whats happened to beyond3d.com

navanman

Newcomer
clicked my bookmark for beyond3d.com
and now im being directed to some website saying some shite like:

Welcome to the webiste of www.beyond3d.com

This page is a place holder for the home page of your own web site.

i thought the dns probs were sorted out or has site been hijacked.

We appear to be hosted by a bunch of *!"!Q£% $"$£$$"£$%!!!! Grrrr!
:devilish: :rolleyes:

Sorry!

Gawd knows whats happening. I don't know what the problem with the beyond3d.com because everything seems fine here, however the .net is explainable, although not particularily great on our hosts behalf.

Since the site has been up we have been on a host in the Netherlands - digitalus.nl. Since we've been with them their servers have been particularily flakey and we've had lots of downtime - we naturally bitched about this and they aggreed to move us to a new server (which would be companyserver.nl). However I asked to put off the move because there were still hassles with out DNS, and seeing as the long URL and browse.to addresses were they only way of finding us I didn't want the long URL to change because nobdy would find us again.

Well, now we finally have the DNS fixed they decided to move us to the new server on Friday (without telling us I might add) - rather than just moving us cleanly they managed to take 5 hours over it because of some 'issues' (gawd knows what they were); I blew my top over 5 hours of downtime and asked Marco to ask them to resolve it ASAP. Within about 30mins of Marco contacting them we were back up and running again - but on the old server.

It would seem that they have managed to transfer some bits to the newserver, but not all. Sometimes I wonder what the hell we are paying for. :(

DaveBaumann said:
It would seem that they have managed to transfer some bits to the newserver, but not all. Sometimes I wonder what the hell we are paying for. :(

Ahh you are paying for "service", however that's the verb "to service" as in "what the stud bull does when it services the cow".

Hmm, whenever I try and access the B3D forum index page I get this error which says:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Although I can read the each of the individual forums OK (otherwise I wouldn't be able to post this), I can't see the index page! Is it just me or is this another problem?

Simon,

Ahh you are paying for "service", however that's the verb "to service" as in "what the stud bull does when it services the cow".

Yes, it does appear to be something like that!

Bystander,

Exactly how are you accessing B3D?

Hmm, just noticed something else about using the www.beyond3d.com URL, the pictures for the options at the top of the screen don't load. I.e. FAQ, Search, Memberlist, etc all don't have any pictures next to them.

I was getting the same DB critical error.

The only way to get around it was to access my old favourite to get to beyond3d (using www.beyond3d.com or .net doesn't work) and then manually typing, "forum/" before index.php. That allowed me to get to these forums.

I live in Canada.

You'll have to bear with it a while.

I think what has happened is that the server company has actually moved us to the new server, but to do this a DNS change has had to be submitted which is gradually propogating now. But, this leaves us in two place right now.

Sooner or later if you go through one of the correct URLS (beyond3d.com/.net) you should see the following message on the main page:

Sorry we are currently moving to another server, all our sources are already located on the new server, but our database needs to be moved. This will be done in the next 48 hours.
Marco

This is the new site location, but the database exists on the old server still.

If you are having issues accessing Beyond3D the please see this post concerning our current hosting state.

If it becomes necessary then we may need to move hosts. The problem that we have is that we are not popular/well known enough to generate revenue from direct advertising (and we haven't seen a single payment from our current ad agency) but we are popular enough to cause issue with our hosts because of the bandwidth and CPU usage that we generate.

So, if we do move hosts then we are looking for ideas, if you have any then please post them in the thread above. We can afford some server hosts, but not a great deal as we are just not generating any money at the moment - so above $50 per month is going to be a no-go; it also seems we are using about 20-30GB of bandwidth per month. If we can find a cheap co-location option then I'd be keen to do that although we have to scrape together enough cash to be able to buy the necessary parts.

Back