What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Shtal, Sep 21, 2008.

?

What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

1. Both Radeon HD 4800 series & GeForce 200 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Radeon HD 4800 series

37 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Radeon HD 4600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Radeon HD 3800 series

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Radeon HD 3600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Radeon HD 2900 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Radeon HD 2600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Radeon X1900 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Radeon X1800 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Radeon X1600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. GeForce 200 series

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. GeForce 9800 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. GeForce 9600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  14. GeForce 9500 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  15. GeForce 8800 series

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  16. GeForce 8600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  17. GeForce 7900 series

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  18. GeForce 7800 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  19. GeForce 7600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. Not on the list!

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

No. It demonstrates that there isn't a general bias among the membership because 3 months ago the majority of people were using Nvidia cards. I don't think there's anything particularly staggering about the poll, the 4800/200 ratios seems similar to the results on a number of sites that ran "which product will you buy next?" polls.

Or maybe someone wanted a 1gb card, or someone wanted the fastest currently available product. Or maybe because they are biased and favor nvidia. I do suspect that the 200 series got a whole lot less attractive when the 4870 arrived, but that really doesn't exclude any of the above.

I didn't assume anything, but I know many early adopters have been sitting on 8800 series cards for quite a while waiting for a reason to upgrade and a product that would be an upgrade (the 9800 series really isn't). The 4850 certainly seems like a good choice for those looking for an upgrade who didn't own an 8800, that's why I only mentioned the upgrade path, the 9800 and down was weaker than the 4850 and the 9800+ was non-existant for a while. I'd also suggest there wasn't anyone on this forum that didn't know the 4800 series was following the 200 series very quickly so it would have only made sense for them to wait. That got pretty easy for them when the 200 series released at a fairly high price.

Because you're claiming the site membership is biased because the poll doesn't currently favor your pet brand. Duh. And what exactly do you think makes you immune to bias?

2. Scali

Regular

How do you know? Was there a poll 3 months ago aswell?

That's a different question.

What makes you think i have a 'pet brand' in the first place? I can't recall expressing a preference to any brand or model in this thread. In fact, do you even know what videocard I currently own in the first place? Or what card I'm most likely to buy next? I didn't mention it here.
    You might have a 'pet brand', I don't. That's the whole thing. The fact that you even bring it up says enough about how you think.

Common sense.

3. I.S.T.

Veteran

Try using a non-retail piece of software(Such as one of the n64 emulator video plugins) made with Open GL and watch as it has only a 50% chance of working properly. Properly is defined by no major glitches and no random slowdowns.

And no, it's not the plugins fault. It happens on too many of them, even with devs who's primary development machine is running a recent ATI/AMD card.

Any company who consistently screws up that fucking big should not even be in business.

And yes, I think the same of MS/Sony/any company with spotty track records to this day. Sadly, mediocrity is the norm nowadays.

And I'm pretty sure I just alienated half of the forum. -_-

4. AlphaWolf

Legend

Sure, and this is the followup, its like comparing pre-election polls to exit polls.

You don't need to own any videocard to have a bias in the matter. You don't know what any individual here owns unless they've chosen to tell you, you just decided to assume the membership is biased because the results don't suit you. You have no evidence of it, your staggering leaps of faulty logic notwithstanding.

Bias has nothing to do with common sense, quite the opposite. I'm not convinced you lack bias or have common sense. As you said above, the fact that you even brought it up says a lot about how you think. You've certainly given no one any reason to think you're any less biased than anyone who's voted in the poll or commented in the thread.

5. Scali

Regular

What does that mean? "The results don't suit you"?
    Makes no sense to me. How could the results of a poll 'suit' anyone? Is it like a lottery, where I'd win a prize if the right combination came up?

That's exactly the point. Common sense keeps me from bias. It's quite the opposite. Very good!

I brought up the remarkable fact that the relatively new 4800-series received most of the votes in this poll. In other words, it is a fact that most voters here have recently bought an ATi videocard. Hence it is a fact that they are ATi-centric at this point.
    But it's nice that people like to jump all over the messenger, crying 'bias' and all that, throwing insults around, without really having a point.

6. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

ATi-centric would suggest those people are ATi biased. That's not the case at all. Those people are instead high-end biased and also buy early. So you're placing the reasoning in the wrong place.

7. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

He's seeing what he wants to see

8. Davros

Legend

Just because people are buying the 4870/50 doesnt mean they think they are the best card

9. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Shame you needed to clarify it, the only thing I'm biased towards is 3D graphics and the health of the industry bred by it.

This entire thread since I last posted is mostly moot. It's nice that Scali cares enough about the field to see things that aren't there, but that's all he sees :smile:

10. Shtal

Veteran

It's very close, I'm looking forward to see if this poll could hit 100 votes total :D

11. thehulk

Newcomer

I voted for the 4800 series.
    I've had 12 video cards since 1998, 8 of them were Nvidia's.

The 4850 I'm using right now is the second ATI card I've owned,
    the first being a 9800 Pro.

12. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

Where's 'most of the above'?

13. fbomber

Newcomer

It´s simple: many people, like me, think that, for example, the Nvidia part comparatively priced to the 4870, the GTX260, is worse. Worse, nothing more.
    The 4870 is a better card overall, for me and many others.
    And as our opinion is different than yours, who thinks the comparatively priced nvidia cards are worth competitors to the ati ones, you make weird assumptions about bias.

