When will peripheral blur be eliminated/reduced?

Whenever using the PSVR headset, I've sort of had to adapt to only turning my head - rather than the eyes + head combo that I've used my entire life - because the periphery is distractingly blurry.

Now, I've heard of foveated rendering, and seen a noticeable example of it in Megaton Rainfall. That, I'm fine with, and it will only improve as eye tracking technology makes its way into headsets.

But this issue doesn't feel like a quirk of foveated rendering; it's always present, whether on the XMB or watching a film. It feels more like a foible of the lenses.

So, is it the lenses that are at fault? Or is it that foveated rendering is used everywhere, even when watching a film?

If the former, is that an issue that we're likely to see fixed any time soon, or would it be too expensive?

Oh right. That's interesting.

I play on OG PS4.

So, just to be clear, in case I didn't explain myself properly:
- You're on the PS4's home screen, using the medium screen setting, so you can see the entire screen. Your face and eyes are both pointing towards the centre of the screen.
- On OG PS4, if you keep your head stationary and look to the corner of the screen, it's blurry.
- On PS4Pro, if you keep your head stationary and look to the corner of the screen, it's sharp, or at least, not too blurry.

Is that about right?

Oh right. That's interesting.

I play on OG PS4.

So, just to be clear, in case I didn't explain myself properly:
- You're on the PS4's home screen, using the medium screen setting, so you can see the entire screen. Your face and eyes are both pointing towards the centre of the screen.
- On OG PS4, if you keep your head stationary and look to the corner of the screen, it's blurry.
- On PS4Pro, if you keep your head stationary and look to the corner of the screen, it's sharp, or at least, not too blurry.

Is that about right?

Yes. The PS4's home screen is way sharper on the PS4 Pro than the OG because it is rendering at 4K and downscaling to 1080p.

Back