What does Nintendo do after Revolution?

superguy

Banned
If Revolution fails, do they even attempt another high tech console (knowing the technology gets more and more expensive to keep up with each generation)?

If it succeeds..what does that mean? Do they even need new hardware ever again? Or just keep trying to come up with new controller gimmicks?

I believe Nintendo has said they'll go hi-def eventually, so there's that.

What if Rev bombs..standard console two years in?

Handheld only?

they will atleast break even , and later on make good money of the REV (including peripherals, games etc...) the Revolution is just an extension of their portfolio and not their big moneymaker they have the DS / gameoby for that.
The moment their gameboy (DS or whatever) business starts faltering, thats the moment they really should start to worry

What does Nintendo do after Revolution? Go buy some drugs and alcohol and party. Its the Nintendo way, Iwata especially pushes for this type of behavior.

Oh, and Nintendo was making a killing off of GBA and IS making a killing of the DS and soon to be DS Lite. As hey69 stated, its when they faulter with the handhelds that one should worry.

Okay I guess I should have asked "What does Nintendo do in the console market after Revolution" but it's not like I can edit or anything.

BlueTsunami said:
What does Nintendo do after Revolution? Go buy some drugs and alcohol and party. Its the Nintendo way, Iwata especially pushes for this type of behavior.
Rofl...

It's much too early to be talking about 'what should X do after Y', especially when X hasn't even released Y yet. Even if Rev crashes and burns horribly (unlikely), Nintendo will survive just fine on its GBA and DS platforms. They'll speed up release of a GBA successor possibly, but not really likely. DS is doing far too well right now to worry about such things just yet. Heck, the old phat DS is selling as much or more than PSP in Japan, and both the Lite and the phat together sell even more than all other stationary and portable platforms put together... Financially they're hardly hurting right now I would think.

I don't really care about the after-revolution nintendo history, should I ?

Some ppl have too much time on their hands, and create pointless threads.

Xbot360 said:
If Revolution fails, do they even attempt another high tech console (knowing the technology gets more and more expensive to keep up with each generation)?

If it succeeds..what does that mean? Do they even need new hardware ever again? Or just keep trying to come up with new controller gimmicks?

I believe Nintendo has said they'll go hi-def eventually, so there's that.

What if Rev bombs..standard console two years in?

Handheld only?

I dunno. Same thing if PS3 or Xbox 360 bombs. Rev isn't even out yet, nor are the specs even close to being confirmed.

Can anyone say YAUT?

Guden Oden said:
Rofl...

It's much too early to be talking about 'what should X do after Y', especially when X hasn't even released Y yet.

Not if you're in business. ;)

[size=-2]"While Epic will continue enhancing and improving Unreal Engine 3 for the next four or five years, work has already begun on Unreal Engine 4, which the company sees as a powering force for the fourth PlayStation and third Xbox machines. Serious development won't begin for another two or three years, but the company's programming mastermind, Tim Sweeney, is already scoping out what he expects the future to hold." - CNN Money[/size]

Natoma said:
I dunno. Same thing if PS3 or Xbox 360 bombs. Rev isn't even out yet, nor are the specs even close to being confirmed.

Can anyone say YAUT?

Not really the Xbox did bomb from a financial perspective, Microsoft could afford to loose a 100x as much money as they did and still give every gamer on the planet one for free. Xbox does not play into microsoft profit margins, it's strickly living room realestate.

Nintendo is kinda in the same boat(although to a lesser degree) I'm sure they make much much much much more money off of portables. The answer is simple the big N will keep making consoles until it's not profitable for them and I don't necessarily see that ever happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guden Oden said:
Rofl...

It's much too early to be talking about 'what should X do after Y', especially when X hasn't even released Y yet. Even if Rev crashes and burns horribly (unlikely), Nintendo will survive just fine on its GBA and DS platforms. They'll speed up release of a GBA successor possibly, but not really likely. DS is doing far too well right now to worry about such things just yet. Heck, the old phat DS is selling as much or more than PSP in Japan, and both the Lite and the phat together sell even more than all other stationary and portable platforms put together... Financially they're hardly hurting right now I would think.

Well, can be considered valid if you have such a negative and pessimistic attitude toward a console as many here have towards the Revolution and Nintendo.

In some minds the Revolution won't surpassed the GC and if it does, it will take the generation of 5-6yrs to do it. Fear of the Revolution is strong with them.Joke

The Revolution will probably do much better than the Gamecube did. In terms of sales I think it will get a lot more units through the door. It will be the low cost alternative and will have plenty of games on it that will help ensure sales.

After the Revolution is maybe a continuation of the concept. It wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo has been working on a machine that competes with PS3 or Xbox 360 only to release a few years later. I don't think Nintendo would really go a two tiered approach but they may as well. It's rather hard to say at this point in time because Revolution hasn't even launched yet.

Ok I guess to really really crystallize my question:

Will Nintendo go back to hi-tech consoles if Revolution fails badly?

If Rev fails dramatically, I expect Nintendo to pull out of the console hardware and develop for others, maintaining their handheld business and focussing more on that. that's because Revolution failure would indicate that the market has finally got into convergence and a standalone gaming box won't cut it. However, I don't expect Rev to fail.

V3, they are? Can you point me to a link that has this information? I believe you, but I would like ot know more.

Sonic said:
V3, they are? Can you point me to a link that has this information? I believe you, but I would like ot know more.

I believe he refers to Nintendo's spin-off company PokemonCompany which handles the production and, nowadays, also the distribution of the Pokemon Anime.
Moreover, they started making an anime based on "Hyakunin isshu" (One hundred men, 1 poem).

Wikipedia said:
In November 2004, Hiroshi Yamauchi announced that Nintendo would start making anime. Its first project is an adaption of the Hyakunin Isshu poem anthology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#Anime

I thought Nintendo had been in the Animation Business for ages, in some form, as i remember Mario and Zelda cartoons, and most importantly the Pokemon craze...

london-boy said:
I thought Nintendo had been in the Animation Business for ages, in some form, as i remember Mario and Zelda cartoons, and most importantly the Pokemon craze...

Mario and Zelda were licensed cartoon, meaning holded only the intellectual property but played no part in the content creation.

Back