What's A Decent Joystick These Days?

SugarCoat

Veteran
I broke my last one months ago and have been itching to play IL2 for quite awhile. Previously i was using a MS SideWinder Force Feedback which literally lasted something like 6 years. It did have a slight issue where it was always tweaking the rudder to the left but other then that it was very robust. It eventually died an unnatural death.

I dont really want to spend more then $60-80, also a couple things i'd like to have again is a slide wheel for throttle management and twist ability for rudder control, other then that its pretty much fair game. Would just need 2-3 buttons on the actual stick itself as well in addition to the trigger but i assume thats pretty standard these days.

Recommends anyone? Even a good brand to look into would help. I have a small hurtle in that i want it to have 64-bit driver support as well, so i may have to do some lookin.

I don't have a clue but I sure miss the joystick sometimes. it was great for xwing, descent and some other games, and today it's like its usage has been limited to flight sims for a while.

Saitek makes two great "budget" stick combinations in the X52 and X52 Pro but they are in the $130 and $200 range. I just use a basic Logitech for my needs (little) and you can twist the stick, switch to scale thrust, several buttons on stick several more on base, etc.

Saitek X52

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Logitech also makes the exact stick with force feedback for I think $40 more.

I have the Saitek Evo Force. It's a bit inaccurate at the centre but I guess it's ok for playing IL2 (I've been waiting for the game for a year at Amazon grr). Cool is the ability to control dead zones via the driver.
For fly by wire tech I use a mouse and self made pedals.
The better joysticks don't seem to have adjustable springs (my old Gravis had that). Maybe I'll mod a trackball someday. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
A decent joystick? Here.

/me unzips pants...

(C'mon, SOMEONE had to post it! :oops: )

That said, I still love Logitech for all input peripherals.

Considering the vast number of controls in IL-2, you really want a HOTAS setup like the X52.

The X52, unlike Saitek's cheaper models, uses Hall sensors for the main axes and has a good constant-force centering mechanism. No flopping, erratic nose when you're lining up that 109.

I don't use its twisty motion but it's there if you want it.

Stepping up from Saitek I'd pony up for CH stuff even if you have to buy just a stick at first and rudders/throttle later. Good sims are just no fun with shoddy sticks. CH sticks have at least a nominal throttle on the side, if I remember correctly. Nice thing about CH is they don't break -- even my ancient CH Force FX stick still works!

You can get a CH stick in your price range from one of several merchants. I bought my CH rudders from Provantage.

Considering the vast number of controls in IL-2, you really want a HOTAS setup like the X52.

The X52, unlike Saitek's cheaper models, uses Hall sensors for the main axes and has a good constant-force centering mechanism. No flopping, erratic nose when you're lining up that 109.

I don't use its twisty motion but it's there if you want it.

Stepping up from Saitek I'd pony up for CH stuff even if you have to buy just a stick at first and rudders/throttle later. Good sims are just no fun with shoddy sticks. CH sticks have at least a nominal throttle on the side, if I remember correctly. Nice thing about CH is they don't break -- even my ancient CH Force FX stick still works!

You can get a CH stick in your price range from one of several merchants. I bought my CH rudders from Provantage.

thanks for suggestion, checked into them and they look very solid, just ordered a CH Fighterstick ;). If they hold up to their reputation it will problably be the last joystick i'll ever buy since by the time the thing dies we'll have VR-wear for flight sims :LOL:

Back