What's the best UK PC gaming mag?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by sir doris, Jan 27, 2006.

1. sir doris

Regular

I've been out of the PC gaming sceen for a while as my PC hasn't been up to playing the latest games. I've just played the major releases such as HL2 and Doom3 (although I gave up on that as it really struggles on my system).

I've kept in touch through the web, but as i'm in the process of upgrading I want to start getting into PC gaming a bit more. So which is the best PC gaming mag? I used to read PC Zone many years ago (1990-1998ish?).

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Probably PC Zone and PCGamer, but you'll find they'll be telling about everything you previously read on the web two months before. This is pretty much why I gave up on the magazines - they are quite expensive for telling you old news.

Even review/preview of games and hardware will be more limited in paper magazines because they have less pages to fit the content than a website can use. Even the advantage they once had of the converdisc has been eroded to nothing if you have broadband.

3. sir doris

Regular

It's just I prefer to read print than the PC, I spend all day using a PC and I also read a couple of forums and it's nice to give my eyes a rest :D Also I thought print magazines have better other bits of previews etc which I seem to miss on the web. But you're right about the price, a lot of money for old news.

So the next question is which online sites do you recommend?

I sometime take a look at 1up.com and read through what people have to say in beyond3d's gaming forum. Also gamerankings.com is great if I'm already interested in a game, but where is best to find out about new games etc?

4. Diplo

Veteran

Why buy print mags if you have an internet connection?

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

6. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

can we get UK pc gaming mags subscriptions in the states? is there a website i can visit?

i used to like UK biker mags, but bought them at newstands

i wanna make sure im not missing out on european titles.

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yes, most of the magazines do international subs. Just google on the magazine's name and "subscription" and you tend to find what you need. Be aware there are two PC Gamer magazines - one in the US and one in the UK, and they are fairly different.

Try here - they do international subs on these including PC Gamer UK and PC Zone.

#7 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Jan 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006
  8. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

pc gamer uk....cool. same games different reviewers?

or even better, different games?

i get pc gamer us...i just dropped computer gaming (just in time...they ran a jesus gamers league article in my last issue)

9. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

I like Edge, but its not PC only

10. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Yeah, I kind of like Edge too. Expensive, but if I'm going out to have a bite or go on a trip, I sometimes pick up a copy. They often have articles you simply don't get on websites, so it's worth the occasional expense IMO.

11. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Different everything. Much more irreverent, but well known for reviewing unfinished betas as world exclusives, and then getting caught out when all the bugs that the publishers promised would be fixed for release are then shipped to customers a couple of months later.

IIRC, both PC Gamer and PCZone have their own websites if you want to get a taste of their style, so if you google them, I'm sure you can find them.

12. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's very polished, glossy kind of industry magazine covering all formats. Very pretty, but quite expensive for not a lot of content and no disc on the front.

13. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

are there ANY good PC gaming mags? I havent seen one for years. they usally get it wrong, late and have too much sophmore BS. I guess if i was in highschool....

14. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Cover discs are overrated. They just end up in the trash anyway.

15. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

That's the case now we all have broadband, but a few years back when we were all on dial-up modems, it was the only way to get your big game demos, large game patches, preview game movies, etc, and it justified the relatively high price of a gaming publication.

I don't think twice about downloading a 500 mb demo today, but it wasn't that long ago the magazines were the only conduit for that kind of marketing via their discs. It's another one of those things that broadband has erroded away from power the magazines used to have.

16. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

so by your own admission your point about Edge is irrelevant.

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

As much as it is for all magazines. Edge costs the same as other magazines, but doesn't provide a disc where other magazines do. The disc is used to justify the high price of most magazines, but what justifies Edge's high price? There's ususally less content in Edge than say PC Gamer or PC Zone, and it's multi-format, so if you're interested in PC games only, Edge is particularly bad value. It does use very thick glossy paper though, if you think that's worth paying extra for.

#17 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2006
  18. Snyder

Regular

QFT. Most gaming magazines have become redundant for me, because you can get everything they cover, i.e. news, previews, reviews etc. in ye olde 'net faster and for free.
    Edge is one of the few mags where the articles which go beyond that standard stuff make the value of it.

19. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

BZB, Guden and Snyder have more than amply answered the question. There is far more content in Edge than just 'reviews' and I'm a multi-format kind of guy, which is one caveat I already posted.

I havnet bought PCZ or PCG for years, I prefer to access earlier, more accurate net reviews amd forum reviews. Edge writes about the whole industry - not just reviews.

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

There are websites that provide similar industry content in advance of print publications. For instance Gameindustry is one of them.