What should Nintendo do to become N°1 again?

Evil_Cloud

Veteran
GameCube 2 or N5 (whatever) has to be succesfull, because otherwise it'll be Nintendo's last console attempt. (unless some Pokémon-like events occur or something) With PSP coming, Nintendo's GBA profits could be in danger.

What do you think Nintendo has to include in this console in order to become succesfull?

I'd like to see a multifunction cardridge slot, next to a mini-disk medium, compatible with GameCube games. You should be able to play NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy and GameBoy advance games via one cardridge slot (with a switch to choose the number of pins) with no region lock. They should then re-release al sorts of classics in their original cardridge form.

If it could read DVD's, would have great first, second and third party support and if you would be able to play online, it might stand a chance the next-generation...

Nintendo will finish 3rd party (or stay in a niche market position), maybe not next gen, but sooner or later. As you as you start to lose the general public mindshare, it does not stop.

And I love Nintendo :(

Imho there's no possibility that Nintendo will regain the No. 1 spot but there's no need to. Nintendo shouldn't try to take on Sony and Microsoft directly (that would be nothing more than a pointless cash-bleeding venture) and instead secure itself a niche big enough to remain profitable - sort of the Apple of the console-industry.

As long as Nintendo is profitable with its own hardware, the company will not go 3rd party. Simply going 3rd party isn't the ultimate solution to every problem - just take a look at Sega.

One thing I never understood is why they didn’t use GBA cartridges as memory cards.
Here they have this wonderful little widespread media and existing production facilities to boot, and then they don’t use it everywhere they can?!
Maybe they could even turn it in to some kind of standard, they could licence?
It would also have made GBA to GC gamelinks much more practical.

Another thing. Don’t let Miyamoto design the pad next time (at least not unsupervised and with extensive testing to)! As good as the GC pad is, there are some very obvious blunders there that should have been corrected before release.

Why would anyone want Nintendo in the number 1 position? History has taught us what Nintendo´s practices and philosophies are, and how their lead kept this industry from advancing for a very long time.

Being second or third IMO brings out the best of them (or at least they aren´t as bad as they used to be) anyway.

I'm comfortable with Nintendo being in the number 2 spot this gen. Sony will not lose the top spot in home consoles..never! I also think GBA will not lose the handheld spot either. The PSP will be big (I'll have one) but it's a totally different price point (alot more than GBA) and multi media ie, portable DVD market if you will.

As far as controllers the GCN is top. One more button would have been nice but I'm sorry the Wavebird has me spoiled big time. I can deal with one less button and a funked placed Z button rather than wires stretched all over the place..my den is large.

Almasy I agree. Nintendo is better now. They are more humbled. I like Iwata alot. Now if only Sony could be humbled a little bit.

Goldni said:
Almasy I agree. Nintendo is better now. They are more humbled. I like Iwata alot. Now if only Sony could be humbled a little bit.

Any company that is or was on the top tends to be arrogant. Just take a look at Nintendo, Intel, Microsoft and even Nvidia. So if you want Sony to be more humble, Sony first has to loose its leading position. I think that Microsoft might be able to greatly reduce their marketshare and maybe even take the No. 1 spot in the long run though. We've seen how persistent the people at Microsoft can be when they want something and considering they're apparently willing to loose billion after billion on the Xbox-venture they seem to want a big slice of the console-pie really bad.

No chance for Nintendo though but as I said it currently doesn't matter at all.

Squeak said:
Another thing. Don?t let Miyamoto design the pad next time (at least not unsupervised and with extensive testing to)! As good as the GC pad is, there are some very obvious blunders there that should have been corrected before release.

The GC pad has to be the most comfortable controller out there. I do have problems with the two front triggers which is far too soft and does not feel very responsive at all, whereas the z-trigger is too stiff :?. As for the most common criticism I find the D-pad fits my fingers perfectly, infact it feels more responsive being smaller. Maybe it's oversized western fingers that's the real issue. :?

- they need to ditch al that oldschool nintendo crap. nobody want's them anymore (diehard fans for nostalgia maybe)

- mario ? donkey kong? mario kart? please, make something new and exciting . make it cool for adults also.
- i think they need to design the console modern style and cool.
- ditch the nintendo name. license PS3 maybe :)
- make it piratable on the long term , it wil push more sales (see xbox ps2) ( i have to admit, here in belgium , 9 out of 10 people has a xbox that i know , for one purpose only! pirating games, divx moviez and for emus)

hey69 said:
- mario ? donkey kong? mario kart? please, make something new and exciting . make it cool for adults also.

