Which region is largest in terms of game and console sales?

Glonk

Regular
I'm pretty sure North America is the largest single region for video game sales these days...

But I was talking with someone earlier today who said that the non-English speaking video game market was "far larger" than the English speaking one.

The only areas I know of that play console games that aren't predominately English are continental europe and Japan -- when added together, are those far bigger than North America + UK + Australia?

Re: Which region is largest in terms of game and console sal

But I was talking with someone earlier today who said that the non-English speaking video game market was "far larger" than the English speaking one.

If you're a pirate, sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US by itself is a bigger market than Japan and mainland Europe combined. Just about all the other non-english speaking countries that do spend a noticiable amount of money on video games are completely over-run with pirating. This is why you don't see the Big Three scrambeling to get their consoles out in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Russia, etc.

I saw that, Zurich. I said they weren't in a hurry to launch in those countries. I didn't say they were never going to launch. ;)

Korea has huge potential as a video game market. Again, it's the pirating that causes console makers to shy away.

I actually remember hearing somewhere that 'potential size' of Euro Gaming market is larger then US, but it's offset largely by the whole non-unified market thing.
The fact Europe has a very lively piracy scene as well probably doesn't help either.

As for Korea, the console manufacturers barely started off there, give them some time. It IS a PC dominated market, and you can't just change that overnight.
It is true that SCEK's current position isn't much different then that of M$ Japan though :p at least saleswise.

Looking at the sales figures, it looks like for some consoles (GameCube, PS2) the non-English-speaking market is larger than the English-speaking market. For other consoles (Xbox), the English-speaking market is currently much larger than the non-English-speaking market.

Check out the Google Zeitgiest numbers -- it shows WWW English usage "market share" gradualy declining as more of the rest of the world comes on line. This isn't directly related to video game console sales, but I think it's an indicator that non-English computer use is growing.

sept02_lang.gif

Korea's a special case -- Korean laws forbid the import of Japanese entertainment products there for many years. Gamers had no choice but to embrace PC gaming. Now that you can buy Japanese (and US) consoles in Korea, it seems likely that many of the Korean gamers will start playing consoles.

The US is hands down the largest gaming market, having a ~50% edge over Japan or Europe(who are both fairly close). Based on last years figures the US had about $9Billion in sales with Japan and Europe both hanging around $6Billion.

Combine the Yanks, Brits and Aussies and it likely would be close to half the global gaming market(if not exceed that mark). Also of note, the US market is the largest growth market for gaming for many years now followed by Europe with Japan remaining a relatively flat market(the Japanese market has been losing a significant percentage of its global presence in the gaming market for many years now). Europe should have already exceeded the size of the Japanese market and started to pull away by this point. I wouldn't be surprised to the US in the ~$11-$12Billion range for '02 with Europe in the $7-$8Billion area with Japan having relatively flat sales over a year ago.

Fafalada said:
I actually remember hearing somewhere that 'potential size' of Euro Gaming market is larger then US, but it's offset largely by the whole non-unified market thing.
The fact Europe has a very lively piracy scene as well probably doesn't help either.

As for Korea, the console manufacturers barely started off there, give them some time. It IS a PC dominated market, and you can't just change that overnight.
It is true that SCEK's current position isn't much different then that of M$ Japan though :p at least saleswise.

Still, 450k units isn't too shabby. (or so I've heard) So, judging by the developing house of Fafracer, you work in a Korean company, correct?

Korea may be run by likes of Starcraft and DDR, (ok, 'Pump it Up' more precisely) but surprisingly, you also see a niche franchise like 'The King of Fighters' having massive popularity over there too.

duffer said:
Korea's a special case -- Korean laws forbid the import of Japanese entertainment products there for many years. Gamers had no choice but to embrace PC gaming. Now that you can buy Japanese (and US) consoles in Korea, it seems likely that many of the Korean gamers will start playing consoles.

I'm surprised the law was lifted, considering Japan has yet to apologize for, or even acknowledge the war crimes they perpetrated against Koreans while they occupied the country.

Mr. Angry Pants said:
duffer said:

I'm surprised the law was lifted, considering Japan has yet to apologize for, or even acknowledge the war crimes they perpetrated against Koreans while they occupied the country.

