What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Shtal, Sep 21, 2008.

?

What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

1. Both Radeon HD 4800 series & GeForce 200 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Radeon HD 4800 series

37 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Radeon HD 4600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Radeon HD 3800 series

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Radeon HD 3600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Radeon HD 2900 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Radeon HD 2600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Radeon X1900 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Radeon X1800 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Radeon X1600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. GeForce 200 series

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. GeForce 9800 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. GeForce 9600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  14. GeForce 9500 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  15. GeForce 8800 series

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  16. GeForce 8600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  17. GeForce 7900 series

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  18. GeForce 7800 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  19. GeForce 7600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. Not on the list!

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Davros

Legend

no I was commenting on why there are more 8800 owners than the ati equiv 3800 owners

2. Scali

Regular

If you're trying to convince me, don't bother. I've actually spoken with various ATi employees and forum staff over the years, I know what to believe. They would 'contact me' when I spilled the beans on something they didn't like.

3. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Haha, wow. Just ignore the proof. I'm not denying current/former ATi employees visit or even ran B3D in the past/now. I said nothing to the such. However, to say that there are no Nvidia employees that are known is just a joke and shows you don't know the community as well as you think. On top of that, past polls, and numerous posts is proof that this forum is hardly ATi-centric enough to sway this poll. The fact of the matter is the 4800 represents the best card value for high end early adapters (the B3D forum populace). Just like the 8800 did last generation. The 3870 was NOT a popular card, here or anywhere. There is no convincing you, you're simply denying facts.

4. Scali

Regular

Okay, bye now :)

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I wouldn't call waiting 1.5 years a quick upgrade when going from from an 8800GTX to a 4870.

As for why it's popular, i jumped because of the price. I got my 4870 card for slightly under $220 with a popular game included.

6. kyleb

Veteran

I did consider that you are in PAL land, but your intrest in 75hz rather than 50hz had me thinking your consern was running a higher refresh rather than smooth playback of 50hz content.
    That has been a while though, I used 1366x768 on a 1950xtx, 8800gt, and now a HD4870. Granted, I use 60hz, but there is nothing stoping you from running 75hz or 100hz for that matter. With Nvidia you can add resolutions though the driver control panel in both XP and Vista, and Powerstrip does the trick for ATI.

7. I.S.T.

Veteran

What? You've obviously never read much of the posts in this sub-forum or something. Most people were either using 8800 series cards or 38X0 series cards before the current gen came out. Usually the former.

8. Scali

Regular

Please, I don't want everyone to personally try and justify their purchase for me. I never said the 4800-series was a bad buy, I just added that there are alternatives for which the same could be said. I think people overlook that part. Try justifying why you did NOT buy a different card, it makes more sense in this debate (although the fact that you feel the need to defend your purchase says enough about your insecurity).
    However, this rhetoric says enough, obviously:

"The fact of the matter is the 4800 represents the best card value for high end early adapters (the B3D forum populace). Just like the 8800 did last generation. The 3870 was NOT a popular card, here or anywhere. There is no convincing you, you're simply denying facts."

Apparently it was already decided that it is a fact that the 4800 is the best card, and anyone who thinks... I don't know... an nVidia GTX260 or such... would be a reasonable match in terms of price, performance etc... is apparently in denial.

I rest my case.

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that 4800 series cards encompass a range from $139 to $579.

nah that couldn't possibly be it, it must be that everyone at b3d only buys ATI cuz they are bestest always.

#69 AlphaWolf, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  10. Scali

Regular

So you're saying that in the price range of $139 to $579 the 4800-series is the best choice by default?
    Because that is the only way I can interpret your statement, in combination with the poll results.

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

What's funny is I wouldn't buy an ATi card until their fix their Open GL support(Which, given their track record on this issue, won't happen. Ever.). If anything, I'm biased against them.

12. AlphaWolf

Legend

no, I'm saying the 4800 series of cards encompasses a wider range of needs than the 200 series. I know a lot of people who would never consider spending more than $200 on a video card. The fact that 95% of reviews say that the 4870 is better value than the 260 just reinforces that the 4800 series is going to win a poll like this on many forums. It doesn't take any bias on the part of the voter.

13. Scali

Regular

Well I'm not that concerned about OpenGL myself. I mainly develop Direct3D anyway, and the last OpenGL game I played was Doom3.
    However, I did have a Radeon X1900XTX512 in one machine, and it performed quite well in Doom 3 at first, but seemed to get considerably worse after a certain driver update, and the old performance was never restored as far as I know.

But it won't stop me from buying ATi.

14. Scali

Regular

Does that matter? The other nVidia series are listed aswell, but most of them get only 1 or 2 votes, clearly indicating that if people shopped in that price range at all, they'd mostly go for the 4800-series.
    Aside from that, it's very likely that the few people who did buy a 200 series card, did so in the period before the 4800-series were on the market, so they didn't actually have a choice.

Is that a fact? I don't think it is. Sure, at launch the 4870 was priced slightly lower than the GTX260, which made early reviews pick the 4870 as better value for money. But the GTX260 prices were quickly adjusted, and with the new Core216 reviews, we've seen that the 4870 isn't such an obvious choice at all anymore.
    Aside from that, nVidia also adjusted the prices of the 9800 series, introduced the slightly faster 9800GTX+, and various other models, so the situation is not at all like it was in the brief period of the launch reviews.
    So either the majority of the voters here jumped on the 4800-series immediately after launch... or they bought an ATi card without really looking at the alternatives. There is no other way to explain the disparity between 4800-series and all other cards in the poll.

