Why are most Splinter Cell games on the PS2 so crappy?

PSman

Banned
Most SC games on the PS2 are pretty crappy. Why won't Ubisoft take the time to utilize the PS2 power and make a decent port so that PS2er can enjoy the Splinter Cell series properly? I mean I don't expect them to look every bit as good as the Xbox version, but I do expect a decent port.

This isn't attempt to start any flame war, just curious..

Technically, you could put up the same argument for the Gamecube versions. The unreal tech was never really made to take advantage of those systems. I guess they didn't want to spend the extra time/money making extra optimizations/features for the PS2 and GC which lacked the hardware pixel shader capabilities. I do remember though, Ubi did attempt to make the PS2 version of Chaos Theory a bit more favourable by implementing ''geo-textures'' (to emulate normal maps) and making some nice reflection/refraction shaders.

Wel lthe game had a lot of shadows, quite good lighting for the time and mapping/textures. giving the difference between the platforms I think this game played on the strengths of the xbox (mapping, shadows etc).

perhaps they could have upscaled the PS2 version to add more eye-candy unless they already did that.

I think its the hardware that was on of the problem, limited to what dev can do as compare to on xbox. Second is the first 2 games were made by Ubisoft of shanghai, which sucked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, game is build to run on Xbox \ PC.

Then is ported to a platform with half the memory and a much weaker GPU, and a slower CPU .

This porting, is supposed to be done at a very scarce budget by a team of not very talented developers at tight deadline scheudles.

Add it all up and you have a low budget, half the hardware and half the talent, there is no wonder that SC is not particularly good.

Just like PSP GTA is worse than PS2 GTA.

I wouldn't say GTA on PSP is like SC games, its done very good IMO for a handheld, and GTA LCS definitely look better than GTA3, and PS2 version of LCS IMO, lots of the special effects and lighting are dumb down on the PS2 version except it runs at a higher resolution with higher res texture. SC games are much worse on GC and PS2 than compare to Xbox.

Didn't the xbox's handle SC games better (Chaos theory) becouse of its better mapping abilities and to handle shadows?

Much like a FC and DOOM3 not comming to PS2 becouse of its less rendering power.

Didn't the xbox's handle SC games better (Chaos theory) becouse of its better mapping abilities and to handle shadows?

Much like a FC and DOOM3 not comming to PS2 becouse of its less rendering power.
Correct, such games were designed heavily around the concept of shaders, which were only possible in software (through multiple rendering passes) on other consoles at the time.

Back