What's a good current X360 game, or when is the next great game coming?

I got a couple of games for Christmas... Splinter Cell something for the 360 (from the wife), and several Xbox games from my parents who really don't know anything at all about consoles (well, my wife at least told them about the Xbox part! hah!).

Haven't opened them - was considering what I might trade them in for (Splinter Cell just doesn't seem interesting to me, I'm a little burned out on FPS right now after a ten year UT brawl). GoW was great - one of the best I've ever played - but Lost Planet seem, for now, like too much of the same. Yeah, different graphical style, different monsters and such, but same basic gameplay. I had PDZero as a launch game and never played more than an hour of it.

Most sports games don't hold much of my attention, other than TW golf, and I've considered getting the 07 version. Beyond that, I love PGR3, and I really enjoyed Kameo at launch... played the heck out of it.

What is out there now or on the near horizon that is something a bit "different?" I was a big StarTrek fan but always thought playing a ST game was a bit too, erm, nerdy or something. Is the new one worth checking into? I never got into the whole role playing thing, but OTOH first person shooters with different characters/weapons/environments/dumb plot is something I need a break from. I guess I'm looking for something in that middle ground: action but not FPS, strategy more than mystery. Oh, and if there is a chance that the wife might actually like it that is a plus (she enjoyed TWgolf until I started winning all the time, or having to obviously lose, so that's a plus for the 07 version).

Any good air/space fighters? FNR3 demo seemed pretty fun, but I'm afraid it will get too repetitious.

Bah, I must seem like the uber-game-screwge! :) Stuff like BioShock, MassEffect, and TooHuman seems interesting to me, and by the time they are released I'll probably be over my GoW/FPS hiatus. Can't wait for Forza2, but that's a while out.

Suggestions?

You must get Lost Planet, the game is just oozing with greatness. Rainbow 6 Vegas is awesome too. If you like a different type of game, then try Viva Pinata. Also, Crackdown is just around the corner, just go download the demos and try them out.

I dl'ed the Lost Planet demo sometime ago and it smelled like graphical masterpiece wrapped around old theme. I think since I wasn't really a console gamer last gen, I'm not stuck in the mindset of "wow, shiny graphics, must get this game!"

That isn't meant to be an insult... I definitely fell into that trap for the PC. UT was awesome, and I couldn't wait to get UT2003... and was utterly dissapointed. Same with the next one.

So now I'm wanting more than graphics. I just want a game that is FUN!

I'll definitely check out Viva Pinata... that one didn't cross my mind, but now that you mention it I recall hearing lots of praise for it. DL'ing it now.

Crackdown? Have to go read about that one.

Thanks.

Anyone else?

Here's a thought... since I don't even really know what kind of games I enjoy the most, let me just list my all-time favorites through the ages (in no particular order) and perhaps you guys can help me sort out what kinds of things to keep an eye out for:

Frontline (coleco)
Thexder (PC, many moons ago)
UT (PC, was addicted for years, low-grav CTF yeah baby!)
Racing (in general... starting with coleco, then PC, now PGR3)
Playbale demo of Parsec (PC) was uber cool, too bad it died
Kameo was surprisingly fun, but no desire to repeat
Mega Man 3 (NES?)
NHL Hockey (Sega, 1994ish?)
Oregon Trail (hah, couldn't resist!)
Twisted Metal 2 (PS1, ah that one was endless fun)

I dl'ed the Lost Planet demo sometime ago and it smelled like graphical masterpiece wrapped around old theme. I think since I wasn't really a console gamer last gen, I'm not stuck in the mindset of "wow, shiny graphics, must get this game!"

That isn't meant to be an insult... I definitely fell into that trap for the PC. UT was awesome, and I couldn't wait to get UT2003... and was utterly dissapointed. Same with the next one.

So now I'm wanting more than graphics. I just want a game that is FUN!

I'll definitely check out Viva Pinata... that one didn't cross my mind, but now that you mention it I recall hearing lots of praise for it. DL'ing it now.

Crackdown? Have to go read about that one.

Thanks.

Anyone else?

I hear your concerns about LP, it's arcadey and not much strategy at least for the single player. However, it's a game I can pick up and just get into it and blast away. The online MP component does have strategy to it and the gameplay just so much fun when you have masses of mechs jumping/flying around and guys running all over trying to blast/avoid them. It's seriously good fun but I suggest renting it first if you have doubts.

Crackdown is a game that's really taken me by surprise. I don't usually go for the sandbox/GTA-like games however this game is a BLAST especially online co-op. R6:Vegas is the same online co-op with 3 other friends esp if you like strategy.

Also check out the GRAW2 thread for some info/vids... definitely on the must watch list.