I am an adult and those games are cool to me, so they don't need to do what they already do... just continue doing it.

hey69 said:
- they need to ditch al that oldschool nintendo crap.

Maybe it's just you who shouldn't buy it if you don't f'n like it, ever thought about that huh? ;)

nobody want's them anymore (diehard fans for nostalgia maybe)

Yeah, I'm sure none of the couple million people who bought Mario Sunshine, Zelda Windwaker and Metroid Prime wanted those games, they just bought them because they're f'n stupid and wanted to throw some money in the trash.

Get real!

i think they need to design the console modern style and cool.

IMO, GC is "modern style and cool".

ditch the nintendo name. license PS3 maybe :)

Gee whiz, now that's a novel idea, make Nintendo #1 BY DITCHING THE NINTENDO NAME! Someone, give this kid a million dollars for this remarkably bright suggestion!

make it piratable on the long term , it wil push more sales

...And ANOTHER million for this one. They just keep on coming don't they!

Dude, manufacturers have no specific interest in selling lots of pieces of hardware as that is not a (major) source of income for them. In fact, for some (*cough* Micro$oft *cough*) it can even be a financial drain. What they're interested in is selling software, and by your smart idea to make software - the life-blood of publishers and console manufacturers alike - PIRATEABLE ON PURPOSE, you're making sure nobody's going to be very successful.

( i have to admit, here in belgium , 9 out of 10 people has a xbox that i know , for one purpose only! pirating games, divx moviez and for emus)

Dude, I sit here asking myself if you even KNOW ten people with an XB, and even if you do, do you seriously expect your friends to be a representative cross-section of XB owners across the globe?

All this sillyness is making me go ROFL.

*G*

hey69 said:
- they need to ditch al that oldschool nintendo crap. nobody want's them anymore (diehard fans for nostalgia maybe)

- i think they need to design the console modern style and cool.
- ditch the nintendo name. license PS3 maybe :)
- make it piratable on the long term , it wil push more sales (see xbox ps2) ( i have to admit, here in belgium , 9 out of 10 people has a xbox that i know , for one purpose only! pirating games, divx moviez and for emus)

all the above merely staes that Nintendo need to diversify. none of which require any of the above points.

however doing so would be them in an unfavorable position with Sony and MS duking it out IMO.

PRAY A METEORITE STRUCK SONY'S FABS,
PRAY MICROSOFT DOESNT PUT ITS HEADS TOGETHER AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING WORTH EVERYONE'S TIME...

MANY THINGS...

(sorry for the caps)

GRALL: don't take it to serious man...

"Yeah, I'm sure none of the couple million people who bought Mario Sunshine, Zelda Windwaker and Metroid Prime wanted those games, they just bought them because they're f'n stupid and wanted to throw some money in the trash. "

btw, they need to buy something dont they? if those games are the best nintendo can offer, then hey, it' normal only a few millions buys them.

what my point is actually that nintendo doesn't have to heavily focus on mario and metroid and zelda to be ALL THAT . create something new, refreshing and instead of selling games to couple million people, they can sell it to TENS of millions happy nintendo customers..

+ all the things london-boy said = i agree
:devilish:

edit: wow, if you think that GC IS modern style and cool, i wonder how a childish colorfull console looks alike.... 8)

Only thing they need to do is give as much care/respect/focus...spend as much energy on 3rd party titles as they do for their 1st/2nd party titles.

Yeah, Deepak, I agree.

Nintendo's been neglecting third-party devs literally FOREVER. In NES/SNES days they could afford to pi$$ them off because they were the top dog, come N64 they continued in much the same way and paid a heavy price. With GC they seem to be a little better, but dammit, they should start to really lick butts to 3rd parties, they got a gazillion bucks in the bank; PAY devs to develop a kickass game! That will be profitable in the long run.

Also they need to do less "primary colors" games, or at least MORE "non-primary colors" games. Metroid Prime is a fine example of a game older people can enjoy, yet not having madmen mowing down hookers in cars and gunning down policemen or such, they could sure need more software like MP.

*G*

Back