What games would you like to see "updated" todays I.Q.?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Lonbjerg, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ban25

Veteran

- Tie Fighter
    - Privateer
    - Subwar 2050
    - Freelancer
    - Mech Warrior
    - Overlord
    - Ultima (a new full fledged Ultima RPG would be great, but another MMO wouldn't be bad either)
    - Dungeon Keeper
    - Wing Commander
    - Master of Orion
    - Falcon
    - US Navy Fighters

2. Snyder

Regular

This guy knows his stuff! Only the Original with pixel-perfect blasts!

3. xatnys

Regular

X-wing Alliance
    Incoming

4. Davros

Legend

my god, another subwar 2050 fan
    that game had a great engine for its day

5. slapnutz

Regular

6. N00b

Regular

I would absolutely love the see Tex Murphy again!

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Shiiit..

So many good memories coming back when reading those names.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

IIRC there is a mod for BGI and BGII that uses a more advacned engine or tweaked engien for higher res etc. Ask Davros he is the one that knows.

9. Davros

Legend

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

omg Tex Murphy... such memories!

11. Doomtrooper

Veteran

I forgot about those old Amiga games, does anyone remember ARCHON with the chess board where when battling to take the spot you actually had to control the characters and actually fight. That would be awesome on MP online with a modern engine.

12. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

Talking about AMIGA games:

Syndicate, from Bullfrog.

How I could forget that one...:shock:

#72 Lonbjerg, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  13. tabs

Veteran

14. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Deus Ex is a game I owned but never really got into playing it. I can play 3D games from 1990 and I can stand every technological level down to the atari 2600, but exceptionnally there are graphics I can't stand.

It looked so ugly even back then in the early 00's, and had bad controls and ugly voice acting :razz:. The engine was such a poor fit, slow and ugly. Unreal/UT were awesome looking fantasy shooter, but using that engine for a realistic setting with tables, chairs, furniture and actual characters is an epic FAIL :)

I don't doubt a remake would be commercially successful.
    that game came a year too soon or maybe took too long to make - it reminds me of the old terminator skynet shooter in a way. I couldn't force myself playing it.

#74 Blazkowicz, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  15. Davros

Legend

skynet was awesome

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

17. green.pixel

Veteran

To me it looks like that EA will use it as a cash cow to monetize on a respectable brand name. Maybe it will go the way of FPS, just like X-Com. And in the process "improving" accessibility, streamlining, aka PR words and excuses for dumbing down games, taking the whole funness factor out of them, all in order to reach the maximum possible audience and therefore making a maximum possible profit. The audience whose majority wasn't even born when those games came out. That kind of shit.

#77 green.pixel, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  18. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

Yeah, that would be sad.
    The reson I would like to see many of the older games updated to mordern I.Q. is that the games (IMHO) were a lot harder than games today.
    I also think there where at lot more variation in games back then.

Today it seems like all games need to be dumbed downed FPS/3rd person spray and prey games.
    I miss games like Xwing, where some level could take a week to master and complete...most games today I can compelte in less that 24 hours gameplay...even a hardest settings.

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

A lot of that is just your impression of those games from when you were generally much less experienced with gaming. Nostalgia, in other words.

You can still play old games you know. I do it quite frequently. Last year I played some X-Com, Master of Orion, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Betrayal at Krondor. I went all the way back to Arcticfox the other day, a 1986 first person sci-fi tank sim. Games were often a lot simpler back then in a lot of cases actually, and I mean beyond just graphics. The whole package was rougher and less refined. Some of the old games baffled me for weeks on end when I was in my teens, but now days I find that I can master them quickly because of experience. X-Com is still a bitch though. :D

Just remember that today we actually have much more variety in games than ever before. Even adventure games have made a comeback now. The only genre that's missing is high quality sci-fi space shooters. Seriously, everything else is still out there.

#79 swaaye, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That and high quality turn based RPGs. Heck, a lack of quality RPGs period that appeal to me. I love the RPG and story aspect of The Witcher for example, but absolutely hate the combat (the combat pretty much ruins that game for me). And the only big RPG release so far this year (not counting DAO expansion) has been a major disappointment (ME 2).

There are some decent turn based RPGs out there, but the graphics are rather horrible, although not bad for shareware titles considering only a handful of people, if that, working on them.

Turn based strategy games are still hanging on, but they are even more buried and hard to find than mediocre adventure games. Also good platformers have pretty much disappeared from the PC.

I have noticed that with the pop-cap style games, there's a lot of recreation of old gaming genre's that just do not exist in AAA gaming anymore.

I'll have to put a nod to the original Mech Commander also that was mentioned above. The second one while having better multiplayer and pretty good 3D graphics for the time, just wasn't as good.

I miss Microprose, they made some freaking great strategy games and simulations in their day.

Regards,
    SB