article the other day about how with the increase in phblets theres less and less room for real tablet....ermm, I can't find the link though

A =/>7" device isn't exactly what I'd call a phablet but a tablet. More a matter of perspective I guess.

Up to 5.5" displays we have clearly smartphones and devices between that and 7" are quite rare.

A =/>7" device isn't exactly what I'd call a phablet but a tablet. More a matter of perspective I guess.

Up to 5.5" displays we have clearly smartphones and devices between that and 7" are quite rare.

The reasonably popular Galaxy Note 3 and Note 4 with 5.7" displays would surely disagree with you on that. And these are just two phones among the numerous others available in this segment.

I agree with 3d foster though..a ~6" phone really makes a 7" tablet redundant. Unless you go for a 8" or larger device..it wont be much of a difference.

I should have said over 6" since that's what I had in mind.

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/Bill_Gross/557804178983378944

If memory serves well smartphones in that graph are up to 5.5", meaning roughly 900Mio for the past year and around 400Mio for "phablets". No idea though where phablets halt though.

Why do we have to make our lives so hard anyway? Isn't it good enough if we divide the market up to 7" and over 7"?

I should have said over 6" since that's what I had in mind.

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/Bill_Gross/557804178983378944

If memory serves well smartphones in that graph are up to 5.5", meaning roughly 900Mio for the past year and around 400Mio for "phablets". No idea though where phablets halt though.

Why do we have to make our lives so hard anyway? Isn't it good enough if we divide the market up to 7" and over 7"?

Ahh..if you meant 6" then I agree..there isn't much between 6-7". But the 5.5-6" space has a fair number of devices.

Interesting graph..they predict phablets overtaking regular smartphones in 2016.

We could but the phablet market is large enough to have its own segment IMHO.

A matter of perspective; you can either say that phablets overtake smartphones or be a wee bit more realistic and state that the majority of smartphones just get bigger (as long as you're not going over the 6" range). I hope the graph isn't counting 7" tablets as phablets as it would be right out silly.

That was not was I asked. If memory serves well they're using LTPS displays for iPhones. If they should use the same display type for iPads too then it doesn't explain anything; in any other case it could be a factor for cost differences.

Well… Phones are more expensive than tablets, why? 'Cause we are accepting to pay more for phone, simple.
No costs questions, from the start of mobile, we are the habitude than phones are expensive, so why lower the price when customers agreed? ;)

Back