What happened to the P10

Well...

Consider the fact that Creative is selling an R300 solution...and continues to sell nVidia ones as well...

I don't have the link handy, but there was a fairly recent interview with somebody from Creative, and they basically said that it didn't make much sense to bring a consumer P10 to the market...

Personally, I saw this one coming from a mile away, and had received some "tips" indicating that the consumer thing was never going to happen...at least, this round.

I think this might change whenever 3DLabs/CL's comes out with their next version.

I'm just stating that certain individuals from various sites on the net had sent me emails over the last several months indicating that the consumer P10 was probably not going to happen...irrespective to any article/preview/etc. posted on the net.

In addition, let's also not forget what 3DLabs's own people stated...Again, I do not have the link handy...But the guy point-blank stated that the thing would come out before Christmas. I think it was either a high-ranking Creative exec, or it was the head of 3DLabs.

I'm just stating that certain individuals from various sites on the net had sent me emails over the last several months indicating that the consumer P10 was probably not going to happen...irrespective to any article/preview/etc. posted on the net.

Well, the information in that article came from a presentation with Mr Sim, Creative Labs Chairman and CEO and Hock Leow, Creative Labs CTO/3Dlabs CEO - you can't really go much higher than that in Creative! So really, if they were saying that then it shouldn't be any surprise - all anyone had to do was read that article (or other articles from the few who were at the launch)!

The point being is that P10 was always designed as a workstation part, never was it intended for the consumer market - Creative came into the picture very late into the game so there was not any chance they they would be able to have much infulence over the design of the chip. Now that Creative have taken over 3Dlabs has been refocused - the Egham team are now focusing on Consumer (and low end workstation) parts and the former Integraph team are taking those designs and moving them to the high end workstation. So, its designs after these that will see more of a consumer focus.

However, one thing that should also be noted is the talk of products in the 'SoundBlaster price point'. NV30 isn't going to fill that...

Back