When will ATI start to lead instead of following ?

crystalcube

Newcomer
Does anybody else also get the same feeling ?
I was trying to build a linux based HTPC and thought that I will use my 8500 for it and upgrade my desktop's video card to 9800. Sounds good but ATI support for linux is quite poor and I end up buying 5200 because all I need from my HTPC is TV-out and nvidia has good support for linux ( as well as freebsd ). And if you look at ATI's site for linux support all the projects listed under linux seem to be dead.
Its just not the linux/freebsd support but look at the driver download site for ATI, its just the replica of nvidia's. I did pretty exhaustive search on net for any kind of support for ATI but its all bad and doesn't works well. In most of the forums there's only one answer "buy nvidia". I know most people will say linux is just a small fraction of user but there are users and ATI will be just loosing them.
And I have been thinking that although ATI is leading the benchmarks but they still dont have what it takes to be the leader.

btw regarding ATI & MS licensing deal for Xbox2
ATI is saying : Yeah we beat everyone
Nvidia is saying : been there done that ;)

I know most people will say linux is just a small fraction of user but there are users and ATI will be just loosing them.
And I have been thinking that although ATI is leading the benchmarks but they still dont have what it takes to be the leader.

Yeah, and Linux is beating Windows in benchmarks and still doesn't have what it takes to be the leader either... :p

In most of the forums there's only one answer "buy nvidia".

Actually, that's not surprising considering the standard Linux newsgroup answer is "Stop using this PoS video card/email client/distrib/Web browser/shell and start using a *real* video card/email client/distrib/Web browser/shell, ie mine". I think on really advanced Linux newsgroups, they have bots to make those kind of answers. :)

crystalcube said:
Its just not the linux/freebsd support but look at the driver download site for ATI, its just the replica of nvidia's.
Funny that you think ATI is copying nVidia with that driver selection thing when they probably just copied any of the hundreds of other sites that have been doing the same thing since forever.
I guess we know where you're really coming from then...

crystalcube said:
Does anybody else also get the same feeling ?
I was trying to build a linux based HTPC and thought that I will use my 8500 for it and upgrade my desktop's video card to 9800. Sounds good but ATI support for linux is quite poor and I end up buying 5200 because all I need from my HTPC is TV-out and nvidia has good support for linux ( as well as freebsd ). And if you look at ATI's site for linux support all the projects listed under linux seem to be dead.
Its just not the linux/freebsd support but look at the driver download site for ATI, its just the replica of nvidia's. I did pretty exhaustive search on net for any kind of support for ATI but its all bad and doesn't works well. In most of the forums there's only one answer "buy nvidia". I know most people will say linux is just a small fraction of user but there are users and ATI will be just loosing them.

As someone else has pointed out above, ATI have just asked for Linux beta-testers, so I presume they have been working on *nix support, and that's coming very soon.

crystalcube said:

The last year at ATI begs to differ - they shipped the first DX9 card a year ago while Nvidia were faffing around before finally giving up on NV30. NV35 is still having problems, and ATI is eating into Nvidia market share and is actually a larger company financially (according to the latest stock figures)

crystalcube said:

Nvidia would say that because they lost the contract, and managed to bring in X-Box 1 under spec, over cost (IIRC), and it delayed the rest of their PC products, hurting the company.

Of course the way Nvidia have been lying and cheating left right and centre, it's no wonder they're saying the didn't want the contract anyway. It's just another indication of Nvidia's star being on the wane.

As someone else has pointed out above, ATI have just asked for Linux beta-testers, so I presume they have been working on *nix support, and that's coming very soon.

I know but thats the point I am trying to make that ATI does things quite slowly.

crystalcube said:

Nvidia would say that because they lost the contract, and managed to bring in X-Box 1 under spec, over cost (IIRC), and it delayed the rest of their PC products, hurting the company.

well the comment about xbox2 was just a joke.

For those people who know where I am really coming from...I doubt you will see my point. But you see ATI had a 6 month lead over Nvidia regarding DX9 part but today nvidia has 60% of DX9 market. And look now I am one of them but I am not going to use their part for DX9 at all. I was just trying to highlight this aspect. ATI might be very good at graphics tech right now but do they have the vision to take it to the masses ?

