where the hell are the 8bit lcd panels???

vazel

Regular
maybe i'm just not looking in the right places? nearly everything is 16.2million colors. where are the 16.7million color lcd panels? curse all of you that buy 6bit panels! now they're everywhere! the only 8bit panels left seem to be the expensive high end ones like the dell widescreens.

Last edited by a moderator:
but...but.....but.....but..... the response time!

It seems to be easier to sell an LCD that way, then say, color accuracy.

/still using my Trinitron until otherwise, too.

Dell 1905FP is 8-bit and it isn't expensive or widescreen. :D Response time isn't awesome, but I game rather well on it anyway. It looks great, has an awesome metal support stand and has USB2 hub built right in.

Bahadir said:
dont think so. Almost every 19" lcds out there are 6-bit panels.
Actually, up until recently almost every 19" panel was 8-bit. Even older models like the Dell 1900FP/Samsung 191T. It's only with the more recent low reponse 19" models have there actually been any 6-bit 19" panel. And everything larger is 8-bit.

Just out of curiosity..

How are the colors calculated? 8bit is 8/8/8 (2^24 then?) so thats 16.7m

What I don't understand is how 6bit is 16.2m? How do they get that fudgy number?

Bobbler said:
Just out of curiosity..

How are the colors calculated? 8bit is 8/8/8 (2^24 then?) so thats 16.7m

What I don't understand is how 6bit is 16.2m? How do they get that fudgy number?

Dithering maybe?

Tahir2 said:
Interpolation.. actual real colours is 18bit or 262144 colours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/11/05/17/page6.html

Thanks. Rather interesting, if not a bit deceitful with their 16.2m claim.

I picked up a 19inch samsung 12ms panel for $230 (after rebates) earlier this week and noticed it was 16.2 (was sort of expecting that for the price) -- the color looks no worse than my 19inch NEC/Mitsubishi CRT, so it seems like the dithering does a pretty decent job.

For those that dare, what you should do is pick a color shade and display a gradient of it across the screen from full black to full saturation of that color (using a decent graphics editing app). Does it look smooth or can you pick out "steps" in the gradiation? Are there areas where it almost looks grainy or "patterned" where it should just be a solid color? That's the indication of the "missing colors/bits". The problem doesn't really show up just by evaluating the overal color rendition of a picture on screen- as long as the display can hit the primary colors, you will get a reasonable/satisfactory rendition of the image. It's the gradiation of colors (which are just another another way to express the many discrete colors referred to by that 16.x mil figure) that really isolates out the degree of color range. You can really entertain yourself and deliberately set your videocard to one of the lower color-bit settings (256 color, 16k color, etc.), and see what that does to the gradient. ;) (I guess that would constitute a test that leverages spatial AND color resolution at the same time...wink-wink)

randycat99 said:
For those that dare, what you should do is pick a color shade and display a gradient of it across the screen from full black to full saturation of that color (using a decent graphics editing app). Does it look smooth or can you pick out "steps" in the gradiation? Are there areas where it almost looks grainy or "patterned" where it should just be a solid color? That's the indication of the "missing colors/bits". The problem doesn't really show up just by evaluating the overal color rendition of a picture on screen- as long as the display can hit the primary colors, you will get a reasonable/satisfactory rendition of the image. It's the gradiation of colors (which are just another another way to express the many discrete colors referred to by that 16.x mil figure) that really isolates out the degree of color range. You can really entertain yourself and deliberately set your videocard to one of the lower color-bit settings (256 color, 16k color, etc.), and see what that does to the gradient. ;) (I guess that would constitute a test that leverages spatial AND color resolution at the same time...wink-wink)

Here you go.
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=357564

randycat99 said:
You can use the Displaymate utility (spectrum option) to do this test.

Yes, I can see the gradation during the tests. Also I can see some ghost and motion blur.

No I cant see the above problems during normal office or entertainment use.

Back