Where does your username come from?

mcsven

Newcomer
Simple question. Mine is a combo of two names: my surname, McQueen, and the Scandinavian forename Sven. I first used it ages ago when trying to think of a username for a game - Quake, quite possibly. It stuck from then. I don't really know where the Sven bit came from, other than it amused me to run a Scottish prefix against a Scandinavian name since it seemed somewhat unlikely.

Scrying is looking through a crystal ball to predict the future, and the K is just cooler.

Generally I only use the name for forums, any game you'll catch me playing as ChemicalWarrior, a unit for the first C&C game, and now there is a constant |7| tag in front of it for my clan.

Ahh, |7|ChemicalWarrior. Just looks nice.

Rather boringly, it's simply a play on my surname, and a nickname I used to have at school, so it just seemed logical to take it into the realms of the Internet.

Ironically, it's still stuck as a real-life nickname, due mostly to people's knowledge of my online persona!

Wow, this is freaky... I was on the bog two days ago and i was thinking about posting a thread about this!!
Now, i don't know why i would think about posting here while i'm in the toilet but anyway, the focus here is that i thought about creating this same thread!!

Oh, well, my name comes from my days on the IGN boards (i left them when they started charging, long time ago, which i never agreed to). At the time it was London-Fan-boy (fan-boy all one word). Then i came here and as we all know, the word "fan-boy" is censored, so i had to change it to London-boy, which sounds much like a username one would use in a raunchy personals website, but at the time i thought it was a good idea...

Choosing a name for quake I wanted to use Baron von Chickenpants which was from an episode of the Simpsons where Bart wears a chicken and shouts to Lisa that he is Baron von Chickenpants.
Baron von Chickenpants wouldn't fit so I shortened it to Captain Chickenpants.

Strangely I have seen other people play online with the same name , and am not sure if they saw my name and liked it, or came up with it themselves via the same or a different route. Although I look to have the name pretty much sewn up on google.

My sceen name comes from 1998 i guess for one of my yahoo accounts, as you see it's composed of two words:

nocturne |ˈnäkˌtərn|
noun
Music a short composition of a romantic or dreamy character.

dragon |ˈdragən|
noun
a dignified, strong and intimidating person.

Then fun part is that now even in real life a lot of people call me Noc

Pretty simple really. 9 years ago I had a Spanish flatmate who would always call me "neee-yeek" instead of Nick, and it's stuck ever since.

we needed some names for characters in our game-designs years ago. i thought Mr. Permen sounds nice for a surname. and well, this, till today, fits together with my real name, to davepermen.

interestingly, more people know that name in reallife, than my real surname (Spörri). till the day, my schoolfriend (3 years in the same class) came home, and said to my mom "Hello Mrs. Permen" ... hehe.

this nickname is everywhere the same, be it in a game, be it online. it's even my dj-name in public.

No specific reason, first thing I could think of when joining B3D. Maybe it's just a subliminal message from the subconcious screaming about my slight sex-addiction ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured there probably would be an old topic but it had dropped out of my memory and so I thought I'd ask the question again. Plus, in two years I'm sure we've gained some new members!

I tried to get a hotmail address as marty and it suggested madmartyau because i'm from australia. I thought it best to keep that name for every thing on the internet. I only use my real name for my Gamertag so my customers can recognise me easily.

epic struggle: My immigration journey felt like it. :( On the 28th half my problems are over, i just need to get my wife over here and im changing my nick/username.

epic

Thanks fallguy, you saved me several lines of typing :D.

Basic said:
Oh, is it time for this thread again? :D

I've always been interested in computers. In late 1987 my (somewhat ignorant) friends thought that it meant that I was programming in BASIC all night long. So they started calling me Mr Basic (or just Basic).

I kind of liked it in a self derogatory way, so I started using it myself.

Crisidelm:
I've actually thought "so that's why he got that name". But maybe I would've used a 'r' instead of 'l'.
Is it the right reason?

Back