WHAT THE PHUQ?! MS popup blocker allows MS popups!

Guden Oden

Legend
I've recently reinstalled winxp on my box, so I visited the MSN site briefly just to download and install MSNM 6.2. While I was there - all 1 clicks or so I spent on it - the popup blocker in SP2 silently let through a MSN advertisment popup that appeared in the new IE window that the MSN toolbar opened up after installation.

Now for those that have used SP2, you'll know this blocker is exceedingly aggressive, to the point of being nnoying; often blocking file downloads and new windows triggered by user clicks (rather than purely triggered by the remote server as in the case of popups), thus that the first ever ad popup it lets through since installing SP2 is from MS themselves is more than slightly suspicious IMO!

Seems to me they're abusing their monopoly position - AGAIN!!!

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Guden Oden said:
Now for those that have used SP2, you'll know this blocker is exceedingly aggressive, to the point of being annoying
That's what I LIKE about SP2, I've kind of been surprised by the number of times/things the firewall pops up and tells me about. (I had no clue damn near every game I installed "phoned home"! :? No more. 8) )

Yeah, it does sound like they're abusing it. I grant you that is a big bad, but did you seriously expect anything different?

The thing that scares me is that if MS can do it then someone else is going to find out how they do it, which means another security flaw. :?

just use netscape..... almost never get unwanted popups, not even from microsoft. and never ever has it blocked one i wanted. or you can get mozilla cause netscape these days = mozilla. oh yeah and map one of the buttons on your mouse to "close". the few popups that do manage to get through dont have time to load... and I'm on 2 T1's ;)

Leto said:
Games phoning home, huh? What games are doing that and what are they phoning home about.
Sorry! Missed this one. It was an EA games one, I space which...I'll take note of which ones do it from now on.

Back