Wholly unique/special ways to play in the next gen! Surprises inside

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
It is about time to talk about some revolutionary ideas that the next gen -probably the best, more mature generation of consoles ever- is going to bring to the table. Besides the expected increase of graphical power, there are other things to take into account now.

This thread is meant to be a compilation of new ways to play games, and refined or perfected formulas based upon well-known gameplay experiences, since games have been in constant evolution.

It is a thread where we can talk about these things and gameplay experiences that we find fabulously surprising or what we can expect from the future of games.

The future is very close -Wii U has been released months ago, so...-, and it will be within our reach in the months ahead.

XBOX ONE

Kinect is now an integral part of the experience and the system, and with a much better technology in Kinect 2, plus the astonishing sound quality that the SHAPE chip brings to the table, the gameplay enhancements and progression of ideas are more evident than they ever were on the Xbox platform.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The Xbox One can be played with your spine. :eek:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ine-as-a-third-thumbstick-says-microsoft.html

The idea is inspired by how people naturally lean when going into turns when playing racing games or first person games, and players shift their torso to the sides while holding the analogue stick of their gamepads in order to avoid other cars in a race, advancing enemies, etc.

This also means head tracking will be supported, but it is supported nowadays already, in Forza 4 for instance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The NPCs and the rest of inhabitants of the game can hear you through Kinect.

In Dead Rising 3, stealth is going to play a larger role.

Capcom added an option for the Kinect which adds to the stealth element of the game and now zombies can hear you through Kinect.

So if you want to avoid the zombies and play the sneaky way, don't yell at Kinect and remain silent:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/11/dead-rising-3-kinect-and-smartglass-integration-detailed/

You can wink at merchants in an RPG to get better deals -imagine Skyrim with this feature!- as suggested by the Wired Kinect demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4&hd=1

Thanks warb for the info. :eek:

winking-dog.jpg

Felicia Day plays Project Spark using her fingers to select things on screen without actually touching the screen. :oops: Great stuff, imho. One of my favourites.

Direct link to the very exact moment:

http://youtu.be/tA0xau_0cak?t=5m15s

Full video:

PLAYSTATION 4

With the support of an enhanced PS EYE camera Sony are going to add more bonus features for it. Both PS Move and PSEye together can be feasts of the technological advance, and with the Play Station 4 new DS4 controller it can only get better over time.

This video from Sony titled The Playroom showcases the PS4Eye and the camera's interplay with the PlayStation's 4 new DS4 controller.

In the video you see people interacting with augmented reality characters in a number of ways --like someone summoning a drone and confronting its antagonist by swatting in its direction.

There is another moment in the video where two people fling tiny robots into their living room using the DS4's built-in touchpad.

As seen in the video there is yet another moment where two players engage in a match of something that looks like futuristic Pong. They move their paddles around a playing field which has been projected in front of them.

Besides that PS4 could see Occulus Rift support, and Sony's CEO has also said that he liked the new Kickstarter legend very much.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=6442

These are all the new abilities the PS4 adds to the good ol' PS3 gameplay experiences, at least those I know of for now... -there is more to come in the future-

Oculus Rift Could See PS4 Support

The Playstation 4 has already announced a lot of features that make it very desirable, but there's always more potential.
It seems Shuhei Yoshida, Sony's head of Worldwide Studios, has tried the Oculus Rift and likes the peripheral, and won't deny that the PS4 will support it in the future...

When asked about it, Yoshida said "We've got a couple of the [Oculus] development kits, and I tried it out and I love it." He did confirm that the PS4 will not support the device at release.

When pressed about future support however, the only answer was a "No comment", delivered with a big smile. This could of course be a simple press pleaser, but it doesn't rule it out, and the Oculus rift has been seeing a lot of impressive publicity lately.
The Oculus was being demonstrated at E3 with a new prototype running at 1080 x 1920 pixels; a vast improvement over the development kit which ran at a lower 800 x 1280. The prototype will not see the shelves at all, but the HD graphics are here to stay, and the commercial version will be at least this resolution or better.

Given the experiences we've had with the Oculus Rift at GD, the higher resolution will be the game winning feature - it was the only issue we had with the current development kit. Add on that this new screen is lighter and more responsive than the previous one, and it's no wonder everyone is expecting big things from the device.
WiiU

After the launch of the WiiU what we wanted to see where some unique gameplay tropes like we used to expect from the Wii. Especially for those who are long time fans of innovation in gaming, the system seemed very interesting. For now, the console is in a dormant estate and things should change in the future to see the tablet at work, which is an intrinsic part of the console -important detail here-.

