When does Next-Gen stop being Next?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
People are still talking about next-gen, but XB360 is out here and now, meaning it's current gen. When does next-gen become the norm and we talk about next-gen in terms of XB4000, PS4 and Nintendo Contortion?

Shifty Geezer said:
People are still talking about next-gen, but XB360 is out here and now, meaning it's current gen. When does next-gen become the norm and we talk about next-gen in terms of XB4000, PS4 and Nintendo Contortion?

Next is not next anymore when it's current when a new next comes up then this next will be current and next will be next and when the next next becomes current this next which became current will become old

full stop and commas to be used sparingly and arbitrarily

Well, all I know is that Next gen (360, PS3 and Rev being current Gen) will only begin when Sega Sammy says so....

>.>

Next-gen is officially "current" when current-gen software and hardware sales start grinding to a halt, and development studios make the next-gen consoles their top priority, i.e. when no one cares about PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube anymore (OK, no one's cared about Gamecube for quite a while). There's still too much PS2 and Xbox development going on right now, and too many Xbox 360 games are enhanced Xbox games.

Shifty Geezer said:

I should think they stop being next gen, when all 3 machines are out.

Shifty Geezer said:

When majority of software development is focused on the PS3/X360/Rev. Also when the H/W & Software sales reflect the transition.

technically yeah, xbox360 is current gen now. but you probably wont stop hearing next gen until all 3 are out, and maybe a little while longer.

Bad_Boy said:
technically yeah, xbox360 is current gen now. but you probably wont stop hearing next gen until all 3 are out, and maybe a little while longer.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter I have installed software on my brain, which automatically changes the images that I see to correct form, so if one calles PS2 this gen, I see it as PS2 last gen, and it only uses 3.42% of 1 core of my brain...

this thread is a little on the silly side, it's obvious that next gen started with the 360 and now that it is here, next gen wont be until ps4, 720, etc

next-gen stops being next-gen once PlayStation3 and Revolution are out in your territory.

IMO, that also means the Xbox 360 is now current-gen - so next-gen as far as Xbox is concerned would mean a third-gen Xbox that we won't see until sometime between 2009 and 2011.

btw, last-gen started on November 27, 1998 when Dreamcast launched in Japan ^__^

Magnum PI said:
next gen will be current gen when ps3 will be out

lol, that's a little hyocritical of you no?

Either it starts with the first system released, or it starts when all the systems aer released. You're position is just fanbo-yism.

IMO next gen is here, that old jaggy 480p crap is last gen. But, as each new system has launched, all the games will run the "is it truly next-gen" gauntlet, so there will still be next-gen talk until months after all 3 consoles have launched.

Back