What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Shtal, Sep 21, 2008.

?

What type of latest high-end ATI or Nvidia graphic you have? "Year 2005+"

1. Both Radeon HD 4800 series & GeForce 200 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Radeon HD 4800 series

37 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Radeon HD 4600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Radeon HD 3800 series

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Radeon HD 3600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Radeon HD 2900 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Radeon HD 2600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Radeon X1900 series

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Radeon X1800 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Radeon X1600 series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. GeForce 200 series

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. GeForce 9800 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. GeForce 9600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  14. GeForce 9500 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  15. GeForce 8800 series

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  16. GeForce 8600 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  17. GeForce 7900 series

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  18. GeForce 7800 series

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  19. GeForce 7600 series

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. Not on the list!

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Davros

Legend

2. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I prefer not using tomshardware, I like techreport.
    The 640MBGTS is a few frames at the most slower than a 8800GT accrording to this review, with timeshift being the odd game out that shows a 7fps difference between them http://techreport.com/articles.x/13772/3

slightly higher clockspeeds does not necessitate having it go from the 8800 series the the 9800 series, which would make it seem like it's a new architecture

3. Shtal

Veteran

It seems Radeon HD 4800 series took a good margin lead!

4. Shtal

Veteran

What is very interesting that most people who have GF8800 series graphic cards won't bother upgrading to GF200 series, but people who own HD3800 series jump straight ahead to ATI HD4800 series - based from the results of the Poll.

5. Davros

Legend

could be the expense of the g200 series combined with the fact a lot of 8 series users are using the 8800gt (the respin of the 8800gts) and they havnt been out for long. although the gtx260 has come down a lot

plus it was much cheaper for ati users the 4850 is almost in budget price range, nv users have no upgrade path like that the cheap 200 card is more expensive than the 4000 high end card

#45 Davros, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  6. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

hmmh... I wonder if "Nappe's GFX card encylopedia" list is still up to date...

naah... just kidding. ;) I don't have that many cards in active use. Real number is 2 or 3, depending how you count.

my main desktop has 7600GT and another desktop has 6600GT AGP. Laptop again is in "hard to believe someone is still using it actively" category, as it is Thinkpad T21, including S3 SuperSavage IX+. Nevertheless, with biggest main battery available and 2 ultrabay batteries, It will run Worms World Party or Open TTD or Settlers 3 over adhoc WLAN five and half hours straight. Not too shabby from computer designed in previous millenium. :D

in any case, I voted just 7600 series.

Here's my full list updated: (star indicates that I still have it, though it might be non-working or not exactly same but identical card.)

#46 Nappe1, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  7. Scali

Regular

Funny thing about these polls is that they demonstrate how ATi-centric this forum is.
    Looks like everyone jumped onto the Radeon 4800 as soon as it was released.

8. Davros

Legend

you cant really say that from the poll when you add up the numbers ati vs nv the number are close
    39 ati
    38 nv
    (not counting the first option HD 4800 series & GeForce 200 series)

9. Scali

Regular

Well, most of the ATi cards here are 4800s, which have only been around for a short while.
    That is something I find really strange. How can the newest cards be the most popular?
    Everyone upgraded right away?

I would expect more 8800 cards because they've been around much longer (more models, more availability).
    Aside from that I'm still surprised to see so few recent nVidia cards.

If anything I'd expect a more even balance between 4800 and GT200, and the 8800 series to be by far the most popular option. These results seem EXTREMELY skewed towards the 4800 series.
    Which doesn't even surprise me on this forum, to be honest. It just proves what I've known for a long time.

10. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

I think this forum is full of morons not realizing that they could been fine with older HW. They just need something to make their cock (as that bird of course) look bigger than their neighbour.

Think how much you've put in GFX HW during last 5 years. How far away you could have visitted seeing stuff / landscapes no GFX card ever deliver using that same amount of money?

Or since when you last time played more than a 6 months of same game with your awesome GFX HW? Or are you just in continously drunk from "fascination of new"?

Are the games really good, or are you just buying them to see some cool new effects and see something new as the yesterdays game is so... ....well, yesterday? Does game need anything else than great graphics to be good? Who gives a ratts ass (=donkey) if game is thru in 8 hours, as long as fire and dust clouds look great. Who cares about good manuscript, as long as there's some biiiig weapons?

Everyone knows that answer to life, unverse and all that kind of stuff is 42, but does it really matter as long as there's new GFX HW? human kind is soon to go to Mars, but you don't probably even notice it as ATI/nVidia has just relased a stream processors, which need to be collected straight away, as they may provide marginally cooler effects which you won't see in games as you are too busy buing next generation when the previous ones just gets implemented.

11. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

There's nothing wrong with being interested enough in graphics or gaming to want to have high-end hardware in your system, especially if you can afford it. You might be fine on slower hardware, but that's not really the point.

As for HD 4800 being popular.....it's a good product stack. What else am I missing? I've come to learn over the years that any accusation of bias around here is generally just sour grapes because of an existing one on the part of the poster. It's just wasted space in the database, and ignorable to the extreme. We're all smarter than that.