With the lack of sales of the system and the fact that I haven't been into WiiU as of late -except the odd news here and there-, I don't know if someone has thrown in some exclusive features centred around the touchscreen device.

So any help would be appreciated nowadays.

I found this rather fun video of someone playing Mario on the WiiU tablet.

In this video you can see an interview with Bioware's external producer Melanie Faulknor talking about the gamepad features they added exclusively for the WiiU.

Yet another video featuring a girl explaining how she plays Darksiders 2 on the WiiU:

This is an interesting video showing how to use the Wii U GamePad Web Browsing, among other cool things.

That's it for now, people.

Finally, if you think that next generation is not just about playing more of the same but using technology to progress, this is your console thread for that and your space!

Come on guys and girls, let's enjoy the most out of our consoles :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the thread I still think that the main sources of innovation will be either PS4Eye+Move (as it can do a lot more than just movement but also traditional input) or Kinetic 2.

Anyway Spark really shows the potential, but it also shows that will mean new kinds of games for those systems, not your typical FPS, although some possibilities for improve some things, or at least give alternatives.

Wii U I think it will be the best to improve upon established games or allowing more complex games on consoles, like those typical for a mouse input.

Thanks for the thread I still think that the main sources of innovation will be either PS4Eye+Move (as it can do a lot more than just movement but also traditional input) or Kinetic 2.

Anyway Spark really shows the potential, but it also shows that will mean new kinds of games for those systems, not your typical FPS, although some possibilities for improve some things, or at least give alternatives.

Wii U I think it will be the best to improve upon established games or allowing more complex games on consoles, like those typical for a mouse input.
Obrigado. :smile: I believe both the PSEye+Move and Kinect 2 will be pushing innovation for the foreseeable future.

I expect lots of brilliant innovation.

Some more news about revolutionary features.

Remedy explains how Quantum Break and the TV show tie into one another. :oops: Fascinating stuff.

xbox-one-quantum-break-2.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/22/qua...ow-the-game-and-tv-show-tie-into-one-another/

Remedy has explained a bit how Quantum Break, its Xbox One exclusive which “blurs the line between gaming and TV“

Speaking with Game Informer, creative director and writer, Sam Lake said the sc-fi game in which players control time, was “like a natural progression, and we’ve been on this path for a while now.”

“We’re trying to create this immersive, fictional world in the game,” he said. “Live-action has already been part of our experiences for a while. We want to push that further. It just feels somehow natural when talking about stories. The earlier steps were baby steps into that direction, and this is a bigger leap. We want to explore these possibilities.

“What you get when you buy the game is essentially the first season of Quantum Break.

That includes the whole game and the whole show. They are connected in many different ways.

The idea is that you get this deeper entertainment experience and they are interwoven, so we are aiming to get the perfect TV show-model pacing. So you play an episode of the game, you do certain junction points and choices along the way, and once you get to the end, we unlock an episode of the show.

You get to watch it and see the consequences of the choices you’ve made in the game. Then you see glimpses of other stuff that helps you in the game, it gives you further information about certain things as well as clues how to unlock even further material. And then once again you get to play another episode of the game and it goes like that.”

Lake said players will have the freedom to choose skipping an episode of the show and keep on going, and can come back to the show and watch it later on.

“We are trying to nail the perfect pacing so that doing it as intended, you get a deeper, more powerful experience,” he said.

Quantum Break is slated for release in 2014.

As an AR application on the new Eye, I was most impressed by how the flying robot flies *behind* the guy. That impressed me a lot, and I'm surprised nobody is talking about it. I've seen it in another video too. It could be simple outline detection to best fit a human shape, or maybe it is aided by the depth information thanks to the dual camera. (In the other video, the robot was flying behind the person with the controller but was still in front of a cameraman that was at the back.)

Whatever the case, it looks very nice, adds to the immersion.

Not the most impressive thing, but I think the feature that will be the most used is using other non-console devices to interact with the console gaming world. Like what was shown in the Division.

Gamers on console are given the full experience while tablet/phone gamers can show up in the game world as a drone and still affect the gameplay within that world (either directly or indirectly).

I think these types of cross-gameplay experiences will be huge nextgen and will help to spread console gaming into a broader audience and bring more "non-gamers" into the fold.

