Which Software

Aheneve

Newcomer
I'm looking for software that will allow me to create objects and have them interact with each other based on physical properties assigned to them, say for example a ball of lead colliding with a ball of water.

I'm looking for guidance on which 3D graphics engine would be the best (highest quality imagery balanced by ease of programming use) to create objects with specific physical properties (eg. temperature, pressure, density, mass, etc.) and have these objects interact with each other based on these properties.

I've been looking on the internet for about a week and keep running across the same graphics engines (CryEngine, Unreal, Unity3D), but these seem designed to create first person shooter games, which is outside my needs.

What I think I really need is a physics engine, but I don't know anyone with any experience in this area to ask.

Does anyone here have any experience with the array of physics engines available and if so, which might you recommend?

If you want the "highest quality imagery balanced by ease of programming use" then your going to need a game engine, physicists dont care about eyecandy or ease of use.

ps: take a look at garrys mod
http://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/
Garry's Mod is a physics sandbox. Unlike regular games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. We give you the tools and leave you to play.
You spawn objects and weld them together to create your own contraptions - whether that's a car, a rocket, a catapult or something that doesn't have a name yet - that's up to you.

But why simulate balls of lead when you can simulate goats

ps: If you want something more serious try voxcad
http://www.voxcad.com/home

The physics on blender3d can do that.

The physics on cryengine need modifications. But will give great visual quality in shorter time

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far. Doing some more digging around the web tonight has turned up three options:

-Havok
-Bullet
-PhysX

I'm trying now to find some bench marking comparing each to help make a decision. Does anyone have any experience with these and/or can provide their first-hand experience and recommendations? Also, some charts/graphs/videos comparing them might be useful as well.

from my experience, PhysX is the easiest and gave awesome result

bullet physics can result in weird physics.

havok is nice but need some works

*cryengine, 3dmax/maya/blender, SFM

Back