What music are you listening to right now?

So no doubt your wondering what slice of epicness am I going to post today
"You Suffer" by Napalm Death
Normally I post a paragraph explaining the meaning of the piece but I've decided to see if you can work it out for yourself
ps: you need to listen to the whole song.
I bought the CD when it went out back in 87 (?). My CD player had issues loading the disc due to too many tracks :mrgreen:

Now for the latest slice of epicness
whats it about, is it about dancing - NO IT'S NOT ABOUT BLOODY DANCING
the album is the classic prog metal opus : Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche

The album begins with the protagonist, Nikki, in a hospital. He lies in a near catatonic state, unable to remember anything but snippets from his past. Suddenly, Nikki's memories come flooding back in a torrent. He remembers how, as a heroin addict and would-be political radical frustrated with contemporary society due to the economic inequality, corruption and hypocrisy around him, he was manipulated into joining a supposed secret organization dedicated to revolution. At the head of this organization is a mysterious political and religious demagogue known only as Dr. X, who manipulates Nikki through a combination of his heroin addiction and brainwashing techniques to become an assassin. Whenever Dr. X uses the word "mindcrime", Nikki becomes his docile puppet, a state which Dr. X uses to command Nikki to undertake any murder that the Doctor wishes.

As his position within Dr. X's organization grows, so does Nikki's ego and adherence to his master's vision of the future. Through one of Dr. X's associates, a corrupt priest named Father William, Nikki is offered the services of a teenage prostitute-turned-nun named Sister Mary. Through his friendship and growing affection toward Sister Mary, Nikki begins to question the nature of what he is doing, seeing that Dr. X has his own nefarious agenda. Dr. X takes notice and, seeing a potential threat in Mary to his cult of personality, orders Nikki to kill both her and the priest. Nikki goes to Mary's church and kills the priest, but, after confronting Mary, he fails to comply with the command to murder her. He loves Mary and decides to leave the organization with her, so Nikki goes to Dr. X to tell him that they are out. Dr. X, however, reminds Nikki that the alternative is to go back to his bleak life as a self-loathing but helpless addict. Nikki leaves, conflicted and uncertain, and he returns to Mary only to find her dead.

Nikki cannot cope with the loss, as well as the possibility that he himself may have killed her without knowing it (it was later revealed on the Mindcrime at the Moore DVD that Mary killed herself after Dr. X threatened to kill Nikki)and he begins to succumb to insanity. He runs through the streets calling her name. The police arrive and attempt to subdue him. A gun is found on Nikki, and they take him into custody under suspicion of Mary's murder and the murders he committed for Dr. X. Suffering from an almost complete loss of memory, Nikki is put into a mental hospital, where he retraces in his mind his last moments with Mary. Back in the present in the hospital room at the beginning of the story Nikki has regained his memory, but now stares at his image in a mirror, unable to recognize who he is and what he has become.

Great write up, thanks!

One of my all time favorite albums. I can’t believe it was almost 35 years ago I heard it on the radio, I still have vivid memories of the shock I had. I still remember most of the lyrics.

What could be more epic than a concept album?
A concept album and Iron Maiden of course, based on a novel by Orson Scott Card
Seventh Son of A Seventh Son

Moonchild: The 7th son is born. Lucifer, knowing of his powers, through threats to his parents is trying to win over the 7th so as to control his powers.

Infinite Dreams: The young boy is seeing increasingly frightening dreams, which are the result of the dawning of his powers, which he does not know of yet. The nature of the dreams fills the 7th son with worries and unanswered questions.

Can I Play With Madness: The accumulating questions as well as the increasing fear drive the 7th son to ask a prophet in search of answers. The prophet understands the young boy's nature and his ignorance of his powers. Thinking of the harms they could cause if the boy were won over to the "left side", he avoids answering and tries to scare the boy away from finding any answers, threatening him that his soul would "burn in a lake of fire".

The Evil That Men Do: At this point, Satan again tries to win the 7th son to his side. He sends his virgin daughter to him as bait to lure him over. The 7th son sleeps with the virgin which leeds to "the slaughter of innocence". His awareness has become more acute and he is very close to discovering what he is.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: The spiritual rebirth of the 7th son takes place. He realises his powers and the only thing remaining is to see if he will use them for good or for evel, "which path will he take".

The Prophecy: The son has chosen the good side. Lucifer again tries to win him over, this time through other means. Lucifer prepares a disaster to the village, knowing that the 7th son will foresee it and try to warn the others. Lucifer is depending on the nature of mankind, as the villagers disbelieve the 7th son and mock him. The people now turn against the 7th son acusing him that he "brought down a curse" with his false predictions. Lucifer hopes that this ungratefulness will push the 7th son to rethink about the side he has chosen. Disaster comes, as predicted.