12. Scali

Regular

That same logic applies to many other products in this poll, from both ATi and nVidia. So why is the 4800 so extremely popular compared to the rest?
    The only cards for which there is a logical explanation to their popularity would be the GeForce 8800 series. Just like the Radeon 9700 a few years earlier, these cards arrived months before the competition had any answer at all, and when the answer finally arrived, it was too little, too late.
    Most other cards in this list have pretty direct competitors from the other side, in terms of features, performance and price. So it's hard to explain a distinct preference either way based purely on the merits of the hardware itself.

I think Nappe1 raises an interesting point... if I already owned a 3870, I don't think I'd buy a 4870, because it wouldn't be such good value for money. So where are the 3800-series owners?

Not in my case. I've owned various brands over the years, been around long enough to know that brand loyalty is stupid. A brand is no guarantee for a good product. With every new generation the tables can be turned... and they have, various times in history. It explains why companies that once reigned supreme, such as S3, Matrox or 3dfx, are now but a distant memory.
    Funny enough I didn't mention brand bias in my post anyway...

#52 Scali, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  13. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

the point is not if you can afford it. the point is, where you put your money. I know a lot of guys who afford updating their GFX card every year, but they do not have afford buy their games they play. And I don't think this being problem just in Finland. When you nowadays walk in the gamestore, you'll see PC section having 15x Sims, NHL Hockey, Half Life and few RPGs. That's all. everything else is "yeah we can order it in two weeks for PC, but if you have console, we have it in stock."

am I only one seeing this having a slight, if not ethical, then financial problem?

Eventually the situation cannot stay like this. Or of it is, we are gonna see some big GFX HW houses to come down really fast, when the industry gets the point that no good games are no longer made to PC, but GFX cards costs more than ever.

Of course, screwups like nVidia with their lap top chips aren't really helping the situation.

Reason why I have not updated? Still no one can confirm that newer nVidia or ATI cards could be capable doing 1366x768@75Hz. I was more than lucky to have Philips 26" DVB-T TV three years ago, which accepts the signal via DVI-D connector, even though it takes several hours to tweak 7600GT to output that, so even though I might get some speed increase from updating GFX card to GT Legends, I am not going to change the card until I am 100% sure that I can keep the native resolution.

It's ironic that they can ran 100 million full featured polygons per second, but ask a relatively rarer resolution support and "umh... no, we cannot support that." it's like jet manufacturer stating that they can reach 9 machs, but do not know how to land nor get in the air.

14. kyleb

Veteran

Eh? Of course they can, it has been years since there was a card released that couldn't. You'd likely get smoother motion from 60hz though, as most modren displays don't internally refresh at 75hz, but rather drop refreshes to do 60hz.

15. Davros

Legend

you can create a resolution in the nvidia drivers (in xp anyway)

regaring the poll could be nv owners see the new cards as a decent upgrade whereas ati owners dont ?

16. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

yeah but as living in PAL world, 25/50 field multiplys are preferable to have nice DVD playback. (and you can bet that TV being PAL sure does refresh multiply of 50 :D )

1366x768 is problematic as the resolution does not confim VESA timing standards. (needs resolution being dividable by 8 which 1366 isn't. with 7600GT and 6600GT I have been able to tweak it work using both, nvidia own cp and powerstrip combined. ATI cards at least up to X800 series did not support having resolutions not dividable by 8. according to ATI it was HW limiting thingy.)

Matrox does that resolution out of the box as well as many others very weird modes. Unfortunately, they are lacking in 3D. (or then I am still playing too much, though one race in GT Legends every second week does not sound that much...)

#56 Nappe1, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  17. Scali

Regular

Don't you mean the other way around?
    Most nVidia votes are for older 8800 cards, most ATi votes are for the latest 4800 cards.

18. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

1.) The forum isn't ATi-centric. Such a conclusion shows a complete lack of knowing the community here. It's high-end centric, and early adopter centric. Just last generation Nvidia cards were the run away success here, now ATi. Guess why? Because last generation Nvidia had the run away best value in high end and now ATi does.

2.) People enjoy different things. Not everyone wants to go outside and have to actually deal with humans. On the other hand, the most powerful graphics card I own right now is the Intel integrated in my laptop. I stick around because I actually like this forum, however crazy that might sound. So calling someone a moron based on their choice of buying a video card vs going on a trip is... well, moronic.

19. Scali

Regular

On the contrary. If you knew this community as well as you claim, then you'd know that there are quite a few (present or former) employees of ATi active on these boards (who are open about working for ATi).
    In all the time I've been active on this forum (which is longer than you, by the way), I can't recall any member that is affiliated with nVidia. There might be some, but they never made it known, as far I know.

20. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Tim works for Nvidia last I knew, and I'm guessing he's not the only one. Besides, the vast majority of the members here at B3D are only use those companies products. Beyond just that reading the forum in the time intervals of 8800 launch till 4800 launch would have made it extremely clear which company produced the most popular card here (guess who? Nvidia.).