Whens the next generation due?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Quitch

Veteran

My PC is what I would considering limping along. It's approaching its fifth birthday, but I have been kind to it, an extra GB of memory, a new sound card and a new AGP graphics card the X1950 Pro.

But alas, the CPU, it is a crippling factor. The 3Ghz Pentium IV was great in its day, but no longer. And moving to a new processor means a new board and that means no AGP. So I may as well get that widescreen I wanted, and a beefier power supply will be required, and perhaps a quieter setup.

A new PC in other words.

But there's no point doing that now because the current gen isn't the DX10 gen and we all know it. There's nothing out that is going to run the DX10 games of tomorrow at anything approach a decent standard, it will be the next generation that achieves that, so it seems like a bad time to buy now and better to wait. But how long do I need to wait?

2. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

You buy a rig with SLI'd 8800s or a pair of 3870x2s in crossfire-x and I think you'll be all set for a future proof system right now.

3. Quitch

Veteran

Urgh, SLI and Crossfire can go die in a fire. Constant problems, minimal support, twice the cost for less than twice the performance and immediately made irrelevant by the next generation?

No thanks.