What will next-gen games look like? [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-gen games: 4K/60fps + higher quality effects

Mid/late-gen games: 4K/60fps + much improved lighting, better assets/effects, bigger/more detailed worlds

Regardless of the technical marvels the nextgen will enable there will still be games that look like this and will still sell by the boatloads:

New-Super-Mario-Bros-U-Gameplay-2.jpg

Regardless of the technical marvels the nextgen will enable there will still be games that look like this and will still sell by the boatloads

It looks good for its genre. I have no problems with this kind of graphics if it is well appropriated for the game.

An example of very bad graphics in my book is something like Ark.

This already looks better than all of them except for the fluid dynamic fire in Deep Down and it's running on a Pro.
I expect this kind of visual as a baseline with first party titles looking considerably better.
watching this made me nauseous.

Regardless of the technical marvels the nextgen will enable there will still be games that look like this and will still sell by the boatloads:

New-Super-Mario-Bros-U-Gameplay-2.jpg
Yes, lets not forget Nintendo. Maybe they'll do the right thing next-gen:

Well in the case of Deep Down, not only were they doing real-time 3D fluid simulation for the fire, it was also using voxel cone tracing for its lighting. Other details like the area shadows are something we don't see this gen.

As for 1313, overall it's not that amazing, it's mostly really good design but the city views are defininitely something not achievable this gen. The BF games certainly don't look anywhere near as good. BF1 was downgraded from it's initial teaser. Polygon count, materials, lighting, particles, etc... all took a hit.

Edit: heh, I guess it's another for the thread. Next-gen Battlefront sure is gonna look nice:

cyN0G44h_o.jpeg

7O0CVJPT_o.jpeg
yrPkEMBG_o.jpeg

:LOL:

Is that screen in the forest how the game looks right now?

The graphic will deliver they kinda already do. I'm more interested in what they do with the extra CPU POWER:LOL:

The graphic will deliver they kinda already do. I'm more interested in what they do with the extra CPU POWER:LOL:
I am a little bit confused in this regard. GPGPU was all teh rage at the beginning of this gen. The CU's were supposed to assist in physics and achieve better results than what we used to get I thought.
But CPU was a huge bottleneck even though it was assumed the GPGPU fanctions were supposed to compensate for a weak CPU.

So what gives?

Looks amazing, video says only ps4 so assume its the base model. Very impressive graphics indeed, and 60 fps at it. Gotta try just for the graphics, see how my 670 holds up :)

Would be great to see something like DMM in next-gen games. Current games rigid bodies for pretty much everything but cloth and hair. Would be awesome to see soft body simulations used everywhere instead:

I am a little bit confused in this regard. GPGPU was all teh rage at the beginning of this gen. The CU's were supposed to assist in physics and achieve better results than what we used to get I thought.
But CPU was a huge bottleneck even though it was assumed the GPGPU fanctions were supposed to compensate for a weak CPU.

So what gives?
Same reason why devs target 30fps instead of 60fps: it's all about teh detailz for screenshots. Gameplay is not the priority.

So what gives?

Graphics sell. Everything else comes secondary to that (gameplay, physics, story, etc.) for many AAA developers unfortunately. You can't market those other things easily. Graphics is easy to market. Especially in still shots or advertisements which are often limited to 30 FPS.

That's one thing I have to hand to Sony even if some of their games aren't my cup of tea. While they focus on graphics, they also put a lot of focus on developing well crafted stories this generation. Last generation was hit or miss, IMO. For example, while almost everyone would agree that TLOU had a fantastic story and great character development, most weren't all that thrilled with the stories in GoW (original series), Resistance or Killzone (although they have their ardent fans as well! :))

Regards,
SB

SW BF2 impresses me more then HZD does, too bad the game itself wasnt anything special.

Last generation was hit or miss, IMO.

PS2 was Sony's best console imo, it had so many (great) games it wasnt even funny for MS and Nintendo. GTA 3, VC and SA being timed exclusives where really a big thing as everyone wanted those titles. Two great god of war games, MGS2 and 3, Jak games, Ratched games, GT3/4 and the list only gets longer if one wants. DVD was a big thing, and the PS2 had one as the first console. Graphics where stunning too, people didnt believe games like SotC, GoW 2 ZOE2 were possible on the platform. over 13 years in production and over 155 million units sold. Something tells me PS4 isnt going to repeat PS2's success, not any console in the future either....

So what gives?
I’m generally of the same thinking. It went from GPGPU and async compute to significantly more CPU.

I think it’s because 3P games are on PC. And GPGPU is a disaster there. Devs may not be willing to create two entirely different branches of processing.

I'm sure they use a lot of GPU compute to make up for the anemic CPUs in the current consoles.

So what gives?

GPGPU was spawned from non gaming devs wanting to take advantage of the programmable features of new gen gpus but not be reliant on DX or shader languages like HLSL.

Devs are too busy using compute for gaming aspects that have the biggest impact. Better cloth simulation is nice but how much does it ultimately matter to the gamer? Does allowing physical and realistic interaction with every object in a game inherently make a game more enjoyable? If AI and physics were that important you would think we would spend way more time discussing it.

Even if we had more powerful CPUs in consoles, I suspect game devs would probably give the extra frame time to the GPUs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back