who is gonna "win" 2006 nvidia or ati?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of growth I think ATI will win, they couldn't have had a much worse 2005 so its gotta be up imo.

ativsnvidia.gif

I'm with RobertR1. I'd like to see some good competition between them mainly for the sake of no one company becoming too complacent about their performance title. Just in the last year both companies have learned a farily decent lesson.... Paper launch = teh bad. :p

My semi-recent (last 3-4 years?) purchases of video cards has been pretty mixed. Starting with an Nvidia 4600, then an ATI 9700 Pro, next an ATI X800XT PE, and lastly an Nvidia 7800GTX. Most significant of these cards has been the 9700. Of late it seems more like a tit for tat competition these days. I'm really hoping one of the companies releases a defintive product again.

One last thing... they need to drop prices on this stuff. It's getting pretty unreasonable, and I wouldn't feel too bad if it bit them somehow. :devilish:

S3 will conquer all!!!

*disclaimer*
MasterBaiter has never worked for, beta-tested, or "sampled" any of S3's products.
Use of S3 products may cause oily discharge, menstruel cramps, and narcolepsy.
I agree, and understand that if I am injured, or become ill, or disabled due to use of an
S3 product, S3 cannot be held liable.

MasterBaiter said:
I'm with RobertR1. I'd like to see some good competition between them mainly for the sake of no one company becoming too complacent about their performance title. Just in the last year both companies have learned a farily decent lesson.... Paper launch = teh bad. :p

My semi-recent (last 3-4 years?) purchases of video cards has been pretty mixed. Starting with an Nvidia 4600, then an ATI 9700 Pro, next an ATI X800XT PE, and lastly an Nvidia 7800GTX. Most significant of these cards has been the 9700. Of late it seems more like a tit for tat competition these days. I'm really hoping one of the companies releases a defintive product again.

One last thing... they need to drop prices on this stuff. It's getting pretty unreasonable, and I wouldn't feel too bad if it bit them somehow. :devilish:

I agree with you. Prices are getting ridiculous near to extreme.
As for another definitive product like the 9700 achievement, i doubt it wont happen until Windows Vista has shipped in 2007 and both companies announce the 2nd gen "of Vista cards" with a matured D3D(Dx10?) arquitecture.
Untill then, they'll keep sucking peoples money with "shortlife" products.

doob said:
arquitecture.

Forget about pixel shaders, texture units and memory controllers... arquitecture for the win! ;

seriously...

Would a winner be decided on it's high end products? it sales volume of low end cards.. chipset business?

neliz said:
Forget about pixel shaders, texture units and memory controllers... arquitecture for the win! ;

seriously...

Would a winner be decided on it's high end products? it sales volume of low end cards.. chipset business?

I dont really see it as an either/or situation. But rather a this and that situation. Obviously they need at least manage to be successful in a majority of these categories. I'm sure we can all agree on this point that having the fastest card is useless if you dont have an available product or the ability to meet the demands of other markets.

Whoever releases the best price/performance mainstream card with stellar availability, shall take the crown. Last time around, I think the product that shifted market shares was GF 6600 GT. This year, I have no idea what the equivalent hardware will be... but I'm pretty sure its not released yet.

That link raises a little conspiracy theorist in me.

Here they report how the market has changed:
ATi also seems to have gained further ground in the low-to-mid-range market sector (graphics processor with integrated video memory) - seeing its share of the market moving from under 64% at the end of 2004 to almost 75% at close of play 2005.

But here they don't they just tell the current standings:
In terms of total stand-alone graphics processors sold, it seems claimed that ATi now has the lion's share with 52% of the market compared to NVIDIA’s 45%.

Now that might be relevant, because if I remember correctly, Nvidia catched up to Ati by 3 %. Why they wouldn't report that?

Oh and how about this!
As sales of XBOX 360 consoles continue to grow and shipments of Nintendo Revolution boxes and Sony HD TV sets continue (all of which feature ATi graphics products), it’s reasonably suggested that ATI will experience a further overall surge through 2006.

Say what, Nintendo Revolution shipments continue? When did they start?

Oh, and have you ever heard about Playstation 3? RSX? Is someone trying to paint a bit too rosy picture for Ati?

I'll give them one though, the notebook market is looking very good for Ati... and I also didn't know Intel mainboards have started using Ati Graphics, does this finally mean the end of the dreaded Intel Extreme Graphics?

edit: maybe they are just reporting some Ati press release? That would explain a thing or two.

The numbers reflect the reality pretty well IMHO.

EDIT: besides, Hexus is not The Inq, no conspiracy there :)

Mendel said:
and the points I raised mean jack schitt?

Who said that? The numbers are ok at the moment, they haven't given any estimates for Revolution. XB360 ships and will continue doing so, but the numbers are from 2005.

I think the real winner is.........the consumer! Remember, boys and girls......keep consuming mass quanities.........We all know where Remulak really is, don't we.....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back