Which is better HL or HL2?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Reverend, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Which Half-Life is a better game to play?

1. Half-Life

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Half-Life 2

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Quitch

Veteran

I was in a debate on another forum last year where I argued that Half-Life was better, and after seeing much argument decided to replay them both.

It was incredible fun, and both have their weaknesses. Half-Life blows from the moment the Alien Grunts turn up and make it a strafe circle fest... and I discovered Zen has a sneaky bit that's quite fun. Half-Life 2 starts out brilliantly, then fades from during Ravenholm where you're completely detached from the world at large, finally picking up again once you hit the streets... but the opening third is definitely the strongest.

AI... hmmm... I would say that it's not a matter of which has better AI, but rather that Half-Life has areas designed around the AI, while in Half-Life 2 they're designed to be interesting to the player and the AI system itself wasn't changed to compensate, though if you play aggressive the AI is more interesting. Both are fairly easy games, but the soldier fights in Half-Life beat the Combine mainly because the Combine soldiers are no threat, either in terms of damage they dish or damage they can take.

When it comes down to it, it depends what you're looking for. I just didn't have the same attachment to the Barnies in Half-Life after having played Half-Life 2. The atmosphere in both is incredible, and both have an epic feel to them, especially the original as the similarity of the corridors means it's harder to gauge your progress.

Half-Life has better combat, it wins because it has the soldier fights, but also because it mixes it up. It dumps in you the midst of fights between EVERYONE and it feels like a mess. Half-Life 2 is too sectional, and you're fighting Combine soldiers far too often.

Half-Life 2 has better variation of gameplay, especially where you're moving from boat to house, a section which felt too long the first time, but exactly the right length the second time around. Half-Life does put together better on foot scenarios though, barring the Half-Life 2 bridge... you know what I'm talking about :)

Half-Life has better pacing for the first two-thirds, where as Half-Life 2 suddenly dumps me in zombie territory that has, at best, a tenuous connection to the rest of the game. However, Half-Life 2 comes back in the last third with a great finale, compared to the whimper of Half-Life. Half-Life 2 even knows when to speed things along, giving you a super-weapon at exactly the point I knew I was reaching the end and didn't want to face a slow-fest.

Half-Life 2 has a better opening level. Sure, at the time the Half-Life level was great, but now everyone does that. Half-Life 2 added a positively thrilling escape sequence.

I felt more connection to Barney in Half-Life than my squads in Half-Life 2, because they were endlessly reinforced and Barney was not. Getting a group of three in Half-Life was something to be proud of. The banter in the original worked better too. However the main NPCs in Half-Life 2 crush those of Half-Life.

The final boss level of Half-Life 2 is far superior to that of Half-Life, which is possibly one of the worst final bosses ever.

The end to both games are great.

I could go on, but all in all I think they're about equal. They both have their strengths and their weaknesses, and I think Half-Life 2s stand out more because of two things: there were expectations for the game, and some of its weaknesses are Half-Lifes strengths... oh, and the world had seen a lot of FPS changes in that period.

In the end though, they're both great games.

2. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

After reading your post, I was about to reply the same.... But you beat me. :)

3. Bubbles

Newcomer

My vote goes with hl.

I just think the combat is better in hl, which for myself is the key factor in any fps. And the scale of hl is still staggering, especially compared with many recent releases.

4. L233

Veteran

I'd say no. Stalker is still a pretty linear game but it does an excellent job at hiding that fact. There is nothing revolutionary to be found in Stalker, even though it's nice to see a reversal of the "interactive movie" first-person shooter trend.

5. Quitch

Veteran

If combat were key then SiN Episodes Emergence would crush them both. Combat isn't that great in either.

6. soylent

Newcomer

Oh, definetly HL for me.

I really liked ravenholm, but it was far too short. The suspension bridge was neat. The entire boat, car and citadel segments blew chunks. They did great on the audio effects besides the 'music' which I promptly disabled(besides sid music from the C64 and the actually atmospheric and fitting tunes of WoW I can't think of a game where I didn't get quickly annoyed with the music).

Being talked at for 5 minute chunks at a time without being able to respond or move along makes the game almost impossible to enjoy if replayed. The game overall just felt too slow paced and easy.

In HL it's a bit of a pain to get through the long intro on replaying the game. But in general it's so much more fast paced and there is a reasonable level of motor-skill based tricks to keep you entertained( bunny hopping/air control, tripmine climbing, fast weapon switching making it advantageous to not just sit and hog the 'best' weapon but to quickly throw in an AR grenade or double barreled shotgun blast mid-fight etc.).

The only thing I really dislike about HL is the fugly grunts that shoot homing alien streaks of coloured thingies at you and the awful music.

7. Quitch

Veteran

I thought the music of both Half-Life 1 & 2, and more specifically, how they employed it, were highlights of both games.

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

HL2 > Game I never played :)

9. Subtlesnake

Regular

Prior to the arrival of the chaingunners I don't see what's the slightest bit special about Emergence's combat.

10. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Yah you pretty much nailed what I think of HL2. Except that I liked the Citadel and car segments, but I really didn't care for the boat at all.

11. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

I thought the boat sections were the best, far better than the buggy any way. They were relaxing, and the canals and countryside you went through were much nicer than the boring highways and fake-beaches seen along the buggy track. There was probably a little more interaction on the highways though, but i'd probably chalk that down to them being more interactivity-focused that time around compared to the board, as it seemed like more of a fun transition period series of levels.

Needless to say, I replayed the game recently with the Cinematic Mod installed and I still believe the airboat is by far the best vehicle section in the entire game. I love the levels, I love the art along the way, and I just love pulling over on the side of some canal somewhere, hopping out and listening to the ambience, then twaddling off to go explore some tuft of bushes or a broken down house or a crumpled up vehicle / container to see what's there. It didn't quite feel the same with the buggy, it was more like that kind of stuff was put there for you to find intentionally.

I just love that Airboat section :smile:

12. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

They're both great for different reasons but I liked Half Life a lot better. The atmosphere was tenfold more interesting than that of HL2, I wasn't too wowed by the almost entirely outdoor sequences in HL2. Part of the fear invoked from Half Life is the cramped quarters. I remember countless times when it got a good jump out of me while I was in a vent and a headcrap would lunge at me. And the military interference was AMAZING, in fact I found myself really enjoying playing Opposing Force. From that point forward was when I found the game really heating up. Also Half Life was the first truly cinematic videogame I played. Also if anyone remembers correctly there was a ton of minute details such as guns weren't just found floating, they were only found on corpses or gun racks.

Definitely Half Life.

13. _xxx_

Banned

Ravenholm was not bad in itself, it's just totally misplaced in this game. No connection to the game world in any way, just slapped in as a filler.

14. swaaye

Legend

I am pondering trying out the cinematic mod, myself. I have it all downloaded but just need to will up the motivation to setup it up. :)

15. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

System Shock 2 easily beats both.

16. Quitch

Veteran

Everything prior to the arrival of chain gunners.

Sorry, when did we enter the parallel universe where System Shock 2 was a run-and-gun?

17. swaaye

Legend

For some reason, HL and SS2 are compared frequently. They were released at similar dates, if I remember correctly. Both are classics, for sure.

18. Quitch

Veteran

And both took a quality nosedive towards the end.

You know, perhaps there is something in this...

19. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Really? I don't think so, Half Life has always had zombies and with zombies I would certainly not be surprised to see certain places heavily run down and completely covered by them.

20. ANova

Veteran

I loved both but the nod goes to HL purely for gameplay and style. I will say however that HL2 was better in design and atmosphere, I loved the concept of City 17.