B3D Yoddha
Veteran
This thread made me think about creating this thread.:D

I guess I take this honour, my specs....:oops:

Athlon XP 1700+
nForce Mobo
256 MB DDR

Graphics Card: None (onboard GF2MX)

I have "played" UT/Max Payne/Silent Hill 2/BF1942/GTA3/VC on it. It is the only PC I have at home. :LOL:

Pentium-133
32 MB RAM
VLB Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 MB RAM
Sound Blaster Pro (which I still think has the best noise reduction of any Creative Labs card).
I've played stuff as far-forward as Tomb Raider 2 on it, but mostly roms on DOS-based emulators.

Though, I do have another machine (1.2 GHz Celeron on a Slot adapter, 384 MB RAM, Elsa Gloria XXL 32 MB card, Aureal Vortex 8830), I don't really play games on it so much.

Wow, I guess my answer would have to be "not it!". :oops:

My six year old daughter has a Athlon 2000+, DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B, 512MB, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, 60GB and she's probably got the worst one in the house. :???:

Remind me not to bitch anymore... ;)

The worst system in my house for gaming would be the laptop, but even that has a Core Duo and a X1400 mobile chip. Oh boy, I feel like I have powerful systems now!

Atari 8bit 130XE, XF551 Disk Drive, plenty of games on 5.25" disk and some on carts.

Now (and for qute some time) I'm at a AXP 2400+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro. So that one doesn't fit here (even if it by current standard is rather slow).

But maybe I can get a point for when I tried to play through Unreal, software rendered on a P90.:???: I actually managed to get through some levels before I gave up. :smile:

Calculators do not count! I have a Ti-89 laying around somewhere. I spent way to much time playing games on it rather then doing any actual work. Of course you really do not have to do anywork when using a 89 anyway.

I've always wanted either a Ti-92 Plus or a Voyage 200 just for the nerd factor.

This is why I love this forum :love:

But I think it only counts if you still use it! For me, I'm tame, just a nf2 IGP with an AXP 2000.

If we're going down the nostalgia route, I'd be interested to see the upgrade path people have taken whilst owning PCs. My first PC was a 25 MHz 386SX (might have even been an AMD chip) with 4MB RAM, a 1MB Trident graphics card the spec of which I forget, and an 80MB hard-disk that we used DoubleSpace on (or was it Stacker?). Prince of Persia, Wing Commander II, Monkey Island II... oh the memories. From there, after months of nagging my Dad, we finally upgraded to a 486DX-4 (100 MHz!) with 16MB RAM and a Diamond Stealth card which I remember because the review said it "...makes other graphics cards look like they're going backwards". :yes: That was basically the first time I built a computer with one eye on gaming performance (a DOOM rig!).

(During the building of this machine, it actually went *BOOM* like a gunshot as I turned it on after I'd been installing something. It was an issue with the seating of the graphics card, found courtesy of the BIOS beeping error codes, but it was still a heart-freezing moment to think I'd just fried $$$ of electronics. Amazingly, it never gave any problems until years later when Windows 3.1 used to start producing unprovoked General Protection Faults. It became known affectionately as GPF, like a senile old family member).

I remember that I had a Gravis Ultrasound soundcard in this system, bought because it was the first to use Wave-Table samples and it also supposedly had 3D sound through headphones. It came with a copy of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat with a special soundtrack that used to rock. This was my first bout with fan-boydom, refusing to succomb to the evil Sound-Blaster monster and even upgrading to the MAX! version. In the end Windows 95 kind of made it all somewhat redundant.

After that I had some sort of Cyrix based 6x86 thing which I later upgraded to a Pentium 200 MMX (boldly overclocked to 225 MHz!). I added a Diamond Voodoo card when it came out and enjoyed the splendor of GL Quake. Later I got a 3Dfx Banshee :oops: which I plugged into my first 17" Trinitron monitor.

From there it went: Pentium III 600 MHZ and a Voodoo 5500, Athlon XP 1.5GHz with an Nvidia Ti 4200 and now, an Athlon 64 2.25 GHz with a 9800Pro. I guess my graphics card spending peaked with the Voodoo 5; after getting burned on that one my thirst to be on the cutting edge somewhat waned. G80 looks nice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
XP 2400+, 512MB, ti4200 128MB.
the games I own were shaped by my previous cards anyway (voodoo2 SLI in 2001, then voodoo5 in 2003 :)). lots of good things that run great. My PC is extremely "outdated" it seems, people make fun of me on forums for living in the stone age and so on.. but, if all I'm missing is FEAR, oblivion and other such games, who cares.
I'm considering getting a FX 5900XT for cheap so I get higher res and better framerate in my games. (and one more 256MB stick but I don't even really need it)

(the only "DX9" games I have are doom3, quake4 and farcry.. and I consider them "DX8" games. also geforce 3/4/FX's aniso filtering is on par with G80's :) except for lack of 16x)

and, outside of games, that PC is screaming fast :), fast booting, the windows doesn't run crap in the background and is under 100MB RAM with half a dozen useful things. I have no need to upgrade (nor do I need a dual core to browse the web and play music at the same time..)

and let's imagine I upgrade, for example a 7300GT AGP and a 512MB stick (that's 150 euros I certainly would need for something else). I'd be able to play newer games, newer games whose main appeal is graphics.. but, those "superior" graphics might come at the price of lower res and lower framerates. I'll keep my "outdated" games with similar gameplay, high IQ, high framerates, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
486 DX66 MHz with a 512Kb Cirus Logic video card.
I had one of those as well, except with a 1 MB card in it. I had to toss it in 2003 when I found several bats living inside of it. And no, I'm not kidding, there were bats inside my machine.

My current PC is my first PC. I haven't changed anything (since buying it in 2003 I think) except the HDD (40 to 80 GB).:smile:

Technically I've had the same PC since I built her back in 99, but Bubbles ain't got much original equipment left on her.

Actually, she doesn't have any of her original equipment 'cept probably a few screws... :oops:

She games pretty well for a 7 year old PC though. ;)

I had one of those as well, except with a 1 MB card in it. I had to toss it in 2003 when I found several bats living inside of it. And no, I'm not kidding, there were bats inside my machine.

Bats!? How the hell did they get in there!? Do you live in a cave? ..............are you Batman!? Is that why your life is so weird!? XD I do recall a friend whose keyboard and mouse and cd-rom were invaded by sugar ants... he was not a particularly neat person... >.>

Back