Which game pushed console to the limits?

Simon82

Newcomer
For every consoles you've tried which game or tech demo do you think pushed the hardware to the limit?
I think...

Game Gear: Mortal Kombat

Game Boy Advance: ** Name: Yeti3D (tech demo)
** Desc: Portable GameBoy Advanced 3D Engine
** Auth: Derek J. Evans

Saturn: Shenmue (rewritten on Dreamcast)

Playstation: Gran Turismo 2

Playstation 2: Gran Turismo 4

XBOX: PGR or Ninja Gaiden

For every consoles you've tried which game or tech demo do you think pushed the hardware to the limit?
I think...

Game Gear: Mortal Kombat

Game Boy Advance: ** Name: Yeti3D (tech demo)
** Desc: Portable GameBoy Advanced 3D Engine
** Auth: Derek J. Evans

Saturn: Shenmue (rewritten on Dreamcast)

Playstation: Gran Turismo 2

Playstation 2: Gran Turismo 4

XBOX: PGR or Ninja Gaiden

The Gran Turismo series, especially on PS2 was always about the art and not the technology... Ask nAo, he run the game through the Performance Analyser and saw the game pushed 3M polys PEAK, with the average being much lower...

The Gran Turismo series, especially on PS2 was always about the art and not the technology... Ask nAo, he run the game through the Performance Analyser and saw the game pushed 3M polys PEAK, with the average being much lower...

This is really interesting... I was thinking that also polygon number would be high to get car models realistic. So Polyphony can make realistic a car with the old PS2 hardware and in others example we can't reach this realism on newer games with any sort of effects existing on next (actual) generation console. :oops: :cry:

SNES: Supermario RPG, Donkey Kong Country

N64: Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye

Xbox: Ninja Gaiden, Chronicles of Riddick, Dead or Alive Ultimate

For the N64 I would say Conker. I remember thinking if Rare can push the N64 like that then how awesome their games would look on Nintendo's next console.

PS2 = SOTC, no dout about that ;)

I have to agree. Either that or the Jak series. But i do put my money on SOTC, the amount of different effects running on PS2, when everyone else thought they couldn't be done at all, is quite amazing. Things like Fur, DOF, motion blur, HDR (ok it's "fake" but still) and the amount of particles, size of colossi, draw distance, all running in progressive scan... the game is absolutely out of this world. And this all on little old PS2!!

Jak, well we all know why the Jak series pushed PS2. Really quite amazing too.

I have to agree. Either that or the Jak series. But i do put my money on SOTC, the amount of different effects running on PS2, when everyone else thought they couldn't be done at all, is quite amazing. Things like Fur, DOF, motion blur, HDR (ok it's "fake" but still) and the amount of particles, size of colossi, draw distance, all running in progressive scan... the game is absolutely out of this world. And this all on little old PS2!!

Jak, well we all know why the Jak series pushed PS2. Really quite amazing too.

On the NES, Kirby.
On the Snes I'd say Tales Of Phantasia, it had an audio voice track and everything.
On the megadrive Sonic Dash? Or Spin. That isometric looking Sonic.
On the Gameboy, hmmmmmm thats a tough one, probably some Kirby game.
One the Gamegear, MK2 is pretty good (but damn it was framy)
On the PS1, never really played that many PS1 games but MGS did okay so did Vandal Hearts or Vargant Story one of those two.
On the Dreamcast Shenmue 2.
On the PS2, hmmmm, FF12? SOTC?
On the N64, Conker hands down and Battle for Naboo
On the Cube Zelda TTP but what about the second Factor5 game, Rebel Assault X?
On the XBox, HL2, Doom3.
On the Saturn PD
On the DS, probably FF3 and Mario Hoops (funny they're both Square games).

Hmm.... fun thread. =)

SNES - Yoshi's Island
NES - Batman 2
Gameboy Color - Shante
PS1 - Wipeout 3
PS2 - SOTC or GT4
Genesis - Dynamite Headdy ??
Saturn - VF2 ?

C64- Airborne Ranger (or any micropose game)
Amiga- SWIV or anything by Reflections/DMA design or Cinemaware.
Megadrive- Gunstar Heroes
Xbox- Unreal Championship 2

Back