The Clairvoyant: Human ungratefulness and the futility of trying to use his powers for good have taken a great toll on the 7th son's heart. As his courage is diminishing and his powers grow stronger each day, the young boy has started to be scared of them once again. he is scared that he will no longer be able to be in control of them. he prepares to "meet his maker".

Only The Good Die Young: The Seventh Son, in his dying moments, spits at humanity's hypocrisy, foretells the doom of all and questions the purpose of his own being.

Yeah perhaps there 2nd best album, I didnt know it was based on the orson scott card book (not sure I read it)
Actually yes I did read it, I read all the The Tales of Alvin Maker books, better series than the enders game series IMO (though speaker for the dead is a brilliant book)

RIP Vangelis
Member of the Progressive Rock band Aphrodite's Child
And now time for some Greek Epicness
The concept for 666 was created by Vangelis and film director Costas Ferris, who served as the project's lyricist. Ferris cited as influences the nonlinear narrative style of films Intolerance, Rashomon, Citizen Kane and The Killing, as well as the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the Who's Tommy. The central concept is a countercultural interpretation of the Book of Revelation, in which a circus show based on the apocalypse performs for an audience at the same time that the real apocalypse takes place outside the circus tent, and at the end the two merge into one.Ferris described the result as a "concept book", and stated that he intended for the narration to be looser than Tommy, but more rigid than Sgt. Pepper.

A TLDL (Too Long Didn't Listen)
Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horsemen

Last edited:
One of the most unknown weird jazz prog rock amazing bands I've ever discovered which created a few albums then were gone with next to zero live presence. Indukti are so different from everything I've heard in the genre, it's so hard to compare them to anything else I've ever heard. I wish so much they still existed.

Tusan Homichi Tuvota is now infamous in my family with it's signature chorus that my wife and kids demand it be skipped every time lol

Last edited:
Just remembered that I had left everyone for about 3 months without any Epicness.
So I will make amends by posting some epic epicness and since earlier I posted the definitive 80's prog metal concept album it's now time to post the definitive 90's prog metal concept album
Dream Theatre Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
so whats it about your no doubt thinking - well let be tell you

Act I
Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory opens to Nicholas, a troubled man going through past life regression therapy. In a hypnotic trance induced by his hypnotherapist, he begins to see a girl named Victoria Page and a life that feels strangely familiar, despite the fact that he has never been her. ("Regression") He learns that she was murdered, and that he was Victoria in a past life. ("Strange Deja Vu") He begins to believe that Victoria is haunting him to reveal the truth about her murder. ("Through My Words") Nicholas is able to recall that Victoria began distancing herself from her lover Julian Baynes because of his drinking and gambling addictions; she sought comfort in Julian's brother Edward Baynes and began an affair with him. Nicholas assumes that Julian murdered her out of jealousy and then killed himself, a story backed up by a newspaper article covering the events, which cites a witness' testimony. However, Nicholas begins to doubt this series of events, and converses with an older man who was more familiar with the case (an animated video that played during "Fatal Tragedy" on the 2019 tour heavily suggests he is a reincarnated Julian). He realizes that he will never be able to get on with his own life until he solves her murder. ("Fatal Tragedy"; "Beyond This Life", "Through Her Eyes")

Act II
The second act begins by describing Julian's addictions to cocaine and gambling, which drives Victoria away from him. ("Home") Edward feels guilty about deceiving his brother, but decides that his love for Victoria is greater than his guilt, and he seduces her when she is vulnerable following her breakup. ("The Dance of Eternity") After visiting Edward's old house, Nicholas believes he has solved the mystery: Julian had tried to beg Victoria for forgiveness, and when rebuffed, killed both her and Edward, and positioned himself as the witness in the newspaper article. ("One Last Time") Nicholas comes to terms with what has happened, and bids farewell to Victoria. The hypnotherapist ends the session at this point, despite pleas from Victoria's memories. ("The Spirit Carries On") The narrative then cuts to Edward's perspective, revealing that he wished his romance with Victoria was more than a simple affair. As Victoria begins to reconcile with Julian again, Edward confronts the two of them, murders them, then stages the scene and assumes the role of the witness for the newspaper column. The flashback includes Edward telling Victoria to "open [her] eyes" before killing her, echoing the same choice of words the hypnotherapist used to wake Nicholas from his hypnotic trance. ("Finally Free") In the present, Nicholas arrives home, followed by the Hypnotherapist. Nicholas is startled by another request to "open [his] eyes", before the album cuts to (and concludes on) phonographic static. The band confirmed on the Scenes from New York live DVD that the hypnotherapist is Edward's reincarnation, and has killed Nicholas to complete the cycle yet again.

The static that closes this album continues at the beginning of "The Glass Prison", the first song on their next album, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002), and continuing a chain for their subsequent albums until Octavarium (2005) with the same idea but different closing notes.

Back