What exactly is a "Console Game"? (on handhelds)

onQ

Veteran
& why is it only a bad thing when it come to PSP/NGP?

does this only apply when it's a console game from the same gen as the handheld because I remember when Mario Brothers was a console game.

I see people saying that handheld games need to be games that you can pickup & play that don't take a long time to enjoy but if that was the case how come RPGs make such good handheld games.

& how come Metal Gear Solid 3 is ok on the 3DS but would have been just another console port on the PSP?

I'm really confused at this point.

I'm just as confused as you my friend, as to why people would keep spouting this nonsense.

I've come to the point where i just concede that people that say things like these are people who probably don't own a PSP or NDS (or those who just by cognitive dissonance, can't seem to realise that even games like pokemon are no different to the console games we played in the past in terms of scope, depth of gameplay and content).

It's either that or people are simply referring to console game genres that previously haven't worked on the handhelds merely because of the control interface (e.g. FPS on PSP).

Personally I want console type games on handhelds.

However I think the issue is console type game may not provide that pick up and play style of design, so they are less appealing for people who will use their handheld on the bus to work for example.

Another opinion I see a lot is people question why would they play a console type game on a handheld when they can just play these types of games on their home console or PC. This question actually seems legit to me as I never played my DS while at home.

I always thought that console ports and type games on the PSP was seen as a negative aspect of it's library, which is why I'm surprised they are making a similar push with the NGP reveal. I like it though.

I don't mind console games on handhelds, at least in theory. In practice they usually end up controlling like ass, though, especially on the PSP.

If I'm gonna have a few hours to play a game, why would I play on a 5" screen when I can play on a 55" screen?

The same may apply for any type game negating any purpose of gaming on handhelds

uh no

doctors office etc

I play 20 minutes a week or so on my phone, but when I'm home, if I want to game I'm going to play on the big screen.

uh no

doctors office etc

I play 20 minutes a week or so on my phone, but when I'm home, if I want to game I'm going to play on the big screen.

I dont think any gaming dedicated handheld such as the PSP, DS, Gameboy Advance etc ever targeted the 20-minutes-of-gaming-per-week consumer ;)

Neither does the 3DS.

Nope, sure doesn't. I won't be wasting money on any of those devices either. My phone does just fine for that task.

However anyone who is not looking to stare at a tiny screen for hours at a time, probably isn't going to enjoy many console games on a hand held.

Nope, sure doesn't. I won't be wasting money on any of those devices either. My phone does just fine for that task.

However anyone who is not looking to stare at a tiny screen for hours at a time, probably isn't going to enjoy many console games on a hand held.
Anyone who is not looking to stare at a tiny screen for more than half an hour is not part of the target market. Its that simple ;)
But it sure targets millions of others who will buy.

The DS was a massive success. It's games ranged from casual puzzle games to large RPG games. Millions bought it, so apparently there are people who spend more time on a tiny screen. Youngsters especially spend more hours than adults.

Also, the user may find it tiresome having 6 hour sessions or more with a handheld unlike with a console, but it comes with the convenience of being able to switch it off and then switch it on anywhere, anytime which is something you cant get with a console. So it expands the time availability per day to use the device with more breaks between sessions

Anyone who is not looking to stare at a tiny screen for more than half an hour is not part of the target market. Its that simple ;)
But it sure targets millions of others who will buy.

I wonder how large that market is nowadays. I'm a core gamer, I play primarily on pc and some console, playing all the typical 'hardcore gamer' type games. But whereas I used to play core type games on handhelds years ago, I've now transitioned totally to phones for my portable gaming needs. Basically I used to be core/core when it came to games/handhelds but now I'm core/casual. I wonder how many other people there are like me that used to be interested in gaming handhelds, but no longer have any interest in a device dedicated to gaming and instead are satisfied by using a phone for gaming on the go. I wonder how large the market remains for this type of a device. It's an important question to ask because if it is indeed powerful and targeted at core gamers, means it will take developers lots of dollars to make games for it that won't be met with "meh" by said core gamers. I personally have zero interest in such a device but I'm bullish on phones, seems to me like they will take over as the do everything device. I wonder what category I fall into then because I'm a core gamer that has no interested in a portable gaming device. Does that make me core, or casual?

