Which Final Fantasy should I play?

PARANOiA

Veteran
Ello... I really dislike these threads, but I appreciate the feedback of guys and gals on this forum. I played FFVII years ago, loved it to death, of course, and then played FF6/3, and thought it was pretty great as well.

I want to get into the series a lot more, and was hoping for suggestions on which titles shine out of the series.

Well my personal favorite of the Final Fantasy series is Final Fantasy 4 (That would be Final Fantasy II on the SNES over here). Final Fantasy 6 was the overall best Final Fantasy game ever made though. I would say play Final Fantasy 4 and 5... you already played Final Fantasy 6, but I would of recommended that also if you had not played it. You could also check out Final Fantasy 1 on the NES if you really want to be old school and really find out where RPGs started from, but you could also check out Final Fantasy Origins (PS1) which has a remake of that or Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (GBA) which is basically a GBA port of that PS1 game with some new bosses and areas.

I would avoid Final Fantasy 8 and higher personally if I was you... it was too late for me and I played them, but I am just warning future players. :LOL:

The GameMaster...

if u have a gameboy advance or a ds get final fantasy 1+2 they are great for on the go rpging .

The GameMaster said:
I would avoid Final Fantasy 8 and higher personally if I was you... it was too late for me and I played them, but I am just warning future players. :LOL:

I personally think that FF8 is the best in the series, I loved the story and it's the only FF-game I have finished more than once. I think the worst is FFX-2 and FF9 in which the first cd is really good stuff, but after that it falls apart.

PARANOia you should just play the games for yourself, there is no way we can possibly no what you like, but still play FF8 first!.

PARANOiA said:
Ello... I really dislike these threads, but I appreciate the feedback of guys and gals on this forum. I played FFVII years ago, loved it to death, of course, and then played FF6/3, and thought it was pretty great as well.

I want to get into the series a lot more, and was hoping for suggestions on which titles shine out of the series.

Well it depends on what console you have... If you have a PS2, you should really give FFX a try. Despite all its flaws (and there's a lot of them), it's one hell of a good game. And bloody huge.

I'm relatively noob FF fan, having first played the series on PlayStation.
Since FFVII I've played VIII, IX and X (not that X-2).
My favorite of them was IX, least favorite X.

1. IX
2. VII
3. VIII
4. X

Edit: Corrected XIII to VIII :)

FFXII ;)

It's the one made by Vagrant Story team, so it should have not boring to death battle system.

There are other Square games you can play such as :
Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Vagrant Story, which are very good.

(Overall I don't like FFs as games, their gameplay is too horrible to me, but they are entertaining 'movies'/'series'.)

rabidrabbit said:
I'm relatively noob FF fan, having first played the series on PlayStation.
Since FFVII I've played XIII, IX and X (not that X-2).
My favorite of them was IX, least favorite X.

1. IX
2. VII
3. XIII
4. X

Heh I'd like to hear more about that XIII :D

Hey everybody. I've been lurking here for a while, and being a pretty big Final Fantasy nerd, I finally felt compelled to register!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics! I thought it had the best story, best music, and most interesting gameplay out of all the FF games. I had a blast experimenting with all the possible skill combinations that the job system offered. My favorite was my team of dancers and mimes (who could mimic the dances, of course), who could totally cripple all my enemies before moving in for the kill.

IX is probably my favorite of the numbered FFs. I'd say it has the best characters out of all of them (at least since VI). I truly cared about them all, and loved seeing them intereact. . . well, I loved seeing everybody make fun of Steiner mainly! Seriously though, anybody who could play that game and not care about VIVI must not have a heart. Girls love this game too.
X: Lots of eye candy and a unique story for the FF series (you know who the enemy is in the first 10 minutes of the game). The characters are all annoying though, and I wanted to punch Tidus in the face every time he opened his stupid whiny mouth.
X-2: Play this if you hate yourself.
VIII: Great music, interesting setting, and lots of new gameplay mechanics that haven't been used since. The story was also great, and was definitely on the strange side. The characters are a bunch of obnoxious teenagers, though, so it's not for everybody. I really don't know why people hated this one so much.
V: The job system in this game is awesome. You get to mix and match skills from a ton of different character classes to make the ultimate team of warriors. It's a great challenge as well.

Anyway, you can see that everybody has a different preference when it comes to FF. I guess you just have to play them all! Except X-2.

Final Fantasy Tactics is definatley a great game. Matsuno did a realy good job with that one. I personally love Final Fantasy VI. It was the first Final Fantasy I've ever played and I still get nostalgic whenever I think back about it. After that it would have to be FFVII.....man....that game had such wonderful musical scores and the characters struck home for me.

Everything after VII has been good for me but I haven't been able to recapture the feelings I got from VI and VII.....must be because I was so young at the time.... :cry:

Its funny how the Final Fantasy Series has played out this long and you can actually kinda classify people by what Final Fantasy stuck a cord with them. Love it or hate it theres something about Final Fantasy.....

ninelven said:
PARANOia you should just play the games for yourself, there is no way we can possibly no what you like, but still play FF8 first!.

Under no circumstances play FFVIII. All I can say about it is that upon completion I wanted both my time and my money back. There is nothing wrong with the game technically though, so if all you care about is character level, stats, and graphics, it might be worth a go. I didn't play anything after VIII, though my friend seemed to like IX well enough.

Well that's your opinion and it just happens to be incorrect :).

Most people think that 7 and 9 are better than 8, but 8 also got good reviews, and to say it's crap should only be noted as a personal opinion and I strongly suggest that everybody makes their own mind about this. I think the characters and the story was the highlight of FF8.

The draw system in 8 was sort of annoying and the leveling up with the characters was to easy to abuse but the story was pretty good.

2 and 3 for the SNES were the best ever. The ones after that were all pretty terrible, IMO, until FF X, that was pretty cool.

If you likes the SNES FF's then you should definately try chrono trigger, and secret of mana.

I prefer by far Xenogears, vagrant story and the 2 chronos to the ff (played 5 to 6 times the seventh one, one time the eight, and noone since).

I think as far as recommending a Final Fantasy to you, it all depends on how 'low' you are willing to go in terms of graphical quality.

I frankly can't imagine playing any of the Final Fantasy's without first having played FF1, but maybe that's just because that's how it went down for me.

FF3/6 definitely is probably the best.

Other contenders, for different reasons in my book, are VII, IX, and X.

Tactics is great, and if you play that and like it, play Tactics Ogre as well.

Like mentioned above, though not an FF, Chrono Trigger is key.
(Where's that healthy looking kid with the radical haircut?)

Also if you can handle the 'lower graphics' FF's, then maybe try some of the Dragon Warriors/Quests like III and IV.

6/3 is easily the best of the series, with 7 coming in 2nd. After that I kind of lost interest in the others. I started 8 but only got past the 1st disc before I just kind of...stopped?

Definitely play Chrono Trigger(SNES version) though.

Back