They haven't completely lifted the ban. They've been gradually doing that over the years. Koreans already have Japanese comics a decade ago.

The North american market is actually IS larger than Europe and Japan combined.

No its not. Look at console sales and game sales for U.S vs Japan + Europe.

Lets take PS2 sales back in may (the only figures I have for a new console in all regions), these are Sony's own numbers:

U.S = 11.3 million

Japan = 9.9 million

Europe = 8.8 million

Japan and Europe combined = 18.7 million

As far game sales, rought figures are:

U.S = $9 billion
Japan = $6 billion
Europe = $6.5 billion

Japan and Europe combined = $12.5 billion

Teasy, you can't use only PS2 sales figures as an example. Both the Xbox and GC are selling at a greater ratio in comparison to the PS2 than in either Europe or Japan.

While it certainly won't make that much of a difference, it's still something to consider. ;)

Also, the NA market is growing faster than Europe, and Japan is practicaly standing still. Unless there's a dramatic change in all three territories, North America will slowly but surely distance itself from the pack.

I like to see Japan stagnate. Perhaps this will cause the myth that Japanese are inherintly better game makers than everyone else to fade away.

Teasy, you can't use only PS2 sales figures as an example. Both the Xbox and GC are selling at a greater ratio in comparison to the PS2 than in either Europe or Japan.

Yeah I'd add GameCube numbers if I could. But sadely I don't have them for all regions. If anyone has them I'd add them on.

I don't think XBox sales would be a fair reflection of consoles sales accross regions. Due to the fact that the Japanese hate it due to it being a U.S console and some Europeans also hate it because its a MS console (even if I did want to add them I don't have XBox sales for all regions either).

Also, the NA market is growing faster than Europe, and Japan is practicaly standing still. Unless there's a dramatic change in all three territories, North America will slowly but surely distance itself from the pack.

Perhaps yeah, but also maybe not, after all we can't see the future and trends change. But then we have to also remember that the comment I was replying to, and indeed this thread, is about sales now not in the future.

Teasy said:
I don't think XBox sales would be a fair reflection of consoles sales accross regions. Due to the fact that the Japanese hate it due to it being a U.S console and some Europeans also hate it because its a MS console (even if I did want to add them I don't have XBox sales for all regions either).

er, lots of people in the US hate the Xbox because its a Microsoft console. A few individuals here even hate it because it's a US console (those of the "Japanese super men are our superiors" persuasion) :LOL: .

You also have to remember that the size of a market isn't governed by how well a single product sells (unless, of course, it's the only product in that market--digressing). If a European who wants to buy a console doesn't want to purchase the Xbox because of some petty double-standard, then he'll buy a Gamecube, or a PS2.

Mr. Angry Pants

My point is PS2 and GameCube are selling fine in all regions, they seem to be pretty much uneffected by any anti this or that feeling, so there sales will more accurately reflect the size of each region compared to XBox sales. But if you really want to include XBox then go ahead, if you have XBox numbers anyway.

Although as you already mentioned, adding XBox and GameCube numbers won't really change the picture, Europe and Japan combined will still be bigger then the U.S in both hardware and software sales.

I'm saying you need to include the sales of all three consoles in all three regions to get an accurate idea of the size of a market. As I said, if the Xbox isn't selling well in one region then sales of the other consoles in that region will increase accordingly.

Example: If Microsoft suddenly stopped selling the Xbox in the US, there would be an immediate boost to both Gamecube and PS2 sales as gamers who would have baught an Xbox buy the other consoles instead.

Teasy,

No its not. Look at console sales and game sales for U.S vs Japan + Europe.

Not only is only taking the results of sales up until MAY not conclusive evidence, in the case of PS2, it's flawed for a few reasons.

Lets take PS2 sales back in may (the only figures I have for a new console in all regions), these are Sony's own numbers:

U.S = 11.3 million

Japan = 9.9 million

Europe = 8.8 million

For one thing, the PS2 was on sale an entire year longer in japan then it was in north america. Yet, the north american sales surpassed the sales in Japan in a shorter time. More consoles are being sold in this region at a faster rate. That tends to ONLY happen when the market potential is larger.

Like angry pants said, if you add up ALL of the console platform sales, you'll find the biggest numbers are sold in North america, again showing it's a larger market.