Any arguments for the NGP needs to factor in its large size and likely high price as well as other products it will be competing against.

As for me...before smart phones became common and affordable I gamed on a first generation DS and later a first generation PSP. Nowadays I don't game on either device instead I use my iPhone for casual games. It's hard to beat price + convenience....not to mention free level updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how large that market is nowadays. I'm a core gamer, I play primarily on pc and some console, playing all the typical 'hardcore gamer' type games. But whereas I used to play core type games on handhelds years ago, I've now transitioned totally to phones for my portable gaming needs. Basically I used to be core/core when it came to games/handhelds but now I'm core/casual. I wonder how many other people there are like me that used to be interested in gaming handhelds, but no longer have any interest in a device dedicated to gaming and instead are satisfied by using a phone for gaming on the go. I wonder how large the market remains for this type of a device. It's an important question to ask because if it is indeed powerful and targeted at core gamers, means it will take developers lots of dollars to make games for it that won't be met with "meh" by said core gamers. I personally have zero interest in such a device but I'm bullish on phones, seems to me like they will take over as the do everything device. I wonder what category I fall into then because I'm a core gamer that has no interested in a portable gaming device. Does that make me core, or casual?
But both core and casual experiences are offered by handhelds and the NGP showed such examples ( The matter I touched on the sentence you quoted though was related to time spent on the handheld).

What you are experiencing could be a shift of habit due to age and changes in way of life. My gaming habits changed as well. I am beginning to have less time to spend on gaming and prefer simpler experiences now because I want a clearer mind. And a phone fits better the adults profile.
This though isnt much different to how the previous generation's habits changed as they got older and family, interests or work took higher priority. A 25 year old gameboy gamer during the 90's most likely didnt have interest on a gameboy color a decade later but there were millions of others who bought it

There are always new customers because at the same time we grow older, younger people also become part of the market.

The handheld market is so huge at this point that it may be impossible to expect such a sudden and dramatic change and shrinkage of their market share unless phones offer similarly rich experiences and dedicated gaming that will make a teenager or someone in his 20's prefer a phone.

The NGP may have the performance expected from a hardcore-focused device, but it also has what it needs to provide casual experiences as well. It is not doomed by a hardcore identity unless the developers and Sony decide so.

The price may be a bigger problem in adoption than the offering possibilities for core,/casual gamers and those interested for non-gaming and gaming related apps. When I say adoption I dont mean by you, Alstrong or me but by the targeted market

Kids have also changed, nowadays they want a iphone/ipod just as much if not more than a dedicated handheld gaming device. I don't see kids wanting a NGP to carry around in a backpack...NGP will be a hard sell.

Kids have also changed, nowadays they want a iphone/ipod just as much if not more than a dedicated handheld gaming device. I don't see kids wanting a NGP to carry around in a backpack...NGP will be a hard sell.
I want to get a Ferrari more than I want my PS3 or the next PS. How would that change anything ;)
What about the DS? Do you feel that kids dont want one anymore or that they will want the 3DS less?

I want to get a Ferrari more than I want my PS3 or the next PS. How would that change anything ;)

Last time I checked the NGP is going to be the Ferrari that doesn't fit in a pocket. ;)

What about the DS? Do you feel that kids dont want one anymore or that they will want the 3DS less?

At the end of the day they have to make a choice. I don't think they'll buy a iphone/ipod AND NGP AND 3DS.

Last time I checked the NGP is going to be the Ferrari that doesn't fit in a pocket. ;)
Haha good one :)

At the end of the day they have to make a choice. I don't think they'll buy a iphone/ipod AND NGP AND 3DS.
I think they are going to get an iphone/ipod and one handheld device :p
Thats what many kids have already. ;)

I also don't carry my PSP any more, since I have the iphone. However, all the games I play on the iphone are puzzle games and such, because touchscreen and motion sensors are absolutely horrendous for it. Iphone action games are terrible without any exceptions.

I had actually more hope on the PSP Phone, but the current SE device is an ugly brick. When someone does a proper integration of a phone and PSP, then I'll buy.

All sorts of fascinating posts about why people don't want a NGP, but what exactly is a "Console Game"? (on handhelds)

Back