Where r the EX3dfx employeers?

Rookie

Newcomer
Quote from http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20030613020611.htmlxbitlabs:

"Gary Tarolli, who is the co-founder of 3dfx, as everybody knows, now develops graphics processors at NVIDIA Corporation. I have no idea what exactly he is dealing with, but I am sure he does some great things for the Santa Clara, California-based GPU company.

Another co-founder of 3dfx, Mr. Ross Smith, now works at Quantum3D as Executive Vice President of Marketing and Business Development. He co-founded this 3D company together with Gordon Campbell, another 3dfx executive and co-founder who now serves as the Chairman of the Board at Quantum3D. Both Campbell and Ross are very talented and successful people with long-lasting careers at different companies.

Scott Sellers, another co-founder of 3dfx, seems to have retired, since I could not find a mention about him anywhere.

George T. Haber, who was actually the President and CEO of GigaPixel Corporation now also has dozens of things to do. He and sits on the Board of a few selected Companies: Zoran, BOPS, Aristo Technologies and so on.

Stephen Lapinski, who was Senior Vice President, Worldwide Marketing at 3dfx, now serves as Vice President of System Engineering and Strategic Alliances for the Memory Group at AMD. He is responsible for AMD抯 strategic alliances and marketing, business development, and memory sub-system development activities, for the embedded and wireless market segments.

A man 3dfx community will never forget is definitely Alex Leupp, who was the President and Chief Executive Officer of 3dfx in late 2000, when the company was sold to NVIDIA. Well, now Mr. Leupp has the same position at Atsana Semiconductor, a company whose main focus is on media processor solutions for wireless media (video, image and audio) applications. Atsana's media processors enable wireless smart phones and PC /network cameras, to deliver multimedia applications such as multimedia messaging, interactive video communications, video streaming and other future media rich content without sacrificing battery life or performance.

Phil Carmack, who was originally with the 3dfx team during the early years as Vice President of Hardware, where he oversaw all Voodoo products up through the Voodoo3 and came back at 3dfx as VP of R&D with GigaPixel, where he served as Chief Operating Officer and was responsible for redirecting GigaPixel to execute on DirectX 8.0 architecture, now serves as Vice President Business Development at NVIDIA."

I would like to add more:

"Brian Burke,former 3dfx PR manager,now Nvidia Senior PR manager.

Andrew Fear,former 3dfx ...hmm,which position,now Nvidia software manager.

Brian Hook,every know who he is. ;) hmm,I lost Brian Hook's email. :(

Brian Burning,form 3dfx developer director,now works at http://www.fathammer.com.

Bubba "MasterFung" Wolford,former 3dfx PR,now is hardware editor of http://www.simhq.com/.

as far as Scott seller,Brian Burning told me he is not at 3d field,maybe he is doing some Java work? "

I think u(REV,Dave,Etc...hehe) must know more about ex3dfxer current status,plz list it here. :)

2 more European guys for your list :

Luciano Alibrandi is now a Technical Marketing Manager for NVIDIA used to do something similar for 3Dfx.

Andrew Humber is now European PR Manager at NVIDIA used to be the same for 3Dfx.

Gary Tarolli is officially a 3D Architect. Not exactly sure what he does but that's the same position Dany Lepage/Ubisoft/SplinterCell was in when he was with NVIDIA (working on NV20).

Scott Sellers is, er, working on a new start up (well, that's what he told me last we corresponded).

Adam Foat used to also be tech support for 3dfx and he's working alongside Andrew in a more technical capacity.

John Reynolds is modding the boards. :)

JR was the reviewer of the 3dfxgamers site. If the site were still alive as well as 3dfx he would still be there I think.
He might not have been a chip designer but nonetheless he was doing work for them as a game reviewer. If he was paid or not is irrelevent,

Hey, no fair -- if John qualifies, so should I! 3dfx's AA PR push wouldn't've even got off the ground if not for my "work" being displayed at 3dfxgamers!

