What does a 1.8" hdd cost relative to a 2.5" of the same sizes?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I was wondering if anyone knew the cost differences between say 60-120GB 1.8" drives and their 2.5" counterparts? I was thinking about the Xbox 360 slim model which may be coming at some point in the future and I was wondering if transitioning to a smaller drive form factor would be productive here?

Isn't it likely that a slim module would use the same drive bays? maybe having them mounted on the top rather then the side to reduce the profile?

Well with the current HDD attachment, a slim model Xbox 360 couldn't actually get any slimmer. It could get shorter and it could lose some depth, but thats about it. Essentially it could become more like a box.

With productive, what I mean is cheaper really. I wasn't sure how much 1.8" drives cost. There are no prices on Newegg that I could find to compare.

The HDD could be placed horizontally in a slot inside a slimmer unit. An 360Slim could be as slim as a laptop.

The HDD could be placed horizontally in a slot inside a slimmer unit. An 360Slim could be as slim as a laptop.

Would they simply create another external HDD unit or would it make sense to modify the current unit so it could be used for both a slim and fat console? I.E have the external HDD unit come in two parts, the whole for the old fat console and a part which can break away and be inserted or used with a slim console?

I suppose if they want people to upgrade from old 360Fats to 360Slims, they'll want the same HDD to just plug in. How is the current drive housed? Is it possible to remove the HDD, or have they locked it in good and tight? A split HDD as you describe doesn't make sense to me as it's pandering to two different SKUs, where clearly the Fats will get dropped. At that point, MS's position can be 'if you haven't got an HDD now, you'll have to buy one quick from our remaining stock, or otherwise get a shiny new Slim'. The same happened with PS2 networking. The PS2Slim saw an end to the network adaptor for PS2Fats.

The HDD is locked up good and tight, though they do have a HDD transfer cable which people can use, so I guess people can simply use that to transition from one to the other if they wish to upgrade their console.

I guess in the end they will simply drop the old style eventually and use a new version. Though its unlikely we will see a slim Xbox 360 until 2010 anyway.

Ps3 with external 750+ drives
ps3hdmod.jpg

xec1.jpg

:)

Since I have a mediaserver installed with 4 TB with access to my PS3, I can't even figure how to use the 160GB in the built in HD I have... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That HDD PS3 mounting looks rediculous. Why not just have a WiFi based data distribution system. Unless you're doing very personal stuff on an HDD that you want freely being accessed wirelessly, I wouldn't go through such a waste of time only to have a very ungainly not to mention bulky and exposed (the wires) solution :/

Back