14. Scali

Regular

If you think the comparatively priced nVidia cards are worthy competitors, the assumptions about bias aren't weird at all, but painfully obvious.
    I have yet to hear arguments why people think the 4800 series is better than the nVidia offerings.

15. AlphaWolf

Legend

Perhaps some people like the longer bars on more of the graphs.

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Voter number 100, ATi 4870, perhaps putting in another one to for them to play together.

17. XMAN26

Banned

Scali, you want BIAS? BIAS was me before the 9800 line launched, you couldn't pay me to recommend an ATI card over a Nvidia, period. Since the 9800 thou, I've been more than happy to recommend ATIs product line, even use them because where they were pre 9800 and where they are now post 9800 is like night and day with drivers and hardware.

1x BFGOC GTX260
    1x Asus 4850
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640s(sold 1, kept 1)
    3x 9600GTs(1 BFGOC, 2x XFX XXXs)
    1x XFX 8600 Fata1ity
    1x eVGA 8600GT
    1x BFGOC 7900GS(Given to a friend with an X2 3800+ setup)
    1x BFG 6800GS(Brother currently has in his daughter's rig)
    1x ATI x1300
    1x BFGOC 6800GT
    3x BFG 6600GTOCs(gave 1 away to friend for daughters setup, sold the other 2)
    1x 9600XT AGP(ATI)
    1x Gainward 5900XT flashed to 5950
    1x GF4 4200Ti
    1x GF4 4600Ti
    1x GF3 Deluxe(Asus card)
    1x GF2 GTS(Hercues branded card that cause Nv to have fits over it due to core and mem clocks)
    1x GF1 SE(bought for my brothers setup)
    1x TNT2U
    1x TNT
    3x Riva 128s(2x ZXs and 1 regular)

Those are all the cards I have ever owned, a good portion of them I still have in my possesion. Anyone could call me BIASed based on that list, and they wouldn't be to far off as I prefer Nvidia hardware to ATI for myself due to driver default settings(I find the gamma and brightness settings of ATI drivers to be to much). But when I'm out and about at BB or Microcenter, I will suggest ATI hardware based on what the customer is looking to spend, what they will be doing and types of games they may play. More times than not, its ATI hardware that gets the nod from me right now because i is the better bang/buck, although Nv has improved on that a good dea since the GTXs came out. During the ATI 2xxx/3xxx and Nv 8xxx/9xxx gen, Nv had the upper hand, before ATI had the upper hand at 1 price point, Nv at another. It really comes down to users and who happens to be selling the hardware or who maybe be listening in when sales people are pitching a sale.

18. Foodman

Newcomer

When I got my 4870 it was the only viable option in the price range and it's been a great card - except I need to turn up the default fan speed so it stops "sneezing". Before that I had a second hand 1900XT. Before that, 6600GT, Radeon 9700, Geforce 3 Ti 200, Geforce2mx, Savage4, Savage3, Voodoo1.

Nvidia really soured me quite a bit from the extremely poor Vista launch, but they've since recovered and generally work about as well as ATI, finally.

19. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Here is another non-biased "log" of mine, in chronological order:

* Trident 9000i ISA, 512KB (for my very first own PC, back in January '96);
    * Some OEM S3 ViRGE 2MB board (died, took another one, first PCI card);
    * Tseng ET6000, 2.25MB MDRAM (rather exotic one, planned to add a Voodoo Graphics board for it, but the idea never took off);
    * OEM S3 ViRGE/DX 4MB;
    * Asus 3DP-V264GT2/TV, an ATi Rage 3D board, 4MB (rather stupid choice, first TV-Out fitted card, but didn't worked for me);
    * Asus 3DP-V3000 RiVA-128, 4MB (first Nvidia chip for me, and first *real* 3D working accelerator--played Quake2 in hardware, at last!);
    * Asus 3DP-V3000 RiVA-128, 4MB (first AGP card);
    * Generic Matrox Millennium G200, 8MB (32-bit display 3D rendering, yay!);
    * Acorp 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee, 16MB;
    * Acorp RiVA-TNT, 16MB (used this one for over 2 years--only good memories);
    * Some brand of S3 Savage4 Pro, 32MB (my second stupid purchase, short lived one);
    * GeForce2 MX400, 64MB;
    * Acorp GeForce2 Pro, 32 MB;
    * Xpert GeForce4 MX440-SE, 64MB (took on a faulty route soon after);
    * Xpert GeForce4 MX440, 64MB;
    * Some brand of GeForce4 Ti4200, 64MB;
    * Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, 128MB;
    * Asus Radeon 9600XT, 128MB;
    * PoV GeForce 6600GT, 128MB;
    * PoV GeForce 6600GT, 128MB (my first PCIe card);
    * MSI NX6800GS, 256MB;
    * Sapphire x1900XT, 256MB;
    * Sapphire HD2900XT, 512MB (I've stuck to this one like a real man!);
    * 2x Sapphire HD3870 in CrossFire;
    * Sapphire HD4870, 512MB at the present;

And what do you know -- not a sign of a single GeForceFX board here! :lol:

20. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

They don't need to. The evidence for that is everywhere across the web. I'm sorry, but the only one showing clear bias here is you.