Hehe ;) :LOL:

And, please, somebody mention our own Dave Barron and the bearded-one-with-the-pink-lipsticks.

Mummy said:
Nobody's working on revenge? :p

That's very unfair for all the 3dfx people who worked on NV30, the first Nvidia chip to introduce 3dfx patented technology (MissedCycle(TM) and DelayedProduct(R) technologies)...

Reverend said:
Hey, no fair -- if John qualifies, so should I! 3dfx's AA PR push wouldn't've even got off the ground if not for my "work" being displayed at 3dfxgamers!

Hehe ;) :LOL:

And, please, somebody mention our own Dave Barron and the bearded-one-with-the-pink-lipsticks.

You did that? :eek:

I did a whole bunch of "game movies" showing off the benefit of AA which got shown at 3dfxgamers. Scott Sellers kept asking me to :)

I can no longer remember which, and how many, of my movies got used by 3dfx at 3dfxgamers.

I did save the page where 3dfxgamers interviewed me though, hehe :)

Reverend said:
I did a whole bunch of "game movies" showing off the benefit of AA which got shown at 3dfxgamers. Scott Sellers kept asking me to :)

I can no longer remember which, and how many, of my movies got used by 3dfx at 3dfxgamers.

I did save the page where 3dfxgamers interviewed me though, hehe :)

Please upload it. :)
I would like to read it.

I heard that the Austin TX NVIDIA office (now working on nForce) is comprised of ex-3Dfx employees. This holds some weight in my experience, because the Austin office uses different conventions than the Santa Clara office--for example, the use of SIGNAL_ vs SIGNAL# for complimentary signal names.

Nah, re-reading the interview now, I'm a bit embarrassed by some of my answers!

As for how I made the movies -- Scott Sellers gave me a Glide driver for the very purpose of making "movies". They contain a FX_GLIDE_SCREENSHOT_KEY environment for taking a whole series of screenshots as you move about in any game or during a demo run. With the screenshots, I used a Java applet to turn them into a "movie" where the applet will display the images in a series on a web page.

ricercar said:
I heard that the Austin TX NVIDIA office (now working on nForce) is comprised of ex-3Dfx employees. This holds some weight in my experience, because the Austin office uses different conventions than the Santa Clara office--for example, the use of SIGNAL_ vs SIGNAL# for complimentary signal names.

Hmm, interesting. Does that include the Aureal guys perhaps?

That's very unfair for all the 3dfx people who worked on NV30, the first Nvidia chip to introduce 3dfx patented technology (MissedCycle(TM) and DelayedProduct(R) technologies)...

Oh, but that's not all. From my understanding, the whole 8 pipelines / 4 pipelines thing comes from 3DFX too. Pretty much the same idea as on the TNT2, with the difference the "8" pipelines can nearly never be used :) So, you see, what did 3DFX bring to nVidia's GPU line?
- Missed cycle
- Delayed Product
- Completely ridiculous pipeline organization
- Focus on making old stuff go fast ( FX12 *sigh* )

Wanna bet Rampage really had 1 pipeline? ;) j/k, didn't mean to offend you 3DFXers :)

Uttar

Harlequin said:
i`ll have to dig out my powerpoint presentation about the Rampage. ;)

I've never seen that one, even though I heard a lot about it.
So if you seriously still got it - feel "free" to PM me. ;)
Could even host it at NFI for a few days ( if you want, can keep it for myself too if you prefer ) , but I doubt nVidia would appreciate me to keep it too long there, eh...

Uttar

Uttar,

3DFX issues were never really its hardware or design of the hardware. Just the piss poor management calls and choices. Kind of funny as of late, that's (piss poor management calls) about the only thing NV is using from 3DFX :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
He might not have been a chip designer. . . .

And had I been, that would've explained why they went out of business. :oops:

Bubba is EIC at SimHQ and is handing over most hardware reviews to yours truly. My review of the VisionTek 9800 Pro should be up fairly soon.

Back