I'll repeat the call for Crackdown. Download the demo. I've heard it should be up for everyone today, though no threats on my life if it isn't. I'll also say: Pick a category besides firearms and get it up to 4 stars. You'll know the game isn't for you if one of them doesn't hook you. Personally, I love all of it to one extent or another: Beautiful explosions are awesome, but just racing along the freeway is cool as well, and should be even better when all the islands are open. Building-climbing with a fully tricked-out SUV is just hilarious. And of course, pumping up your agility and leaping from rooftop to rooftop is hard to beat. Others may love kicking cars around, making guys fly 20 feet in a given direction, killing bad guys with large heavy objects, etc.

Condemned: CO might be what you're looking for. GRAW / Dead Rising might also be worth checking out.

Right now, I'm playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance : it's a pretty fun hack&slash with comic heroes and a light RPG element.

My next anticipated purchase is Crackdown, the demo is insanely fun.

Did you check the XBox 1 BC titles ? Ninja Gaiden Black looks pretty good on the 360, and so do DOA Ultimate and DOA3. KOTOR might be worth checking too.

What is out there now or on the near horizon that is something a bit "different?"
"Overlord" is one that has caught my attention in a preview in a magazine - evidently its done by Terry Pratchetts daughter. Given the style of game, and the way it sounds like it plays, I'm hoping that this is some way towards the modern day spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper 2.

Most sports games don't hold much of my attention, other than TW golf, and I've considered getting the 07 version. Beyond that, I love PGR3, and I really enjoyed Kameo at launch... played the heck out of it.

If you like non-competitive driving games, consider Test drive unlimited. You will either love it or hate it.

Sure it's far from perfect, the physics are dodgy, it had the most cringe worth advertising campaign in history and the graphics go from down right stunning to utter garbage... But it's 1600km of road damnit! And the online side is superb.

It's a great game to just zone out and drive around for a while. Meet some random people and generally drive like a fool. It's basically a chat room, but with cars (and bikes :mrgreen:).

The demo is ok. And you can probably get it second hand for very cheap.

The longest race in the game is 1 hour, is just under 200km long, has heavy traffic and police. It's a single loop of the island. My first attempt I failed by 20 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like non-competitive driving games, consider Test drive unlimited. You will either love it or hate it.

Sure it's far from perfect, the physics are dodgy, it had the most cringe worth advertising campaign in history and the graphics go from down right stunning to utter garbage... But it's 1600km of road damnit! And the online side is superb.

It's a great game to just zone out and drive around for a while. Meet some random people and generally drive like a fool. It's basically a chat room, but with cars (and bikes :mrgreen:).

The demo is ok. And you can probably get it second hand for very cheap.

The longest race in the game is 1 hour, is just under 200km long, has heavy traffic and police. It's a single loop of the island. My first attempt I failed by 20 seconds.

Love that game, i've almost explored every road, and i've completed most races. I do like those long races, and there is actually 2 races of similar length, the Island tour, and Millionaires challenge. I echo your sentiments though, it is excellent for just chilling out. I loved just cruising the freeways, not even necessarily at a fast speed, i'm happy with 160 :LOL:, some of the scenery and the mountain passes where you can see for km into the distance are amazing

I would try:

Viva Pinata
Lost Planet
Crackdown - Feb
Bioshock - March
Forza 2 - May
Mass Effect - Q2
Too Human - Q2

That should keep you going for a few months ;)

BD,

Let me third Viva Pinata. I got a 360 for Christmas and with it I got Gears and Viva Pinata. I've played more Viva Pinata than Gears if that says anything. ;) The whole family is playing too. My wife and my 3 step-sons(12,14,16). My 12 year old is beating all of us. He usually plays it every day after school. It's definitely a different kind of game. Addicting and fun.

Tommy McClain

For some reason I had March in my head, it's always been a Q2 2007 title though, so probably more like May/June.

Game: BioShock (X360)
Release Date: Q2 2007
http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&qs=bioshock&x=49&y=7

Edit- According to 1up it's actually June.
I'll let you in on the official word on the release date: June 2007. Heard it here first.
viewicon.gif
View: Original Story @ 1Up

Well, I downloaded the Crackdown demo and was underwhelmed. I guess I just want to do something other than run around shooting and blowing up stuff. GoW, LostPlanet, Crackdown... different story, different look, different objective, but fundamentally the same style of gameplay.

Too bad the Viva Pinata download isn't a demo so much as a trailer. Looks really weird... I think I'm going to go get it this weekend. I think it has the potential to be a game the wife would enjoy, and my newborn son before the next generation is here I suppose!

Oh, and the Mass Effect trailer from the "best of 07" thread looks perfect. Can't wait for that one!

Back