What does this imply for the P10 in consumer space?

Some Creative reps told me at the WildcatVP launch that they would likely still be using competitor products until they have products for all segments, so they fact that we see Creative Asia making ATI based boards doesn't surprise me (although this particular choice does for reasons that will become obvious in a while). However, whenever talking to Creative I never got the impression they had decided P10 was exactly right for the consumer market and they may be looking to make a different product entirely for that (one that was more fill heavy).

However, one thing to bear in mind with Creative is that they operate as very distinct elements between Creative Asia, Creative Europe and Creative USA (even down to Creative Europe being an NVIDIA preferred vendor and Creative Asia not - which is why Creative Asia are producing ATi based boards as they can get them cheaper than NVIDIA chips) and it may be that whatever they decide to do with P10 or other 3Dlabs based products will be on a regional basis.

If a consumer P10 were to be made available then I'm not sure it this would affect it that much as you would expect the P10 to have higher performance and hence a higher price bracket.

I don't see that. I think it just means that they don't target in Taiwan the same way. I think I remember seeing them listed as a launch partner in Taiwan, too.

To me, this doesn't negate a P10 based part, especially since the 9000 is a very low end part. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the market behavior is very different in Taiwan, and this release is exclusive to that region. It could be a matter of needing to capture mind share right now, whereas their "consumer P10" isn't scheduled for a while yet.

Though, it would be really nice to have some P10 benchmarks from someone...

Back