What is the deciding factor

ERP

Veteran
In a vain attemto to get away from the GB/s and GFlops
What is it that drives your decision to by a console?

To me it's always been the same thing, all it takes is 1 game I must play.

I own 2 NeoGeo's and still don't own 1 Xbox. If I owned an Xbox there would be a number of games I would buy, but it lacks that 1 app that appeals to me. In fact Xbox is probably the only console I haven't purchased since NES.

Gamecube got there with Mario, and Sony made it with BOF, but this gen MS never quite made it for me (don't much like FPS games).

This time around I will likely pick up an Xbox360 just because it's out first. And probably PS3 and Revolution when the games I want to play start shipping on them.

Its GB/s and GFlops that drive me! :p

Actually I've only one console (PS2) and before that, Amiga and Master System. If it has a game library I'm interested in I'll buy it, but I'm finicky and most games don't have that appeal.

With Epic's Gold Mine Engine, the deciding factor could very well be the framerate between these multiplatform games for me. At the moment, I'm staying the hell away from the PS3 controller. X360 is a definite for me because I want Halo 3 and a bunch of other sequels. The Phantagram games are ones I'm looking forward to.

Usually it takes more than one game. I mean I ALMOST bought an N64 just for Mario 64, but in the end it wasn't worth shelling out $200 for just one game. (And the N64 really didn't have anything else worth it for me until a long time past and I was generally ignoring it. Plus, I'd already played the hell out of Mario 64 with a friends'. ;) )

But yes, in the end it's almost always going to be "are the XXXXX-only games worth the money?" Sometimes it's just one, but usually there's the promise of future gaming you want in there as well. But for people with limited budgets, it always comes down to that. Other features, quality levels of shared games, and certain factors adjust that, but in the end it's what the platform ALONE delivers that drives a gamer to it.

ERP said:
It's not hard with me. I'm buying everything. Multiple times, when there's some limited editions...

This coming gen should save me a few bucks, though, seeing I'll get one of the console for free. :mrgreen:

Its the games really. So yeah, once the game libraries start to develope for each console, there will be definitely something in there that will grab ones attention.

I'm not really a early adopter though, so I'll probably be gaming on current gen consoles for a while.

The games man! But I too haven't seen anything on next-gen to interest me yet. So I'll hold out for TGS 2006.

Funny thing is, I'm more looking forward to this gen than the new. Okami, Wanda and FF12 just comes off the top of my mind, plus a few import titles that won't leave the island.

Think MS is gonna do alot better this gen, though Nintendo's console intrigues me. Of course I will be waiting to see what comes up, probably a year after PS3/Nintendo release.

70% software (games, movies, etc), entertainment value
20% hardware / technologie / design (the more alien, custom or non-x86 the better)
10% brand preference, satisfaction with previous products

ERP said:

To me it's always been the same thing, all it takes is 1 game I must play.

I own 2 NeoGeo's and still don't own 1 Xbox. If I owned an Xbox there would be a number of games I would buy, but it lacks that 1 app that appeals to me. In fact Xbox is probably the only console I haven't purchased since NES.

Gamecube got there with Mario, and Sony made it with BOF, but this gen MS never quite made it for me (don't much like FPS games).

This time around I will likely pick up an Xbox360 just because it's out first. And probably PS3 and Revolution when the games I want to play start shipping on them.

I'm pretty much the exact same way. I bought a gamecube for zelda. I bought an xbox (used) for fable. I upgraded my computer for morrowind. I bought new ram for world of warcraft.

I'm probably one of those people the console manufacturers hate. I buy the systems, but only buy one or two games unless I can get them very cheap.

Nite_Hawk

One word xbox live

I'm getting older now and many of my friends have moved . Some of us have work and by the time we get home are too tired to go out . With xbox live we will be able to still chill for a few hours at night . Have some laughs as we kill each other . The whole system looks really good and the games are top notch and it allows us to play this year .

For nintendo .

Well its nintendo they have the games that brought me into gaming and they are still fun and some of the best titles ever made and ever will be made .

For sony

Well I'm going to wait . The platform never really had much that i was interested in and with everyone liscensing engines there will be even fewer exclusives for them this time around . The bluray drive is actually making me wait . I don't want to pick it up , start buying movies and then see hd-dvd win the format war and get stuck with movies i can only play on one player in the house .

Games. Which platform has more of the games I want to play?

I've traditionally bought all or most consoles each generation, but I'd like to pare that down to at most two this time around, and hopefully one. We'll see.

There are a few factors for me:

- the franchises I want to play*
- potential of the console and its future

* sometimes, a game can be enough, but that's highly unlikely. I almost bought a Cube this generation simply for Metroid Prime, but never really went for it. :-/ I might get Revolution though...

As with most others: the games. I will likely not buy two $300+ consoles though, so I'll end up choosing one.

And usually, each console will have some exclusive content that I'd like to play, so then it will come down to other factors...does one have significant;y better visuals? Does one console have the "killer" that I MUST have? What other features?

Looking at this generation, I see PS3 and XBox 360 as basically equal in the games department....both in terms of breadth of games that I'd like to play, and visual quality. So then it'll come down to the "other stuff" for the deciding factor.

