What is the deal with the MS wheel?

kyleb

Veteran
I remember a couple of months ago hearing about some "retrofit" recall because of possible fires, so I certainly don't want to buy old stock. I never suspected the issue would effect the availability of new stock though, but looking around the local shops it seems they are nowhere to be found. Also, I saw some alternates, but it doesn't seem like any have proper force feedback support. Am I missing something or is there currently no way to get a decent wheel for my 360?

Strange, I just checked futureshop and best-buy's websites and it seems to be totally unlisted.

I bought mine off ebay, you can get em for around $90. There's still a few kickin around...

No way to get a proper wheel it seems till the new stock come out. You would think MS would be trying like hell to get most stores at least one or two in stock. I wanted to buy one about two weeks ago when I found out just what you are finding out. Pisses me off.

Yeah, I just got a new cocktail table that's top lifts up and forward so I can use a keyboard and mouse comfortably from the couch. After geting that set up, my next thought is that I finally have a good desktop to mount a wheel to. Unfortunately, looking around a bit more it seems Nov 6 is the expected re-release date for wheel, so I guess I'll just contenue playing PGR4 with a controller for now.

Has anything changed at all? I'm assuming they built a properly sized fire-extinguisher into this one that can deal with more than just the power of the batteries, but it otherwise looks the same.

It's pretty decent, but I am not happy in a world where Logitech can't make force feedback wheels for the 360. This, to me, is an unacceptable abuse of power, and I hope someone calls them out for it at some point. Same with the whole wireless thing. Hopefully Guitar Hero's wireless controller for the 360 marks a change in that regard, but I am still miffed that the only way I can properly play (just a few at that) racing games on the 360 with FF is with this peripheral. Sure, it is (a lot!) better than nothing, but there are better wheels out there for less money, and I already own some of them to boot.

/rant

sorry, carry on

Yer I tried the old driving force with the GTHD demo and the feedback is much better than the MS wheel, the only thing the MS wheel has over it, is vibration aswell as force feedback (which is weak)...

Has anyone even had a retrofit yet? In the UK I'm not sure if anything was official or not. My mate was advised, whether by website or email I don't know, to apply for one, and hasn't heard anything since.

Sadly I do not even know anyone with a Wireless Racing Wheel for the 360. So I do not even know how well it works much less about the retro fit deal.

Now it looks as if most stores have totally removed the product from there websites so I am wondering if MS even intends to make anymore.

Yeah, I had some trouble finding one, but I think I managed to snatch one of the last ones one or two weeks ago that actually needed a retrofit ... I'll send it in sometime probably, but not before I've worn it down a little. ;) (though if GT5 Prologue comes to Europe this year, that could seriously slow it down)

When you say 'send it in' do you mean contact MS about a retrofit? As my previous post, mate has done that and had no reply. There hasn't been any contact to tell him where to send it or what to do. MS certainly aren't rushing to fix the problem!

When you say 'send it in' do you mean contact MS about a retrofit? As my previous post, mate has done that and had no reply. There hasn't been any contact to tell him where to send it or what to do. MS certainly aren't rushing to fix the problem!

He's filled out the form and sent it in or just emailed them or something?

If he's not filled the form. Tell him to look here there's a pdf form to send in.

Back