What's the best set of drivers for a GeForce 2 MX 400?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by I.S.T., Nov 8, 2007.

1. I.S.T.

Veteran

>.> Stuck on a slowwwwwwwwwwwwww card for the time being(Will be upgrading fairly soon, but only to a 6200.). I figured I might as well try to optimize the speed of the thing...

Also, is there a guide online that lists what all of the advanced registry options in Rivatuner actually do? I'd Google it myself, but to be perfectly frank, Google seems to hate me.

2. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

lol What games can you possibly play with a mx400? I would find out when the card was released and then start searching through guru3ds database until you find a driver from that time period and go with that, although it probably doesn't really matter, you'd only gain a few percentages in old old games at the most. As for the riva tuner stuff no idea. You really need something waaaaay better than a mx400 to play any games whatsoever.

3. I.S.T.

Veteran

Most of the games I'm interested in on the PC came out around 2000-2002, certainly within the GF2MX's range for the most part.

4. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Ah k well yeah go with a old set of drivers from that time period, it will probably offer the best performance for your purposes. As for the tweaking, not so sure, although I doubt any registry tweaks will have sort of significant impact on performance. Better off seeing how high you can oc the thing hehe

5. anaqer

Veteran

I used the super-old 8.05 Detonator under W9x for the longest time... for XP, you should probably seek in the Det 20 series though.

6. I.S.T.

Veteran

I do have it OCed, but I haven't tested how much of a speed increase it gets. the PC it's in is currently down due to a dead power supply.

The Rivatuner thing is more for future reference, as I plan on getting a 6200.

Det 20 series? I'll check that out, thanks.

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I'd use something like 43.45. the reason behind it, well I don't like very ancient drivers and they won't hurt much. nothing scientific.
    yes the card sucks but you can have some 100fps counterstrike gaming (at least 1.5, 1.6 might be good with a relatively fast CPU. damn I hated how steam slashed my fps by a factor of two when I had duron 700 + voodoo5)

the PC I'm typing this on has a gf2MX (non MX400 I think) and a XP 2800+. warcraft 3 runs very well (through wine).

8. I.S.T.

Veteran

It's got 44.03 on it right now. However, I'm pretty sure i did something stupid and semi-borked the driver. It works fine, but I got confused by WFP protection(Hadn't heard of it before... Damn, I can behind the times.) and permanently altered some things with the patch scripts that I probably shouldn't have.

off topic, but how well would Morrowind run on a 6200? I'm sure I can run it at max in game settings, but I'm curious as to what levels of AA/AF I can put on it, if any.

9. _xxx_

Banned

Truck drivers driving over it.

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

at least it's not a MX200 or some radeon 7000 crap.

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I have a pair of MX200s that just make wonderful 2D cards. Passively cooled, crystal clear (kid you not), and quick. :)