Which XB360 games available on launch day are next-gen?

DemoCoder

Veteran
I just read all the IGN reviews and it's pretty disappointing. Most of the games still seem aliased. Many of them look like souped up Xbox1 or PC games, but not graphically that impressive.

I'm looking for games which if I pop them into console and show a bunch of hardcore PC gamers, you know the type that buy two GTX512's in SLI, and wow them.

Microsoft still hasn't changed my mind since the XB360 announcement session in Vegas. Their initial lineup of games look disappointing.

I'm debating now if I should even bother waiting in line for a ticket at BestBuy and just wait till Gears of War or Oblivion come out and then buy an XB360.

I would say
- Kameo
- PGR 3
- COD 2
- Madden 2006

Are all undeniably next-gen.

Your PC buddys will not be able to play a racing game like PGR3, and they have never seen a game as stunning as Kameo.

DemoCoder said:
I just read all the IGN reviews and it's pretty disappointing. Most of the games still seem aliased. Many of them look like souped up Xbox1 or PC games, but not graphically that impressive.

I'm looking for games which if I pop them into console and show a bunch of hardcore PC gamers, you know the type that buy two GTX512's in SLI, and wow them.

Microsoft still hasn't changed my mind since the XB360 announcement session in Vegas. Their initial lineup of games look disappointing.

I'm debating now if I should even bother waiting in line for a ticket at BestBuy and just wait till Gears of War or Oblivion come out and then buy an XB360.

I'm with you....I'm waiting to purchase the X360 later when their clearly that next-gen step.

DemoCoder said:

Most of the games reviewed have recieved between 8-10.

PGR3-8.8
Kameo-8.4
Condemned-8.7
Call of Duty 2-9.0

I dont really understand this disappointment. You sound like you wont like it anyway and are trying to show off against $1000+ in video cards alone which is senseless.

Do a gamer a favor and dont buy one, rather let someone who wants one to play games not play "Console vs. PC Wars" get it instead.

The point is, the launch titles look disappointing and not many of them are 9+ across the board. Call of Duty 2 is not next-gen, sorry. Looks previous gen to me.

PGR3, Gears of War, those are titles that look next-gen.

Why should I buy on launch day, when the titles look mediocre? I expect XB360 games to look better than PC games. The fact that games like CoD2 look equivalent or worse to Half Life 2 is disappointing to me, especially considering what we've seen in the GoW trailer.

The X360 platform is apparently capable of so much more than the launch titles. (some of them, an amazing $59.95)

DemoCoder said:
The point is, the launch titles look disappointing and not many of them are 9+ across the board. Call of Duty 2 is not next-gen, sorry. Looks previous gen to me.

Why should I buy on launch day, when the titles look mediocre? I expect XB360 games to look better than PC games. The fact that games like CoD2 look equivalent or worse to Half Life 2 is disappointing to me, especially considering what we've seen in the GoW trailer.

The X360 platform is apparently capable of so much more than the launch titles. (some of them, an amazing $59.95)

Apparently then you just answered your own question .

Its a launch and with it you get the good and bad .

Visualy impressive titles are kameo , condemed , pgr3 and nba 2k6 all look next gen .

I can't say anything about pdz as i have yet to actually play it

I can't believe that people don't think that those games don't look next gen. Name any games that look as good on xbox1 and PS2. Please do. It is next gen compaired to consoles but not to high end PCs, isn't that reasonable?

PCs are already next gen, and launch games have been developed more or less with high end PC specs in mind, they have not been able to have so much time with final xbox360 hardware. If you are looking for games that are next gen compaired to PCs, that will never happen, as the PCs are contiusly evolving in small steps, how do you even define a next gen game compaired to a PC, there are not really generations in the PC world.

Still as some reviews have pointed out some of the xbox360 games do look better and run better than their PC cousins, what more can you expect, you will not see a generational leap over the PC games, never...

DemoCoder said:

People who haven't switched sides at this point in time, and buy two GTX512s in SLI (all 500 of them) are probably extremely prejudiced and irrational and NOTHING can wow them. You can take them to a live performance of a play in a theater on Broadway, and they would bitch about the poor cloth animation of the curtain, the unrealistic skin shader and the long load times between acts.

