What is the real cost of a GPU and what can make them cheaper?

Flux

Regular
What is the real cost of a GPU and what can make them cheaper? I was looking at Nvidia and AMD's cards and I was wondering. How much do they cost to make? What is their profit margin on the hardware they are selling to me? Nintendo,Sony,apple(phones),Motorola(phones) and Microsoft pay money to create their own ip's. How does this save them money?

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be other reasons, but the console vendors buy IP because it is cheaper than developing the technology from scratch and it allows them to cost reduce over time which requires less domain expertize.

The physical cost of the GPU or IP design in terms of materials and fabrication is going to be low - on that measure the profit margin is huge.

The real cost of a GPU is the development: skilled staff, Research and development, RTL hardware guys, testing, drivers, SDKs/APIs, marketing, paying license fees, patent disputes, etc. On that basis profit's a lot lower. Easiest way to get it is to read the financial report a of a major graphics company.

Many major OEMs buy in graphics chips/IP for a few reasons. As 3dcgi said, it's cheaper and they can cost reduce on large production runs. Custom silicon can give them features that make their product individual (and just as often allows them to spec an existing chip without the features they don't require). Everything comes down to cost and turnaround time I guess but there are two other big reasons...

1) if you develop your own chip/IP there's a large risk someone else will release something better - if you stay in house there's going to be a your of pressure to use the design even if it turns out to be uncompetitive. If you're sure you're ahead of the curve then that's a good thing and it stops anyone else using things but it's probably easier to shop around and pick whatever looks best when you need to buy.

2) they likely can't create competitive graphics chips quickly enough. There's a very finite amount of engineers, mathematicians, low level computer programmers with the skills to make them. The existing companies have a hard enough time fighting over the experienced hires. If a company wants to enter the field they either need to pick up all the suitable graduates/PhDs they can find, poach a few senior people to lead things and wait 5-10 years or buy an existing company or two to get the staff/designs/patents...

The cost of the graphics chip in your PC/phone/console/whatever is really the cost of not doing the above split over the number of chips produced.

The cost of GPUs to make is not as cheap as you think. The time and labor is large so good yeilds is a big deal as the cost for each die. From what I know now, a wafer is around 9k to 12k each to process and the larger the die the less on a wafer. Lets just use a number of 400 die on a 12" wafer so if every die is usable thats around $25 at a cost of 10k per wafer. From TSMC, AMD/Nvidia are lucky to jut 60% yield now on 40nm so lets say only 230 die are goo for each wafer. Thats $43 each to make the die and thats with out packaging, testing, and PCB and all the components and ports with cooling. Semi-conductor manufacturing is not a simple process and many things can go wrong. The really bad thing is a setting could be off and they might find it after 500 wafer have gone though and by then it too late for the 500 wafers. AMD/Nvidia is charged by the wafer and not the die so if yield is 10% then yo have to pay for it all. The smaller the die the better chance of larger number of working dies and lower cost per die too. This is one thing that killing Nvidia now with the GF100. Theres hope with the GF104 now because its smaller and should be cheaper too if yields are not bad.

I remember when the 4870 vs gtx280 was raging I suggested than nv could sell the 280 at the same price as a 4870 and steal the market, everyone said it couldnt be done, well the price of a 280 has been less than the launch price of a 4870 for a good while

Where did you find a GTX 280? Anyway, it hasn't been manufactured in ages, so the price doesn't say much about manufacturing costs…

Thats just sellers trying to dump what little stock they have. Its better to sell for a loss then to keep it at a total loss. I have pick up AMD PII 805 at Frys at $60 when they are dumping old stock of CPU's when they go EOL.

The cost of GPUs to make is not as cheap as you think. The time and labor is large so good yeilds is a big deal as the cost for each die. From what I know now, a wafer is around 9k to 12k each to process and the larger the die the less on a wafer. Lets just use a number of 400 die on a 12" wafer so if every die is usable thats around $25 at a cost of 10k per wafer. From TSMC, AMD/Nvidia are lucky to jut 60% yield now on 40nm so lets say only 230 die are goo for each wafer. Thats $43 each to make the die and thats with out packaging, testing, and PCB and all the components and ports with cooling. Semi-conductor manufacturing is not a simple process and many things can go wrong. The really bad thing is a setting could be off and they might find it after 500 wafer have gone though and by then it too late for the 500 wafers. AMD/Nvidia is charged by the wafer and not the die so if yield is 10% then yo have to pay for it all. The smaller the die the better chance of larger number of working dies and lower cost per die too. This is one thing that killing Nvidia now with the GF100. Theres hope with the GF104 now because its smaller and should be cheaper too if yields are not bad.

So a 12" wafer(not bulk silicon) on a 45nm SOI(TSMC) fab would cost less if you had each usable die no bigger than say 40mm2-50mm2?

Making the cards cheaper to make won't adjust the price segments the companies target. While market conditions support $500 high end cards, there will be $500 high end cards.

What if you aim to make VERY minimal margins on gpu while recieving full tax expension?

So I create the stage(not-for-profit platform for distibution/marketing/infrastruture) so you can be the actor(content provider/producer).

Back