What's maximum texture size that PSP can handle ?

NonNative

Newcomer
I'm just curious becuase of when I try new game "Ridge Racer 2" and texture on the car looks really low resolution.

I'm not a PSP hardware guru, but I doubt it's a problem of maximum texture resolution. In fact, I'd wager the max resolution available on the PSP platform is something probably around the 4mpx mark (2048x2048)...

The real issue would be how many textures you can simultaneously keep in the limited amount of video and system memory. Streaming from raw media is an option, surely, but with obvious drawbacks. For obvious performance reasons, all textures onscreen (and quite a few offscreen) need to be held in main memory and ready to raster within 33ms.

I'm not a PSP hardware guru, but I doubt it's a problem of maximum texture resolution. In fact, I'd wager the max resolution available on the PSP platform is something probably around the 4mpx mark (2048x2048)...

The real issue would be how many textures you can simultaneously keep in the limited amount of video and system memory. Streaming from raw media is an option, surely, but with obvious drawbacks. For obvious performance reasons, all textures onscreen (and quite a few offscreen) need to be held in main memory and ready to raster within 33ms.

The "real" issue is a lot smaller than that. It's the size of the texture cache. You want the game to run over 5-6 fps then the majority of your textures better fit in it (not all at once though :) )

Back