Whats a good IPS 22-24" LCD?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I was just wondering because I friend asked me and quite frankly im not sure aside from perhaps Dell UltraSharp U2410 which is about the only good one I could think of. Are there any good IPS monitors out there similar to the Dell?

She wants a good monitor which has good colour reproduction because she is growing tired of buying things over the internet and having them show up a completely different colour to the one she was expecting.

It has to be well calibrated out of the box because I have no clue as to how to do it.

dell would be great. Set up a friend with 3 of them for eyeinfinty. They also have a 22 inch ips . Samsung has some really nice ones but are more expensive typicaly a $150-$200 higher cost than the similar dell ones

dell would be great. Set up a friend with 3 of them for eyeinfinty. They also have a 22 inch ips . Samsung has some really nice ones but are more expensive typicaly a $150-$200 higher cost than the similar dell ones

Do they? Are they as good from a colour perspective?

Sanity here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Big tip: if she wants a monitor that a semi-serious person who does colour printing wants to be able to use without any hassle, then buy a monitor that has an sRGB preset mode. Do NOT buy a monitor that has an extended gamut and does not have an sRGB mode. Monitors advertised as "nearly 100% of NTSC" or "native Adobe RGB" can be a real head-fuck for people who don't fully grok profiles and calibration, particularly when these monitors don't offer an sRGB mode.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18996

Note that TFT Central is very keen to highlight this particular issue. It's also worth noting that most monitors these days do have an sRGB mode.

A photographer that does their own printing and is prepared to invest in a calibration device should be OK with a large-gamut monitor.

If she's not a photographer then she should unquestionably go for something that's sRGB, preferably default.

Jawed

The reasons for the monitor are:

1. Buying clothes from overseas over the internet.

2. Looking at pictures quite frequently.

The 2nd useage pattern would be fine for a decent TN but the first is the reason why im looking for a new monitor for her. The reason is that she buys clothes and the clothes don't match what she saw on her monitor, so she wants to at least make sure the colour reproduction on her end is good. So what would be good for that? The Dell? Or is that overkill?

A monitor that has been reviewed well in its default sRGB mode should be fine. I doubt the expense of IPS is worth it for her. Modern monitors seem to be pretty good at their defaults.

She may have a system configuration problem, though Windows (if that's what she's using) is fundamentally sRGB.

There's a possibility that someone has fiddled with the video card colour settings and that's what's causing problems.

Is her existing monitor really so grotty? Or just badly setup? If its really old then I suppose it could be a poor match for sRGB.

Her monitor might have the wrong colour temperature setting, e.g. 5500K (which will make everything on screen look yellowish) or 7000K or higher (which will be bluish). 6500K is the correct setting for sRGB.

Is she at all specific about the colour problem? Have you seen her existing monitor? Have you compared the clothes to the images of the clothes the monitor shows?

Colours are never going to match perfectly anyway (light reflecting off clothes and light emitted by a monitor are physically quite different processes) and clothes dyes/materials are hardly consistent.

Aye, trying to match the color of clothing over the internet is going to be difficult no matter how good the monitor (although one that is badly calibrated is only going to exaggerate the differences). As you'll never (or at least extremely unlikely) be able to exactly match the lighting conditions under which the photograph was taken. That's one reason I definitely still prefer buying cloths in person rather than over the internet when possible. And that's even with the consideration that I'm a fair bit red/green color blind. :D

If she's trying to exactly match the colors for different outfits, it's going to be almost impossible to do over the internet, IMO.

Regards,
SB

The HP ZR24W looks like a good one, its also half the price of the Dell and TFT central claims it has better sRGB support as a bonus.

Would she be better off if I upgraded her to an HD 5450 at the same time?

The HP ZR24W looks like a good one, its also half the price of the Dell and TFT central claims it has better sRGB support as a bonus.
I'm still wary that the IPS price premium is problematic - though the HP looks like a safe choice. I don't have a real world opinion to offer on the margin between a monitor like the HP and the best of current TN panels (or variants).

Would she be better off if I upgraded her to an HD 5450 at the same time?
Seems unlikely. Why do you suggest that? What is her current graphics setup?

I'm still wary that the IPS price premium is problematic - though the HP looks like a safe choice. I don't have a real world opinion to offer on the margin between a monitor like the HP and the best of current TN panels (or variants).
I have that monitor. I went from an LG TN panel to the HP ZR24W and the difference is startling. It's nice to look at a screen on which the same color doesn't look completely different depending on whether it's located at the center, the upper third or the lower third of the screen.

That being said, the HP suffers from a rather pathetic contrast ratio and the weird silver haze or shimmer effect that you get with IPS panels, frankly, sucks ass - especially when gaming. I find it sometimes hard to see anything in dark areas in games.

Still, even if the HP ZR24W used me as its butt bitch twice a day - it would still be preferable to going back to TN.

The price premium on this monitor isn't significantly high at all.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?j=383251,441869,580584

Its 85% more expensive, but her useage model is 50% look at pictures over the internet and 50% text input and putting it into portrait mode for that could be useful as well. It seems that an IPS panel would suit that pattern better.

Seems unlikely. Why do you suggest that? What is her current graphics setup?

HD 4xxx integrated graphics. Don't the new HD 5xxx cards also accelerate youtube or am I mistaken?

Seems likely to have problems, but it's also not ancient so shouldn't be terrible. Before spending money on a new monitor I think it'd be prudent to make sure that control panel settings in the graphics driver, at the very least, are "neutral".

The monitor settings are default.

I went from a Viewsonic 20" IPS monitor to a low end 24" Dell with TN panel - the difference was pronounced and after a short while I regretted the purchase.

From there went to a Benq G2420HDBL, with LED backlight and very impressed - it is still a TN panel but seems like a much better quality panel has been used by Benq - even losing resolution (1080p from 1200p) I would say the Benq is night and day the better monitor.

It also has an sRGB mode if you are interested.

Well, there was like a 30% off sale and that HP zr24 or whatever (hate codenames) cost as much as a TN panel display so I got her to snap one up asap. It arrived (same day shipping?!) and I set it up and shes completely happy with it. From what I can tell shes spent the last 3 or 4 hours looking at flowers... :p

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back