At that point, 2 things are tipping me to XBox at this point:
1) Live: Thus far, MS definitely has the more clear strategy, and I like what I hear.
2) Time to market. Better this year than next.

It's also possible that I might pick up a revolution in addition...much will depend on price of the console, and price of the "downloadable" historical content.

It is about the games for me, specifically the games I like. In that regards I have made no decision for this gen.

So what makes a good game and good system for me? A system that has the games I like in the genres I like is important. They have to be AAA games and they have to have a balance of good gameplay, clean graphics, a good controller (VERY IMPOPTANT TO ME... anyone who offers KB/MS support wins!), ONLINE--whoever has these features will get my attention. I try to look at all the product pros and cons and balance them against my tastes. My tastes are not always the same as others, so it is really subjective. Someone who has no broadband access wont enjoy the same games.

I see positives for each right now. Since we know more about the Xbox 360 I think it is easier to highlight the postives for MS for my tastes:

- HDD included, standard.
- The controller (sorry, the PS3 controller is the biggest negative so far for me)
- EA is really backing them (where the 800lbs Guirilla goes...)
- Impressive number of launch (40), and impressive number in development (200). MS went from a weak Xbox start to really having a robust support. This is one key element to a console success and making gamers happy, so this is a plus (but Sony already HAS this sooo...)
- MS focus on development tools
- The games: Halo 3, Jade Empire 2 (hopefully, and whatever else Bioware is working on), Forza 2, Conkers, PDZ (hopefully in far better condition... but 50 players, destructable environments, and ability to scan and paste your body and face onto your online character is AWESOME), PGR series.
- Some of the new game FMV hold promise (always a suspect reason)
- Xbox Live. The service looks like it is exploding in features--usefull features for hard core gamers. This is a huge plus right now.
- Strong PC cross platforming with the PC. I love PC games, so this is big for me that they have a connection.
- Tit for tat, comparing the best live stuff each had to show Xbox 360 did not get blown away. My press quote of the day:

"Biggest moment had to be GoW with the Unreal Engine 3 running. It was the only [his emphasis] thing you could really look at from the Sony press conference to the MS press conference to give a straight one to one comparison. And quite honestly it looked awesome." -- Adam Pavlacka Hardcore Gamer Magazine

Until I see more REAL GAMES I wont be making any decisions. Whether I get an Xbox 360 will totally depend on whether MS can provide NEXT GEN games in good qualities, and specifically games I like. I do not buy a ton of games, but I like FPS (love Halo, TimeSplitters, CS:S), Football games, and FPS-Online games (BF2 type games). I also am racing/flight sim fan, but really like Mario Kart style games and party games like Mario Party. And I am a sucker for good Star Wars games (woot Tie Fighter!) but consoles have let me down there. If someone can do a next gen Rogue Squandron with ONLINE I would be mighty impressed.

Sony has pluses also, a lot. BR, INSANELY POWERFUL, some nice developer support (although I could personally care less about MGS, RE, GTA, Tekken, and FF I know these games sell systems and thus mean more games so that is HUGE), a lot of ports and features, etc... What will be most important for me over the next 24 months is to see if PS3 games materialize (just like seeing how Xbox 360 games materialized... so far I am REALLY underwhelmed and glad BF2 is coming in June so I can play that for over a year!) Sony has to show me that their games are 1. looking like the CGIs and 2. how well do they play and appeal to my specific tastes. Hard to comment more on Pros because we just do not know much right now, especially about the games. PS3 is exciting just because I assume it will have the same level of support PS2 has had. The key will be what specific games they can offer that I like. That is why the FF deal with MS did not get me personally excited (although it is a plus for the system), and the same reason I did not jump up and down with RE4 for the GCN (I did not even buy it). Now GT5 is another story... if Sony can get a BF2 exclusive (not BF Modern Combat) I would be all but won over.

Nintendo... I love Nintendo 1st party games... but they had me cold last year. Although I love their 1st party games I am no longer their primary target with game taste and their 3rd party support stinks. I am always open to Nintendo because they make the best family oriented games around, but they have an uphill battle to convince me that they want me a as a customer anymore. They just do not have quality BF or Halo style games with online, and I will wait to see if they do this gen. On top of that I keep hearing cold things about 3rd party support. If they are not going to get a ton of exclusives and run down 3rd parties they need to start buying them up instead of spinning them off! Love Nintendo games, but they are missing the FPS/Online genre and sports/racing genres I like. Tough to say that because they hit other genres hard and I REALLY like those games, but I like community/online games a lot. So I will wait... maybe they will roll out some quality 1st party online games. But we will have to wait 12 months to know.

Another factor is which one will work with my PC monitors for HD. So I have a lot of questions about the games before I make a decision, but I see some big pluses for MS right now. Of course Sony has my interest BIG TIME, so if they can deliver some actual game footage that rocks + a solid online plan I will be definately giving the PS3 some play test time. Controllers are important to me though... so hopefully Sony drop kicks that nasty thing.

It just comes down to who makes the games I like. I have a scattered interst (Nintendo games, FPS-Online game, racing/flight sims, Football) so it really depends who hits those type games the best. Until then I will stick to my PC with BF2!

Back