CorwinB said:
Actually, that's not surprising considering the standard Linux newsgroup answer is "Stop using this PoS video card/email client/distrib/Web browser/shell and start using a *real* video card/email client/distrib/Web browser/shell, ie mine".

Yep they can be too "linuxy" at times ;)

I think on really advanced Linux newsgroups, they have bots to make those kind of answers. :)

no doubt about that one ;)

jokes apart actually as far as open source is concerned they dont really like Nvidia , because of their closed source driver model. but then again what are the choices ?

hopefully ATI release kick ass catalyst for Linux and I will be able to upgrade soon .

crystalcube said:
ATI might be very good at graphics tech right now but do they have the vision to take it to the masses ?

If getting your technology into two out of the three big next-generation consoles isn't 'taking your vision to the masses', I don't know what is.

crystalcube said:
I know but thats the point I am trying to make that ATI does things quite slowly.

<shrug> they've been working on their Windows drivers. If you look at what has been happening at the ATi driver releases over the last year compared to the Nvidia driver releases, ATI are miles ahead.

crystalcube said:
For those people who know where I am really coming from...I doubt you will see my point. But you see ATI had a 6 month lead over Nvidia regarding DX9 part but today nvidia has 60% of DX9 market. And look now I am one of them but I am not going to use their part for DX9 at all. I was just trying to highlight this aspect. ATI might be very good at graphics tech right now but do they have the vision to take it to the masses ?

I'd like to know where you get the 60 percent figure from, considering DX9 cards have only been shipping from Nvdia in the last couple of months. And there is still a lot of debate as to whether those low end volume cards are even properly DX9 cards considering many DX9 features are far too slow to actually use except in sub-DX9 precisions or with a million Microsoft wavers.

I think ATI have shown they have what it takes from when Dave Orton arrived and the R300 shipped. They have made massive strides forwards, overtaking Nvdia and surprising everyone. ATI allow their products to speak for them, without the lying and cheating that Nvidia have been reduced to.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I'd like to know where you get the 60 percent figure from, considering DX9 cards have only been shipping from Nvdia in the last couple of months. And there is still a lot of debate as to whether those low end volume cards are even properly DX9 cards considering many DX9 features are far too slow to actually use except in sub-DX9 precisions or with a million Microsoft wavers.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030731084600.html

NVIDIA’s share among all DirectX 9.0-supporting graphics processors shipped skyrocketed to 60%, obviously, thanks to 70% share in the Value DirectX 9.0-compliant GPUs market. Even though its dollars share is lower, units share seems to be very important for the company.

Hanners said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030731084600.html

NVIDIA’s share among all DirectX 9.0-supporting graphics processors shipped skyrocketed to 60%, obviously, thanks to 70% share in the Value DirectX 9.0-compliant GPUs market. Even though its dollars share is lower, units share seems to be very important for the company.

Hmm. There doesn't seem to be a direct source quoted, though it is implied to be Mercury Research. It doesn't seem to be reliable when:

"Last quarter, Mercury Research accounted for the entire 1.6 million nForce MCPs as “Integrated Desktop 3D Chipsetsâ€￾, even though many of them did not have integrated graphics."

Of course, if you read a little more, it's all very open to interpretation. That 60 percent is for just this quarter, and is of units *shipped* not sold. Considering that Nvdia has just managed to get its DX9/pretend DX9 hardware out this quarter, it's no surpise that we see a lot of Nvidia units being shipped out to distributers. If we added up all the DX9 units shipped from ATI and Nvidia over the last year I think you'll find that Nvdia has not sold (or even shipped) 60 percent of all the DX9 hardware out there. The numbers quoted above simply do not refer to that, so you can't say that "Nvdia has 60 percent of the DX9 market" based on those figures.

And of course, if you belive those figures, it seems that Nvidia is sacrificing profit in order to get units out there. If that is "leading", it's probably not a lead that ATI wish to follow.

EDIT: By the same logic these figures mean that ATI shipped 100 percent of all DX9 hardware in Q4 02 and Q1 03, and 40 percent of all DX9 cards in Q2 03. Looks like it's Nvidia that's following rather than leading to me.

crystalcube said:

Years ago the president of IBM's software division at the time (Gertsner? can't recall), when asked about upcoming OS's from M$ and what impact on OS/2 he foresaw as the result, snickered, and was quoted as saying, "Been there, done that."

