What on Earth is the R350?

I was really surprised at CMKRNL's information about a recent tapeout of R350 on .15u.

My previous guess was that there was no core improvement for the R300 scheduled before the R400. I thought we would see a .13u RV350 launch aside the R400 (which looks confirmed) as a lower cost replacement in keeping with past ATi trends. I also thought we might see a clock bumped DDR-II equipped R300 do battle with the NV30 in the first half of next year.

I had figured R350 was a myth, as I didn't think there was much room for improvement on .15u, and I didn't think ATi would produce a .13u replacement so quickly.

It looks now like I was incorrect, and that there is a true core enhanced R350 chip that has recently taped out on .15u. The question then, is what could they possibly do to increase core performance?

They might try to match the NV30's more flexible shaders, but that is really only to compete with PR, as it wouldn't offer a significant boost in performance IMO. With the R300 being such a large die on .15u already, there doesn't appear to be much room for more vertex shaders or the like. I highly doubt a second TMU could be added, and would probably not be that great of a benefit even if it were.

Could it just be retooled for higher clockspeed? Improvements in the DDR-II memory controller? More powerful pixel shaders (operations per cycle)? I'm really scratching my head on this one.

MrB said:
this forum loves speculating ;) NV30 switch to R350. R350 switch to ......

A) Parhelia 2
B) SiS Xabre II
C) Trident XP4 follower
D) S3 / VIA Columbia
E) ATI R400
F) nVidia NV35
G) 07h3r M3ga Ãœb3r ch1p that 0wnz 3v3ry0n3z a223z

Well, IMO as a hardcore follower of neither one company, but who produces the best hardware..

Forget all the rest.. A, E and F are the only ones worth following...

And only A, if they have seriously learn't from their past mistakes.

demonic said:
Forget all the rest.. A, E and F are the only ones worth following...

And only A, if they have seriously learn't from their past mistakes.

at least I don't more than it looks like to be being taped out some time ago. That's all I know. so, it seems that they have tighten up their policy, though they had thightest policy already.

DegustatoR said:
Nappe1 said:
G) M3ga Ãœb3r ch1p that 0wnz 3v3ry0n3z a223z fr0m H3l21nk1 t0 Vlad1v0270k.
Now, that sounds like The Card for me :)

LOL! :) you got it quoted before I decided to remove that part. ;)

I knew we have someone else knowing the railway track of Siberia. :)
Greets to St. Petersburg from Kotka.

IMO, there's a quite lot ppl between Helsinki and Vladivostok ;)

B and C have really made some MAJOR improvements lately.... my eyes are on them to see if they'll give me something interesting toplay with, for now ip stick with a cu 1GHz+ CPU cooler and 37cfm TMD fan cooling the peltier on my GF4. well, that's if i can figure out how to mount any of it... heheh. but head my words, having a HUGE thin sheet of copper is useful because i can make my own coldplate and make it cover ram and everything :D

Bigus Dickus said:
Man, still no one wants to even venture a guess as to what ATi might be doing with the R350?

We are suffering from "Multiple-closely-related-thread-itis". I've given my guess here and don't think anyone wants me to cut and paste spam it to this thread. There are other guesses possibly scattered elsewhere in other related threads too.

Bigus Dickus said:
Man, still no one wants to even venture a guess as to what ATi might be doing with the R350?

your guess is as good as mine ;)

I certainly cant think of what an R350 could be. I would still venture to believe that theres no such thing, but it seems everyone is now popping up with rumors that its already been taped out. *shrug*

it would certainly be a departure from ATIs previous strategy...

Back