Another thing, is that the console is STILL on sale, so it hasn't reached a point where it's sales are tapering off yet. So these numbers don't not show the complete picture. If you want complete numbers to see how large the regions are, you'll need to look at how the sales numbers are divided up for something like PSone/PSX or N64 even going back far enough for the Snes and Genesis.

Not only is only taking the results of sales up until MAY not conclusive evidence, in the case of PS2, it's flawed for a few reasons.

Why would the sales numbers being from May make anything flawed?, May is like any other month. All that matters is that sales are taken from each region at the same time.

For one thing, the PS2 was on sale an entire year longer in japan then it was in north america. Yet, the north american sales surpassed the sales in Japan in a shorter time. More consoles are being sold in this region at a faster rate. That tends to ONLY happen when the market potential is larger.

Yes, but what you haven't realised is that Europe got PS2 even later. In fact I would not be suprised to find out that there was a longer gap between PS2's U.S and Euro launch then there was between the Japan and U.S launch, so it more then levels itself out.

Like angry pants said, if you add up ALL of the console platform sales, you'll find the biggest numbers are sold in North america, again showing it's a larger market.

Well post them then.

Another thing, is that the console is STILL on sale, so it hasn't reached a point where it's sales are tapering off yet. So these numbers don't not show the complete picture.

You say the U.S sells more then Europe and Japan combined, hardware sales so far prove that to be wrong, and software sales do the same. Now you say we must wait to see the final sales, well if we need to do that then what evidence do you have that the U.S sells more then Europe an Japan combined?

If you want complete numbers to see how large the regions are, you'll need to look at how the sales numbers are divided up for something like PSone/PSX or N64 even going back far enough for the Snes and Genesis

But then the majority of those sales will have been made along time ago, which would not show the current market.

Why would the sales numbers being from May make anything flawed?, May is like any other month. All that matters is that sales are taken from each region at the same time.

OK, you don't understand... If North america can surpass japan's sales in a single year compared to two years japan has had, think of that number projected out over the course of 4 - 5 years. the sales of the console have been incresing, and not dropping off as of yet. You can't take the first year or first two years to show which market is larger. You need to look at the RATE of sales over those first two years and use that to determine the sales of the conlose during it's life time.

Or, just simply use the last generation PSX market as an example.

Yes, but what you haven't realised is that Europe got PS2 even later. In fact I would not be suprised to find out that there was a longer gap between PS2's U.S and Euro launch then there was between the Japan and U.S launch, so it more then levels itself out.

Teasy, where are you getting this from? From what I understand it. Japan got the PS2 first and europe and north america got the consle at roughly the same time. We're just coming up on the second full year (this fall) PS2 has been on sale in north america right now. There certainly was NOT a gap as large as a year when the PS2 went on sale in NA and Europe, or else tit would have launched in europe a few months before Gamecube and Xbox.

Well post them then.

Why should I? You've seen the sales number sfor Xbox PS2 and GC in north america. Are they not larger in NA then in Europe OR Japan? I know what your going to say here, "not combined if you add japan and europe together." Well, no not yet, but the rate of sales is much higher in north america and it will easily surpass the both of them before the consoles are replaced with the next generation.

You say the U.S sells more then Europe and Japan combined, hardware sales so far prove that to be wrong,

Teasy do you really think I'm basing my comment on THIS generations console sales?? Of course not, unlike yourself, I don't think it would make any sense to do it that way. My comment is based on the LAST few generations of console sales. The numbers with current console sales just prove that it's going to happen again. They certainly don't prove the north american market is NOT the largest around.

Now you say we must wait to see the final sales, well if we need to do that then what evidence do you have that the U.S sells more then Europe an Japan combined?

Teasy I really don't see how you can't understand this. It's pretty simple. Take the rate of sales and project the numbers out over the course of the next few years. Also as I've said if you want proof of this, just look at the sales of PSone/PSX through it's life time. Look at the sales of Snes and Genesis through it's life time. All those numbers will show the same thing.

But then the majority of those sales will have been made along time ago, which would not show the current market.

Yes they were alittle while back, but not long enough that they wouldn't show the same picture. Even still the market is increasing and growing in all regions. It's not however growing at a faster rate than North america.

Back