What now Dig?!? A phone?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Yeah, my LG Mach fell in the snow last week and is now unchargeable. I'm using my old Sanyo Zio, android 2.2, and hating every second of it.

Any good places to pick up older/used Sprint phones? I don't need the latest/greatest, but this sucks!

Any help is appreciated, muchos gracias mi amigos!

In the mean time, eject the battery of your LG and put the phone right behind pc exhaust fan or on top of ps4

It wouldn't help, the terminals that laid flat on the little prong thing inside the little trapazoid are all squished back now. I don't think it was a wet issue in the first place, the pins just got fucked up over time and this was the time they gave out.

I've been looking online and there are tons of used phone places, so I decided to head to my local Goodwill/Salvation Army tomorrow and rummage through their electronics bin to see what they have. :)

ah yeah, you can replace that port though. if you have experience in soldering, it should take less than half hour to solder. but can be a nightmare to take apart the phone (dpeneding its glued or not). much safer and easier to buy phone. hope you got good phone.

I've decided to go ahead and try and get a decent one. If I go for another 2 year Sprint contract I can get my new price locked in, (either $50 or $60 cheaper a month, I'm not sure which), and all 4 of our phones will be and are eligible for upgrade. So I will be able to get either a Samsung Galaxy S5 or an HTC One E8 for $100, either of which should be good enough for me for the next two years and my kids will be able to upgrade soon also.

Gotta talk to the wife about it, but I'm pretty sure it is a no-brainer. I kind of bluffed 'em down by shopping around at T-mobile where they offered me a $180/mos 4 line unlimited everything contract that Sprint quickly offered to match for us, but I wasn't sure if we committed to a 2 year family plan if that meant everyone gets to upgrade. Found out tonight it did, started checking out their lower cost options and narrowed it down to the two mentioned.

If anyone has any input on those two it would be really appreciated. I've read a bunch of reviews on a bunch of phones I could get and decided on the HTC One E8, but just now noticed the S5 is available for the same price and I gotta do some homework and compare the two before I pull the trigger but I'm too bloody tired now and gotta go pass out.

Hugs and thanks!

Yeah, but I'm not sure if I can get it. Supposedly the deal on the S5 is for new customers only, but I'm thinking about trying to sweet talk 'em in to letting me get it for that.

It's the removable battery and the water resistance, but I think the HTC One E8 I could easily live with if I can't get the S5.

Either way, I think you'll really enjoy the additional frequency band support offered by those phones. Especially the support for voice and 4G LTE on the old NexTel 800Mhz frequency bands (assuming the towers in your area have been upgraded). This makes a tremendous difference in signal penetration in buildings which has been a weakpoint of Sprint wireless service for years.

Once you experience a front-facing, dual-amplified stereo sound like in the E8 for occasional videos, you won't be able to come back.
Samsung's O.S. is so bloated in the S5 that the company actually bragged about how the S6 carries "less software features". I imagine those things are bound to be even worse for subsidized phones with carrier-specific trash on top of Samsung's own trash.

AFAIK, the only trouble with the E8 is that it doesn't get its updates as fast as the M models. However, it's still within the Advantage program meaning HTC has "promised" it'll get all Android updates that are released during the next year and a half.

Yeah, E8 is really looking like my primary choice. The only downside to it is the non-replaceable battery, but I think I can live with that.

BTW - I repaired the charging port on my LG Mach, it was a $7us part off Amazon and about 15 minutes of work. I'm still upgrading, but this gives me the luxury of time to decide what I want and wait for the price I want. :)

The first question you need to ask when choosing a phone is
1) Can it make and receive calls
The second question is
2) There is no second question

The first question you need to ask when choosing a phone is
1) Can it make and receive calls
The second question is
2) There is no second question

Here you are:

pTB5U3i.jpg

Glad to be of service :)

Back