What's a good non-smart phone? (with a few audio features)

I am in need of a good one. I can't use the dumbphone I had been given, because the charger has fried. (now back to a terrible and ugly turd I had years ago - bad color screen, sloow, drops connection)
It had a nice form factor, good phonecall quality, very funny display - monochrome with an actual wallpaper :) but bad keyboard and not even a wap browser.
http://www.sagem.com/mobiles/index.php?id=05&prod=9

So I wish to find a similar but better quality phone, without extraneous features. But I want extremely useful and basic ones (some of them you won't find on some smartphones), so the lowest end models don't qualify :

- no webcam
- universal charger (mini USB)
- a headphone jack!
- mp3, ogg, aac, wma, flac playback
- internal flash + SD slot
- acts as USB mass storage when plugged on a computer
- FM radio
( cheap music players from China have those. why not a phone?)
- a crappy wap browser to check train schedules once in a year or whatever
- maybe acts as gprs modem for a netbook or laptop
- monochrome OLED screen, orange. that would look cool!
- feels fast in menus!
- a few very crude games (breakout, snake, tetris, space invaders..) without lag. maybe a chess game :).

I'd like to keep that phone as long as I can. I'm shocked by the current market, people changing phones yearly and throwing away tons of crap, semi-broken phones, obsolete chargers, never used ear buds etc. What a waste of resources! People are dying in Congo for the mining to build all that crap.
I wish for high quality, low price (50€?), low specs phones such as my wish list. I hope universal batteries come, after universal chargers ;).

Is there a chinese make that does such a phone?
The major vendors aren't willing to build a great low end phone, their either shovel all the shiny features I don't want (I'm tired of ugly color displays and webcams) or sell a phone with no feature at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
- no webcam
- universal charger (mini USB)
- a headphone jack!
- mp3, ogg, aac, wma, flac playback
- internal flash + SD slot
- acts as USB mass storage when plugged on a computer
- FM radio
( cheap music players from China have those. why not a phone?)
- a crappy wap browser to check train schedules once in a year or whatever
- maybe acts as gprs modem for a netbook or laptop
- monochrome OLED screen, orange. that would look cool!
- feels fast in menus!
- a few very crude games (breakout, snake, tetris, space invaders..) without lag. maybe a chess game :).

Sounds a lot like the rather worn out Nokia 6130i I've been using for the last 5 years. It does have a camera and colour display though (what do you have against that?), and of course the connections are of a proprietary format (which is absolutely not a problem around here, since any given room you walk to in Finland is likely to contain a Nokia-compatible charger anyway...). And it probably does not support ogg or flac (and possibly not wma either, MP3 and AAC do work).

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...s-You-Go-Mobile-Phone/Product.html?P36=F29CHR

VGA Camera - 640 x 480 pixels
65K Colour Screen
FM Radio
Ringtones - Polyphonic, MP3
10 MB internal memory
Data GPRS Class 8
EDGE Class 32, 296 kbps
DTM Class 11, 236.8 kbps
Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML
Bluetooth - V2.0, A2DP
USB v2.0
Vibration Alert
Built-in Handsfree
Organizer
Calculator
Size Dimensions 128 x 45 x 73 mm, 90 cc
Stand-by: Up to 250 h
Talk time: Up to 7 h 30 min

Color and cam aren't necessarily show stoppers, I only hate every piece of marketing about cell phones. I remember how ridiculous and annoying it was when color screens were new and something to show off.
Salesman and ads hyping to death crippled devices slower than a 1989 game boy. I was turned off and thought these people have no basic respect for their customers. "Pay, so you can pay even more by downloading crappy images and sending them"

but, enough ranting :).
is your phone the 6310i or 6130i? either way it isn't on nokia's site which makes it hard to know the details.
mp3 playback would be very fine (I was overzealous). Proprietary charger is bearable on an older phone (next year they will be forbidden on new phones). On the other hand I will never accept proprietary audio and proprietary USB :p

thanks for that motorola tahir, looks good value (but no SD card and music playback). it even has the sane USB storage function, and mp3 playback but presumably for ringtones only. It's hard to know about the connectors though, even from the manual, so I presume they are proprietary.
It comes close.

is your phone the 6310i or 6130i? either way it isn't on nokia's site which makes it hard to know the details.
mp3 playback would be very fine (I was overzealous). Proprietary charger is bearable on an older phone (next year they will be forbidden on new phones). On the other hand I will never accept proprietary audio and proprietary USB :p

It's 6130i, and you won't find a 5-year old phone from Nokia web site or retailers - you could probably get a used one practically for free, though... But my point was that the features you requested were pretty mainstream 5 years ago already. Except for the non-proprietary connections, which are only now starting to arrive, and you'll have to buy newer (and more expensive) models to get them. At least the Nokia 5130 XpressMusic has those.

Back