What does "Moving Goal Posts" mean? *spawn*

I thought it couldn't have exclusives...be unlike MS to move the goalposts tho...cough...kinect...cough

Has "moving the goalpost" become one of those terms that is so overused that it has lost it's meaning? I can see how you would use it in the first case, but I don't understand how MS "moved the goalpost" WRT Kinect. What was the stated goal for Kinect that they didn't meet and then re-stated to allow them to say they met it?

You could call it moving the goalposts or you can say it was just revealing yet another level of a grand strategy. :devilish:

OK. If I'm missing something, help me out here. What was the initial goal or expectation that was presented by MS about Kinect that was not met and what is the re-stated goal MS have set for Kinect so they can say that their goal was met?

Has "moving the goalpost" become one of those terms that is so overused that it has lost it's meaning? I can see how you would use it in the first case, but I don't understand how MS "moved the goalpost" WRT Kinect. What was the stated goal for Kinect that they didn't meet and then re-stated to allow them to say they met it?
It's used incorrectly lately. It's supposed to mean that the person on the other end of the debate has been proven wrong, and should concede the point to the other party, but to find a way to victory, they will re-parameter the argument so that the opposing party must find a way to 'win' again.
AKA, introducing straw man arguments, pivoting...etc

I used to do this so much as a kid, I didn't realize how much I was driving my friends crazy until I grew up. Just concede the point (this will enable both parties to reach common ground), and then bring up a new point (using that common ground so you have some form of baseline), is a much more productive form of debate.

MS moving goal posts... it would be like
a) We can do 1080p
b) With cloud powered we can do 1080p
c) With DX12 we can do 1080p
d) We can do mostly 1080p
e) The quality per pixel is up to the developer
f) Okay, Scorpio.

Last edited:
OK. If I'm missing something, help me out here. What was the initial goal or expectation that was presented by MS about Kinect that was not met and what is the re-stated goal MS have set for Kinect so they can say that their goal was met?

Sorry I was having a bit of fun. I appreciate MS making changes to their One Living Room Strategy and grinding away at the value adds of 4k disk support as well as backwards compatibility. A less Overlordy MS pairs well with a more humbled Sony ( the next gen can start without either Sony or MS ;) )

Sorry I was having a bit of fun. I appreciate MS making changes to their One Living Room Strategy and grinding away at the value adds of 4k disk support as well as backwards compatibility. A less Overlordy MS pairs well with a more humbled Sony ( the next gen can start without either Sony or MS ;) )

Oh, OK. FWIW, I think references to 180's are fair play. They have had to reverse course a bunch. I have less issue with the course reversals than I do with pursuing a poor course to begin with, though. Here's hoping that they finish all of their 180's *before* the product launches this time.

Back