Talking of which, Smart Clip will let people to attach their smartphone or similar with a touchscreen to their gamepad using Smart Glass, essentially creating a second screen experience. A great idea if you ask me.

It is a clip which attaches your touchscreen phone or small tablet to the controller. It works on the X360, Xbox One and PS4 -PlayStation App?-.

86102-smart-clip.jpg

I'm amazed that Nintendo makes a big deal out of this 'innovation':

but that said, I do hope we'll see much more use out of the DS4's gyro upcoming gen. Personally among the many things I've already mentioned, I want it at the very least to replace 'aim assist' with an Uncharted Golden Abyss like aiming fine tune system.

EDIT: they called it intu-aim at the time:

Felicia Day plays Project Spark using her fingers to select things on screen without actually touching the screen. :oops: Great stuff, imho. One of my favourites.

Direct link to the very exact moment:

http://youtu.be/tA0xau_0cak?t=5m15s

Full video:

Very weird - that doesn't appear to be kinect (AFAIK the fov rules it out), instead it's a microsoft TV with a different input method.

Does anyone knows what it is?

but that said, I do hope we'll see much more use out of the DS4's gyro upcoming gen. Personally among the many things I've already mentioned, I want it at the very least to replace 'aim assist' with an Uncharted Golden Abyss like aiming fine tune system.

EDIT: they called it intu-aim at the time:

To be honest, I haven't seen anyone talking about this. I'm not sure how well people liked, or even used, that feature. I have the game, just haven't bothered to try it, suppose I'll test it out. To be honest, I think a better analog stick (should be even be calling them analog sticks?) will do more than the motion sensors.

There is some nice stuff that (I think) Killzone 2 or 3 did where they made the motion sensors in the DS3 affect your sniper scope, so you had to hold the controller still to snipe.

Most people on Neogaf really liked it, like me. Do try, I'll be curious to hear what you think

Very weird - that doesn't appear to be kinect (AFAIK the fov rules it out), instead it's a microsoft TV with a different input method.

Does anyone knows what it is?
Yes, now that you mention it, that's a Microsoft TV. I hadn't notice that *little* detail before. Is it me or it does say Windows 8? They are using the Xbox 360 gamepad, too.

The game is going to be free to play on the X360, Xbox One and the PC, and you can share all the maps between platforms. So it could be an HDTV with a giant touchscreen... I don't now. Anyone tell me?

Either that or it is a TV with Kinect 2 built into it. Either way you should be able to replicate those things on the Xbox One pretty easily, without actually touching the screen, I think.

Arwin; thanks for sharing, I liked how he tilted the PS Vita and used that feature to handle the pocket console to his own advantage.

As for the Nintendo video, the method can look a bit awkward but it actually works, and can help to discover secrets or leaning into corners and the like, depending on how you use it. I can't help it but notice WiiU's tablet is slightly bulky.

I gotta go. Cheers

Assassin's Creed IV is going to utilise the touchpad of the PS4 controller and it will also take advantage of Xbox One's Kinect in a little but special way, although they are going to leave it as a surprise.

Read more at: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...creed-4-will-utilise-kinect-for-xbox-one.html

"We do have a little bit, a touch of a feature on the Kinect," Ismail revealed, "but we're not saying what it is just yet, we want to leave it as a surprise."

"For the Kinect, it's a tiny little thing," he added.

Assassin's Creed 4 will also take advantage of the PS4 touchpad, as well as the system's share feature.

Xbox One shows some unique features. I don't know which game is being played in the images, does anyone know? :smile2:

I see intuitiveness and naturalness there.

iu608vzfi8OrL.gif

iF8YwimOLTHiy.gif

It's not a real game. It's a Kinect-hybrid tech demo called "Reflex" & it was shown at Gamescom...

Tommy McClain

It's not a real game. It's a Kinect-hybrid tech demo called "Reflex" & it was shown at Gamescom...

Tommy McClain
Thanks Tommy. That explains it. I didn't want to say anything just in case, but I actually thought it was Halo for Xbox One.

cyan if you get a chance, get a hold of the DS4. between the speaker and the touchpad (which is also a clickable button) its an extremely innovative controller. its also very comfortable.

Xbox One shows some unique features. I don't know which game is being played in the images, does anyone know? :smile2:

I see intuitiveness and naturalness there.
That sort of duck manoeuvre could have been implemented as far back as PS2 EyeToy, or certainly last gen on Kinect and PSEye (and Live Vision camera). The fact no games are using the camera in such ways shows devs really have sod all interest in advancing the interface.

Back