When does Battery on PSP peak and..

Starts to go downward. Havent really checked upp how many times you can charge the battery but after 2-3 loads with battery totally empty i think the battery has stayed the same for all the rest of the times.
Anyway how many good loads is the battery "rated" for? Thought i precise it to last untill a new 2600(?) batt comes... :)

It goes downward the second you start using it.

In fact, Li-Ion starts getting worse as soon as it's been made. You can't buy multiple Li-Ion batteries at the same time to avoid the recharge problem - they'll all stuff up.

Anyway, don't know how many charges it's rated for, but mine's still going strong, almost a year on.

Li-ion batteries last longer ie preserve their capacity over time if they are charged while the battery still has at least 40% charge. Draining them allmost completely before a recharge decreases their life expectancy and capacity faster.

Ok, not optimal to run it out then. Around 40% also okok.. Have their not been any progress in this tech yet.. A 20% higher battery isnt much but it maybe takes awhile.

overclocked said:
Ok, not optimal to run it out then. Around 40% also okok.. Have their not been any progress in this tech yet.. A 20% higher battery isnt much but it maybe takes awhile.

Yes Li-ion like partial charges, however, after every 30 partial charges you'll need to do a full discharge/recharge to reset the internal "fuel meter" otherwise your PSP's battery gauge will be off.

Now i get the picture a little better, so they have a 2-3years life but we are waiting on fuel-cells according to the article linked by mech(thanks btw).

So i wonder it is this fuel-cells Sony are on about for PSP and Laptops and not LI-ion tech.
I think(?) the new battery from Sony is exact the measure/weight of the 1800 standard one so some progress is done atleast. A 2600 battery would be a big improvement from 1800 if they countinue in 400 steeps.And yes thinking of 333Mhz here:)

The internal "fuel meter" has nothing to do with fuel cells. It's just a visual description of the circuitry inside of Li-on batteries. The internal "fuel meter" inside the battery is what tells your PSP or electronic device how much charge is left inside the battery. If the battery tells the PSP that it has 20% charge even though the actual charge remaining is 50%, the PSP will tell YOU that it has 20% charger left. That's why you need to discharge the battery every 30 charge cycles to recalibrate the "fuel meter" inside the battery. Fuel cells usually refer to liquid methanol based energy cells. It's like a liquid gas tank used to power electronic devices.

Yes Li-on batteries slowly lose their capacity once they leave the manufacturing facility so even if a battery has never been used but has been sitting on the shelf in the warehouse for a couple of years, its capacity would be reduced. However they don't lose ALL of their capacity just by sitting on the shelf for a couple years. Of course this phenomenon is not exclusive to Li-on, it happens to even alkalines that's why they have expiration dates on them now. These expiration dates do not imply that they'll be dead after that date. The dates simply mean the capacity will be reduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
The internal "fuel meter" has nothing to do with fuel cells. It's just a visual description of the circuitry inside of Li-on batteries.

Yeah i got that i was refering to alternative technologies like you mentioned with methanol etz.

You seem to know quite much about battery tech so could you tell me the progress on Li-ion that Sony did with 1800(first) and november(?)05 a 2200 one.
By dumb logic they will release +400 batterys once every year or what? Its that im interested about. I wouldnt care if it werent for the possible 333MHz update but its rather intruging anyway. :)

I think the new battery is using a tin based anode. It also probaby has some structural changes ie fewer and simpler parts to allow more space for a larger cell.

http://www.physorg.com/news3061.html

Here's an article on the future of Li-ion.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6288029.html?ref=nbsa

Also I just wanted to add that if the voltage in Li-ion batteries fall below a certain level from either being left in storage too long or being discharged too much, it will become useless as it will not be rechargeable thereafter. This is a built-in safety mechanism inside the battery. This issue is separate from the issue I mentioned previously, which is the charge carrying capacity of the battery decreasing over time.

NANOTEC said:
I think the new battery is using a tin based anode. It also probaby has some structural changes ie fewer and simpler parts to allow more space for a larger cell.

http://www.physorg.com/news3061.html

Here's an article on the future of Li-ion.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6288029.html?ref=nbsa

Also I just wanted to add that if the voltage in Li-ion batteries fall below a certain level from either being left in storage too long or being discharged too much, it will become useless as it will not be rechargeable thereafter. This is a built-in safety mechanism inside the battery. This issue is separate from the issue I mentioned previously, which is the charge carrying capacity of the battery decreasing over time.

Very interesting, thanks alot! Still reading..

About being left in storage how long periods are we talking about? And regarding the decrease in capacity over time how many charges 200-300??
Anyway very informative reading!

overclocked said:
Very interesting, thanks alot! Still reading..

About being left in storage how long periods are we talking about? And regarding the decrease in capacity over time how many charges 200-300??
Anyway very informative reading!

That I don't know, but it's longer than 2-3 years depending on the amount of charge it contained before going into storage. It's a catch 22 though because it's better to store these batteries with only 40% charge in them instead of a full 100% charge. However at only 40% charge, it'll reach that lower voltage "no turning back" cutoff sooner than if it had 100% charge to begin with.

Li-ion generally have a halflife of 1000 charge cycles so after 1000 charges it loses 50% of it charge carrying capacity. Other factors will subtract from this like high operating temperatures, too many full discharges and how long the battery sat before being used. Li-ion batteries do not like heat, but sometimes this is difficult to avoid in deviceas like laptops where the underside of the computer gets pretty hot and the battery being mounted near the heat source. On my laptop, the battery sits underneath the HDD, luckily my HDD doesn't get hot, however the underside of the computer gets very hot so I absolutely avoid placing my computer where airflow underneath it is obstructed.

Ok, now i know what i need to. I was still thinking of rechargs batterys from the POV when i got my first RC when i was 6-7..´That was 18 years ago so i was in need of this 2 decades uppdate to say the least :)

overclocked said:
Ok, now i know what i need to. I was still thinking of rechargs batterys from the POV when i got my first RC when i was 6-7..´That was 18 years ago so i was in need of this 2 decades uppdate to say the least :)

RC cars back in those days used Ni-Cd which DO need to be discharged completely after each use to minimize memory effect.

Yeah remember that, in age 10-12 when i got a "real" rc-car so to say and actually understood how to read the english manual. Ahh the childhood, sure do miss it!

Back