The launch lineup for Xbox360 is easily the best ever for a console launch. No doubt Sony are working had every waking hour and most of the normally-non-waking ones to best it. Although, by the measure of your SLI-toting friends, they will have to compete against G80 SLI on Athlon FX65, not 7800GTX SLI on Athlon FX57, and will have probably the same right to be proclaimed "not really next-gen".

Still, the "really next-gen" games will probably come in 2006 for Xbox360 and in 2007 and beyond for PS3.

Consoles and console games are for enjoying, not for impressing your friends and winning arguments.

i'd say PGR3.Not exactly nextgen ,but has a good foot in.The rest is from generic to sucky.Not seen PDO yet.

im pretty impressed with madden, pgr3 and a maybe kameo (i say maybe because some shots of kameo looks great but some just looks so so); the rest look like xbox 1.5 to me (yeah i know, you guys LOVE that phrase :D)

and we really havent seen any ps3 games to tell if they look next gen or not, but if i had to say..so far that sega game Fifth Phantom Saga, is the only one that doesnt look next gen right now. i wish sony would release some more info.

it will be interesting on how the 2nd wave of 360 titles compare to the 1st wave of ps3 titles.

Most of the reviews and the games I played thus far....

Plays like the previous xbox generation with a graphical face lift...and then the F@#nboys are like oh yeah!!!!...I'm going to buy it come on now its next generation.

Think for a moment...next-gen games will come but most purchases IMO are I have the latest console I'm cool and you're not.

Mythos said:
Think for a moment...next-gen games will come but most purchases IMO are I have the latest console I'm cool and you're not.

Yah, people get a bizzare power trip over this.

PGR3 definitely "looks" the most next gen. How does it play? I don't know.

1up.com has their weekly video thing up and they were reviewing Need for Speed: MW and Gun among others. They compared the NFS:MW on both Xboxes and aside from the sharper resolution and slicker lighting, there really is no difference.

Gun they say is even worse, no enhancement at all other than 720p resolution and maybe better particle/dust effects.

I think most games this launch are just quick touch ups aside from the MGS titles.

Wait till after January when the better titles will come out.

DemoCoder said:

Dam, can I just say ditto here and leave it at that? Was gonna post pretty much the exact thing, except about GoW since it isn't a launch title.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051118/tc_nm/media_microsoft_xbox_dc

At launch, there will be 18 Xbox 360 games available. Analysts called the line-up strong, but underscored that it lacks a blockbuster title that will make the console a must-have.

"Right now, there is not one title that says to gamers, 'This is the reason why you need to buy the 360,"' Kennedy (edit: Kennedy is editor-in-chief of 1up.com) said.

I think they are missing something like "Halo". BTW, isn't RR6 a launch title?

PD0 looks unimpressive.

GoW is the kind of killer "next-gen" title that says "YOU MUST BUY" Most of the other titles look like XBOX1.5

Demo I almost have to ask what your normal criteria is for buying games, because it seems like graphics and graphics alone. I mean nothing wrong with that, but it's just strange to start a thread like this when you full well know you're not going to hear anything you dont already know yourself anyway.

The way I see the 360 launch is: games in a genre you would normally pay ~$50 for anyway, well get the console and a better/prettier version of the same thing.

If the 360 launch doesn't have any games you would normally pay for under worse conditions graphically, then maybe you should skip it and wait until later. I mean right now it seems like you're trying to convince yourself or want someone to convince you. You're a grown man for god's sake - make the call. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Demo, FWIW of the launch lineup i've seen and played practically all except COD2 & condemned, and i must say no system seller among those. the one thing that distinguishes them from the prev gen is resolution, but you can hardly imress anyone with that. i say patience.

I don't get what some people are saying games not looking or playing next gen, they look better then any game on any system right now(besides maybe gun and tony hawk) and it's not much that can change in sports genre, football can only be football, racing can only be racing

I do think it will be new genres made the couldn't have been done on older consoles, like gta style games on current systems(but none of them were launch titles either), but for the most part gameplay hasn't changed in any genre of games for the last 10-15 years

Back