15. Shtal

Veteran

The reason I upgraded to HD 4800 series graphic card because my HD 3870 did not run well in games with 4X AA enabled.
    The reason I upgraded to HD 3870 - because my HD2600Pro was to slow in games, but originally I purchased GF8600GT - but I had to switch to ATI HD2600 because - It was better image video and no corruption display with VLC player.

Majority people who bought GF8800 series are perfectly happy and have no reason to upgrade.

16. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Hi. I post at beyond3d and am affiliated with Nvidia.

Scali I think what your seeing is more of the vocal posters are more passionate about ATI. But I believe there are plenty of Nvidia users who browse this forum. Really polls like this dont mean anything. They just show what a cuirrent user might be using. Perhaps alot of G80 users didnt feel the currrent hardware offered them a value. I can understand that. Aside from more performance the GTX 200/HD4000 series arent a huge step up from the 8000 series. An HD4850/9800GTX certainly isnt an appealing upgrade to an 8800GT card. So that only leaves the high end. I imagine alot of people are just happy with their hardware. However some of even the more vocal posters don't even own modern high end hardware. They just like to discuss it. I think its obvious to most people the HD4000/GT200/9800 cards are close enough that most people can have fun with either. Also with the option of SLI/Crossfire. Some people just choose to add other cards to increase their performance.

*Edit* Just a clarification. While I may have strong feelings about previous management. I have met/worked with Rys in person and I dont for a second believe he is overly biased to one side or another or that he paticularly agenda's this site against Nvidia.

#76 ChrisRay, Sep 30, 2008
  17. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Guess you didnt hear that apparently this is the new rage3d.. we all use ati here.
    I dont have a 640MB 8800gts...

18. Scali

Regular

Well, obviously I don't think that no nVidia owners visit this forum...
    But you seem to agree that the most vocal portion of this forum is 'passionate about ATi'. So perhaps I'm not entirely imagining things.
    I can recall various instances where the ATi-crowd were too positive on upcoming ATi products (2900-series) or too negative on upcoming nVidia products (yield/power consumption issues for GT200). All these things combined (and me being harassed in private by ATi employees) lead me to conclude that there indeed is a slant towards ATi on this forum.

Well, Shtal's post above demonstrates that. He went through 3 ATi cards to get what he wanted.

I would hope so, but they seem to be silent. The people who actually posted in this thread literally claim it is a fact that the 4000-series is the best option, and talk like it is the ONLY option (they never even mentioned any competing nVidia products... which is not a very strong case in promoting the 4000-series. If it's the better card, why not compare it to its competitor and explain why it's better?).
    And they wonder why I think this board is ATi-centric. They're so biased they don't even know what neutral is anymore.

See? This is what bothers me.
    Wouldn't it be logical that since the 8800-series has been around for so long, that the majority of people upgraded to an 8800-series card in that time? And since the new cards aren't much of an upgrade, wouldn't it be logical that they stuck with that 8800-card?
    I mean, the nVidia-side of the poll makes perfect sense. By far the most people use an 8800-card. There's a few people with a GT200-card, early adopters, enthusiasts etc...
    But I can't make sense of the huge amount of 4800-votes.

#78 Scali, Sep 30, 2008
  19. AlphaWolf

Legend

Yes 1 or 2 or 9 or 21. Have you actually looked at the poll numbers? If you exclude the 4800 series and the 200 series (and not on the list) there are 31 votes for nvidia and 15 for ATI. How is it very likely that they bought the 200 series before the 4800 series went on the market? Where does that come from?

Most of the reviews I read certainly favored the 4870. Quickly? They adjusted their price, but it was only through rebates and fairly recently that they've gotten on par with 4870 pricing (I still can't get a 260 for within $30 of what I can get a 4870 in Canada). The Core216 hasn't been out long enough to make much of an impact. The poll isn't asking for people who only bought their card in the last week.

I think the 4850 was more attractive to those looking for an upgrade than the non-existent 9800GTX+. Yes you can get them now and they are a good comparison with the 4850, but when the 4850 shipped they were vapor for quite a while (and then there's always the perception that a newer product has a bit more to offer than a an OC). Those looking to upgrade from an 8800 aren't going to go to a 9800 series card, because well its not much of an upgrade so the decision for them became 4870 vs 260 or 280.

Nvidia has been playing catch-up with all the cards in this gen. Most of what they have done has been reactions to what ATi/AMD has done. That alone should give a pretty good idea who's got the winner at retail. Even then the ATi cards haven't been stagnant in price, I can get a factory OC 4870 for close to $200, and you get can get a 4850 for $140 and as far the super high end goes the 4870x2 is certainly an option for those looking to power a 30" display.

That brings me right back to what Rys said:
    So when you start shouting 'bias' perhaps you should look in the mirror first.

20. Scali

Regular

Yes, but what would that demonstrate?
    It would merely suggest that most ATi-users have upgraded to the 4800-series, and that most of the 8800-users haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.
    But the whole point IS the staggering amount of 4800-series in this poll, so excluding those doesn't make a lot of sense.

Isn't that obvious? The 200 series got a lot less attractive when the 4800-series arrived. Before, it was no contest really.

What about all those people who didn't have an 8800? You seem to assume that everyone had an 8800 to begin with. Also, you assume that they waited with their upgrade until the 4800-series and the 200-series were on the market. My brother didn't, for example. He went from a Radeon X1900XTX512 to a 9800GTX.

How exactly would I be biased? Can't wait to hear that one. I have no idea what kind of 'sour grapes' would apply here?

#80 Scali, Sep 30, 2008