When I read that I was stunned that this was to be IBM's attitude going forward with OS/2 development, and later was not at all surprised when OS/2 became an historical footnote (My three retail copies of the OS made good coasters for awhile...;))

Sometimes companies "come back, do it better," you know.

crystalcube said:
Nvidia is saying : been there done that
<cough> GameCube? <cough>

methinks nvidia followed ATI into the console market.... :)

I just have to say congrats everyone for no flames, when I saw the topic I thought there would be anger and whatnot, but it seemed pretty good. I think ATI has pursued the consumer mindset of being a smaller company to apeal to the underdog mentality many have, ala AMD. Perhaps this is why people think they are small, but who knows.

<cough> GameCube? <cough>

methinks nvidia followed ATI into the console market.... :)

Wasn't Gamecube originally done by Artx , though ATI acquired Artx but well :)

I just have to say congrats everyone for no flames, when I saw the topic I thought there would be anger and whatnot, but it seemed pretty good.

Actually thats why I posted here instead of lets say on Rage3D. My point is not to flame but highlight my point. Although everbody is telling me I am wrong ;) but I feel I highlighted a valid point .

I think ATI has pursued the consumer mindset of being a smaller company to apeal to the underdog mentality many have, ala AMD. Perhaps this is why people think they are small, but who knows.

Maybe ... but I dont think they are small just slow to react to market. They always had comparable tech. but it took them long time to realise the importance of good drivers and how this can influence mindset. Now they have covered that area very well and you can see the impact. Would R300 made any impact if the driver of the same quality as the pre-catalyst days ?

crystalcube said:

I seem to remember NVIDIA actually saying "Well, we still wanted to do that and we don't like the fact that we aren't".

crystalcube said:
Maybe ... but I dont think they are small just slow to react to market. They always had comparable tech. but it took them long time to realise the importance of good drivers and how this can influence mindset. Now they have covered that area very well and you can see the impact. Would R300 made any impact if the driver of the same quality as the pre-catalyst days ?

Slower before, faster and it would seem more accurate than nVidia now. <shrugs> nVidia almost stumbled to death coming out of the gates, and it took them a while to get all their policies in line to really bear down and dethrone 3dfx and get to the position they are today. After getting there, they seem to be playing with more marketing shinnanigas than spending all that money as well just making killer tech, which seems like a very Microsoft way to go. (All all things considered, though it can really leverage your advantage, DON'T expect it to be approved of by the geek community. :p )

I tend to root for the underdog until they get about even, at which point I rather hope the companies stay about neck and neck--trading off positions once in a while--as that's the best situation for US! Hehe... All things considered, though, even while rooting for the likes of AMD and ATI to close ground, ATI seems to have REALLY gotten their shit together and closed the game despite my "help." ;) Would they have gotten nearly as far without nVidia stumbling? No, but then nVidia's stumbing was a part of their own business handlings anyway, same as ATI's fumbling with drivers for years. Poor choices keep you in poor positions or cause you to lose ground. The public certainly is unpredictable, but then the OEM's are the meat of the market. There are lots of decisions that can be lauded, and lots of ways in which to screw up overall.

But hey, dems da breaks. <shrugs>

I think that Nvidia is really w/o a doubt behind ATi at the moment, but it will take sometime for the market to "acknowledge" it. By that time hopefully Nvidia will have better stuff out so that ATi will not run away with the lead. I honestly could see that happening unless the NV40 can compete better on a price/performance ratio than the NV35 can right now.

I don't think at all that nVidia is "behind" ATI. I think both companies are enormously invested in GPU tech, and we really won't be able to tell just what to expect from them from generation to generation. I think nVidia unfocused a bit this last round and concentrated on less important things and made a few poorer decisions, but anyone who things either of the companies "doomed" right now or incapable of redoubling their efforts in X section of the marketplace to regain ground and and just deliver excellence in general is pretty sillified. We can't judge the current fight based on just this last round of chip types, but nor can we lean too heavily on the extended past. This is one of the fastest-moving and fiercest competitions in ALL of the tech industry! It kinda plays out as it goes, and is rarely ever predictable.

Back